Finnair Mobile phone 'app'

Old May 12, 14, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Finnair Mobile phone 'app'

.... or lack thereof.

Am I missing something? I done a search on my iphone for 'finnair' and it returned no results. Thinking that couldn't possible be right I searched 'airlines' and after my fingers got sore from all the scrolling of airlines that have 'apps' with many airlines far far smaller than Finnair having them, I gave up.

I like to download an airlines app I will be flying with - it's great to have information at your fingertips while on the move. Being able to check in, gate numbers, flight status, delay notifications, air terminal maps etc

C'mon it's 2014 where's our app?
Old May 12, 14, 7:48 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
I could hardly care less for a buggy and intrusive application that is only a glorified wrapper for the corporate website. Last I tried, the American application was a bad joke: check-in always failed and locked me out; and the built-in sudoku were not always solvable!

Finnair has a mobile version of the site, which works just fine for typical mobile activity such as online check-in. I'd rather they don't waste my Finnish taxpayers money writing a pair of stupid iOS and Android applications,
Old May 12, 14, 10:38 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
There is a Finnair iPad app, just not an iPhone one. Strange they didn't make it a universal one for both...
Old May 13, 14, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
I have numerous times been targeted by AY market research where they aim to find out what advances in services and technology would be valued by their travellers.

Naturally applications for smart phones have been on those polls, matched with all other ideas they have, some more far out than others. (One that comes to mind is the book-swap-facility, but there usually are a lot of different ideas on those lists.)

I have personally always put zero votes on app-development, as it really doesn't bring anything new to the table.

My guess is that AY, from these researches, have found out that apps are not sought after by too many and focused on other areas.
Old May 13, 14, 2:54 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
I think where apps are useful are offline BPs, online flight schedule changes and the digital copy of the card.

Therefore, to me, +1 on app development.
Old May 13, 14, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
Offline BP is a good thing, I agree. It certainly can be good to have an AY-app for offline data.

My personal experience however is that offline data is extremely whacky and I no longer trust my smartphone ecosystem to provide me with any vital documents. Example is hotels.com whos app is said to keep everything offline, but as soon as you go flightmode, it either crashes or shows up an endless loop of "please connect to a network".

Another is "checkmytrip" which indeed works offline, but every version update wipes the entire history of flights.

Yet another is Worldmate. Works indeed very well offline. But if the master site is down or unreachable for any reason when your smartphone do have network, it syncs with nothing and wipes your content.
My paid subscription to their push notice service of delayed or schedule changed flights is extremely unreliable, yet they claim to have world class access to such data. Once they insisted my flight had a schedule change to depart 15 minutes later than the true schedule, and kept pushing this info despite flight boarding, closing and departing.

SK's SAS app allows for checkin and seat selection. Only problem is that the loaded seat map does not correspond with the actual plane setup you will fly, so either check in fails altogether or your BP is invalidated when you board and they will happily send you to the nice seat of 33F or whatever is available.

Nominated in category 'worlds most annoying flyer app' is CPH airport. It has a very reliable push notice of flight details, but opens a full screen ad every 30 second, which you need to confirm before you can continue do anything useful in the app.

So these existing flyer apps have formed my view that AY shouldn't go this way. I am happy to be proven wrong!
Old May 13, 14, 6:06 am

Programs: anti-MaRiot SPG-P IHG-S HH-D LeClub/CC-G, BA/A3-G DL/AY-P, Octopus
Or.. do it better. It's not the platform that's the problem - it's the hasty development and lack of quality. Hotels.com UI looks great (on an ipad), but lacks in robustness.
Old May 13, 14, 6:19 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
I think where apps are useful are offline BPs, online flight schedule changes and the digital copy of the card.

Therefore, to me, +1 on app development.
If someone travels a regular route most of the time then a proper airport app can work wonders.

For instance I use the Changi Airport app which works very well both for departures as well as arrivals (not my own, but picking someone up). When I head out to the airport to collect someone I will add a flight to my favourites and I will receive notifications once the arrival time is "confirmed" (this seems to be a Singaporean thing) as well as when the plane has landed. Of course I can check the ETA earlier to see whether I should expect a late/normal/early arrival.

For departures you can also add a flight to your favourites and be informed once boarding starts for instance.
Old May 13, 14, 8:07 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Gold, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by remymartin View Post
Or.. do it better. It's not the platform that's the problem - it's the hasty development and lack of quality.
In other words, it's a cost limitation. Given Finnair is not exactly printing money at the moment, and is not particularly large a company, I see no reasons for them to do any better from.

Amadeus kinda screwed it up with the CheckMyTrip app as someone else already noted, and yet travel-related IT is their core business. It's not Finnair's.
Old May 13, 14, 9:06 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
I prefer apps which are helpful and ONLY that they work 100%

I am referring here to the fact that almost always my mobile boarding pass disappears from my phone when I go to the airport. I usually check-in 36 hours before and get the mobile BP nicely.

