Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Network Holes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Didn't AY operate to HAJ perhaps 20 years ago? STR was mentioned above. Is there potential with any further German destinations?

Russia should have some opportunities, but I assume prices in that market have come down over the past 10 years as there is now more competition.

I'm not convinced N.America to Asia has any potential - ok, certainly seats can be filled, but at ridiculously low prices.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by nanyang
Russia should have some opportunities
This spring Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, Samara and Sochi opened for Finnish operators, AY see opportunities there for sure. But probably not just yet...

Yes Finnair announced KUL via BKK in 2007 but the capacity was suddenly moved elsewhere in Asia.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:35 am

Didn't AY operate to HAJ perhaps 20 years ago?.
Only during some fairs like they flew to Leipzig.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
dreaming here but would love to see AY in Taiwan. RMQ would be perfect, I'll promise to fly 10 round trips a year, that should be enough to get it started right?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I'm not convinced N.America to Asia has any potential - ok, certainly seats can be filled, but at ridiculously low prices.
I wouldn't say Asia so much, but rather the Indian subcontinent. From what I know, people from the East Coast connect in AMS or FRA and people from the West Coast connect in HKG. After doing some plugging and chugging on gcmaps, HEL looked to be the shortest route from pretty much anywhere in N. America to India which seems to be something they should capitalize on.

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
dreaming here but would love to see AY in Taiwan. RMQ would be perfect, I'll promise to fly 10 round trips a year, that should be enough to get it started right?
I think what the OW airlines ended up doing is giving CX CAN and TPE given that they all codeshare. Would be nice to have a TPE route though.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
LIS was A320 -destination. Sometimes A321 also.
Had it been those bigger birds, just curious to know then why they closed if not enough pax?
I would be happy to have LIS service non-stop.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by FFlash
Had it been those bigger birds, just curious to know then why they closed if not enough pax?
I would be happy to have LIS service non-stop.
AY started to codeshare with TAP after they began to flights to Helsinki. Not a big loss as they have better onboard product (hot meals in economy, free newspapers and alcohol). Lisbon is quite difficult market for AY as the aircraft has to overnight at LIS to be able feed Asian flights, TAP has lower staff costs and revenue advantage (ability to feed flights to Latin America).
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Didn't AY operate to HAJ perhaps 20 years ago?
At least in 1980 they did.

Route map from 1980:
http://www.digipaper.fi/bluewings/41312/ (page 43)

HAJ was AY825/826
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Route map from 1980
They had some interesting destinations back then like Baghdad, Montreal, Luxembourg.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by miikkak
AY started to codeshare with TAP after they began to flights to Helsinki. Not a big loss as they have better onboard product (hot meals in economy, free newspapers and alcohol). Lisbon is quite difficult market for AY as the aircraft has to overnight at LIS to be able feed Asian flights, TAP has lower staff costs and revenue advantage (ability to feed flights to Latin America).
Understand.
Oh my, I did fly once TAP and now I recall it was just great. How could I forget that, early Alzheimers???
Sure, TAP is in StarAlliance
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Andaman
They had some interesting destinations back then like Baghdad, Montreal, Luxembourg.
How about the direct HAM-MHQ!

The CPH-BUD would be a nice fit in today's network, if you know what I mean.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:46 am

At least in 1980 they did.

Route map from 1980:
http://www.digipaper.fi/bluewings/41312/ (page 43)

HAJ was AY825/826
During 10days in April wwhen the Spring Trade Fare was on.
LEJ was offered only once in September so they treated GDR and FRG equally.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
And MA also had HEL-ATH-HEL -night flight service in 2005.
Hah, I was just about to mention it. Quite a hare-brained idea it was, IMO.
They did a brisk North-South (and SouthEast-West) transit business, it took decades of heavy government involvment to bankrupt MA.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Andaman
Yes Finnair announced KUL via BKK in 2007 but the capacity was suddenly moved elsewhere in Asia.
No wonder - quite well served route by locals and 5th freedom operators. I flew LH and RJ on this route
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I don't know if AY still has a base at BKK anymore, but seeing how there is one in SIN, would there be any chance for fifth-freedom routes from there? I can see SYD/MEL or KUL/CGK possible, but would the competition be too much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.