Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Network Holes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Network Holes?

I find AY to have some big holes in their network that they should easily fill, but don't, and I find this interesting. Helsinki is the quick way between Europe/Asia and North America/India without flying nonstop. On top of that, AY has apparently never served all of Greece(major tourist destination) or Dublin(high-tech industry for the Nokia types).
Any thoughts?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Finnair used to serve ATH years back but it seems there isn't much demand for scheduled service. There are only Norwegian flying non stop from HEL this summer, nothing available in winter.

The charter operations keep Finnair busy in Greece, the Greek islands are the number one package holiday destination for Finns in summer.

HEL-DUB is an other challenging route, both Finnair and Aer Lingus have pulled out, now there's only Norwegian.

Last edited by Andaman; Apr 24, 2014 at 9:29 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: AY Plus, Eurobonus, Flying Blue
Blue1/SAS used to offer HEL-ATH service and I used it once on the ATH-HEL leg. The flight had probably a 50% load and operated as a night flight.

Last edited by FinlandGuy; Apr 25, 2014 at 12:51 am
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: AY LUMO
And MA also had HEL-ATH-HEL -night flight service in 2005.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I reckon what ATH needs is good connections from BRU, SXB and FRA at this point in time
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:43 am

AY serves like 10 destinations on the islands as charter flights. Enough for tourists. ATH has no business left if they ever did.

AY also has tried STR and NUE but didnīt make them work. How about LYS or LIS? Former is a bigger market than DUB, but also easily reached By TGV from Paris or Geneva. LIS must be too far and only leisure. Would need onward connections to South America and Africa or something to make it work.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
LYS would be a fantastic addition!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: AY Plus, Eurobonus, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
AY serves like 10 destinations on the islands as charter flights. Enough for tourists. ATH has no business left if they ever did.

AY also has tried STR and NUE but didnīt make them work. How about LYS or LIS? Former is a bigger market than DUB, but also easily reached By TGV from Paris or Geneva. LIS must be too far and only leisure. Would need onward connections to South America and Africa or something to make it work.
AY was serving LIS a few years ago. It was an Embraer service with plane and crew doing an overnight there.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Even LYS was annonced a couple of years back but it got cancelled before the flights were started. Twice daily on E90.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Outside of Europe, there are also quite a few holes--mainly CGK, KUL.
I doubt Oceania and CAN would be profitable in the short-term though.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by FinlandGuy
AY was serving LIS a few years ago. It was an Embraer service with plane and crew doing an overnight there.
LIS was A320 -destination. Sometimes A321 also.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
LIS was A320 -destination. Sometimes A321 also.
And now AY serves LIS with nonstop and connection flights by TP.

What makes the Gulf companies so succesful in Dublin, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle. Is it just connections to Pakistan, India and Australia. Aren't there any demand for AY's Asian destinations? Helsinki could offer easy transfer on connections eastwards because no passport and security checks are required from these EU non-Schengen destinations.

Another thing I wonder why there are not year round flights to Venice, Pisa/Florence and Nice. Aren't these popular destinations from Japan and China.

Malaysia used to fly from KUL to NYC via ARN and one of the most direct one stop flights from BKK to US East coast US would go via HEL.

In my dreams there would be connection from JFK, PHL, BOS, YYZ to 2-3 Indian destinations, BKk, KUL, SIN and of course to new Russian destinations which are now permitted.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by discoseal
Outside of Europe, there are also quite a few holes--mainly CGK, KUL.
I doubt Oceania and CAN would be profitable in the short-term though.
Wasn't KUL announced a few years ago also and then pulled before launch?

Not sure if for example BA have returned to KUL by now, but I think it's a tough market - at least yields are really poor generally. OK, traffic last year was up by 18-19%, but average yield perhaps -10%. Why AY would get into the mix is something I don't know.

CGK - I'm not too familiar with the Europe to Indo market, but what would drive demand here?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
I reckon what ATH needs is good connections from BRU, SXB and FRA at this point in time
heehee - having said that, Aegean seem to be doing well (which is great to see BTW as it's a well managed business):
http://en.aegeanair.com/investor-rel...announcements/
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer

In 2007 or so HEL-DUB had AY and KF in the summer + then FR DUB-TMP. EI left the market after summer 2013 (DY started summer only last year) and now it's only DY. I presume the fact it's mostly leisure and 3h flight time makes it less appealing.

SK traditionally have quite a few people between DUB and HEL. This year I've paid EUR600 o-w on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.