Once when it disappeared before entering security lane, I could get it back all the way going from check-in again on my phone and it took me some time and just made my flight.

Another time it had disappeared as well and I was refused to enter security and I was fighting with my phone and finally ran down to check-in desk to get the physical printed out BP and finally made my flight in last second wiping off sweat

Nowadays I always check-in early, get mobile BP, but always print out physical BP if I can, or get one at check-in desk if I have time
Old May 13, 14, 10:30 am

In Finland you don't need to show a physical or electronic boarding pass, it is enough to show your printed or mobile itinerary at the security and ID at gate. I usually have printed the itinerary just for a record for the return flight. I have never had any difficulties with electronic boarding pass apps/passbook. Sometimes I have forgotten to print the itinerary but then I have sought an AY email from my mobile phone verifying that I have a ticket. That has always been enough.
Old May 13, 14, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
Originally Posted by Courmisch View Post
In other words, it's a cost limitation. Given Finnair is not exactly printing money at the moment, and is not particularly large a company, I see no reasons for them to do any better from.

Amadeus kinda screwed it up with the CheckMyTrip app as someone else already noted, and yet travel-related IT is their core business. It's not Finnair's.
I disagree. It is an expectation of passengers these days that a full service airline will offer a variety of web options - including iPhone 'apps'.

Just for interest here are some airlines that DO offer phone apps and probably fall into either the penny pinching or not very large bracket.

Air Berlin, Ryanair, aegean, Egypt Air, SAS, Monarch, Jet 2, Vueling, Pegasus, Sri Lankan, TAP, EL AL, LOT, Nok Air, Croatia Air, Czech Airlines, TAAG Angloan....the list goes on....and on.

In fact it's difficult to find an airline that does NOT have an app.
Old May 13, 14, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I prefer apps which are helpful and ONLY that they work 100%
I couldn't agree more. ^

When you introduce something that is supposed to replace hard paper copies, you better get it close to perfect, because paper copies are simple yet very reliable. But the truth is that this type of apps will fail you now and then, forcing you to keep the paper copies around "just in case". Therefore such an app, IMHO, is useless.

Simple examples:
Inflight I want to fill out my embarkation card so I need to know name and address of my hotel. With the printed hotel reservation (or even the mail version) I can do so easily. With hotels.com-app I cannot.

You usually need to know return date and flightnumber too. If you don't like to memorize this, your e-ticket receipt (which you need to carry anyway) will provide this with 100% certainty. Will your app do that?

I could keep on and on with simple, real life situations where the app-model can and will fail for frequent flyers, but I think my point has been made. Most apps are build under assumptions of constant network connectivity. Offline functionality is often a later addon, shoe-horned into a application model that doesn't really allow it.
I know for a fact that the sync protocol provided by Apple (needed to move online data to local storage in the app) makes developer cry. It is just that bad. The platform just isn't meant to be used offline for any extended period of time.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'd love an FF-app that with ease of use and 100% certainty will provide me with all travel details, before, during and after the trip. I just don't see it happen, especially not if every airline waste their tiny budget on developing on a platform they really don't understand Amadeus seems to be getting the big picture ever so slowly, though. The GDS-players, or perhaps the airline alliances, might pull it off. Time and money is needed. A lot of it.

Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
Nowadays I always check-in early, get mobile BP, but always print out physical BP if I can, or get one at check-in desk if I have time
And again, exactly my take. Early checkin online. If BP cannot be printed at that time, make sure to get BP as pdf in computer or phone or final option as text message. At airport, get hard copy of BP at machine or desk. Never ever get BP into any kind of app.
Old May 13, 14, 1:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
And again, exactly my take. Early checkin online. If BP cannot be printed at that time, make sure to get BP as pdf in computer or phone or final option as text message. At airport, get hard copy of BP at machine or desk. Never ever get BP into any kind of app.
For instance, the Norwegian app has never let me down when it comes to boarding passes. Again, it's otherwise quite buggy as most of the cheap-made iOS apps. Anyway, I don't think one has to worry much about his mobile boarding pass. Should it fail, can the gate agent always find it with the booking reference etc. Also the Passbook boarding passes Finnair introduced a while ago are quite trustable as far as I know as Passbook is iOS' native app.
Old May 13, 14, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duckied View Post
I disagree. It is an expectation of passengers these days that a full service airline will offer a variety of web options - including iPhone 'apps'.
As someone said above, Finnair has such an app.

I can agree to some extent - passengers see existence of apps as a sign of being modern, and their view of the airline is affected by its non/existence.

Assemble some mobile webpages into an app is what most airlines do and that seems to satisfied those needs. For me that just isn't an app and not something that fills my expectations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: