FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Delay problems of AY69 / AY99 HEL-HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1571619-delay-problems-ay69-ay99-hel-hkg.html)

ffay005 Feb 6, 2020 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rivarix (Post 32033023)
Is this due to a spare/extra A359 around or is the plane becoming more reliable? I guess I'm trying to figure out whether the improvement is permanent (due to A359 increase reliability) or temporary (due to spare A359 which will eventually be deployed elsewhere). AY99 is always a gamble :D but with better odds, I may give it a try again.

When will you be flying?

At the moment. AY has 3-4 aircraft idling daily because they’ve cancelled flights to mainland China because of the flu.

Moreover, it sounds to me like AY is not only targeting HKG anymore. Back when they decided to fly to Dubai via Egyptian airspace instead of the more direct route via Iran, this led to delays on the midnight A350 services, and they delayed both HKG and SIN, on alternating days. So it does sound like HKG isn’t the victim all the time.

NoWindowSeat Feb 6, 2020 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 32040762)
Has anyone been on HKG flights lately? What have the loads been like now during the Chinese flu?

Haven’t flown myself now but heard from others that actually not that bad at all, not full but definitely not empty either...maybe AY is getting some add. pax as so much cancellations to mainland. HKG virus situation is also not too bad so those who need to go are still going..

ffay005 Feb 6, 2020 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat (Post 32040926)
Haven’t flown myself now but heard from others that actually not that bad at all, not full but definitely not empty either...maybe AY is getting some add. pax as so much cancellations to mainland. HKG virus situation is also not too bad so those who need to go are still going..

I’m glad to hear this. Many airlines have stopped flying to HKG so perhaps they reroute pax on AY.

In this case, it’s a huge advantage that CC is outsourced to HKG. North American Airlines in particular have problems with HKG flights because crews refuse to fly there.

NoWindowSeat Feb 6, 2020 1:53 pm

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1ba3eb6184.png
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...30025abeb4.png

Tonight’s 99 one hour before departure looks like above so loads are not crazy bad... Y+ seems empty, though..

Antx Feb 6, 2020 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat (Post 32041099)
Y+ seems empty, though..

That new pricing seems to work.

Rivarix Feb 19, 2020 5:54 am

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 32040782)
When will you be flying?

At the moment. AY has 3-4 aircraft idling daily because they’ve cancelled flights to mainland China because of the flu.

It will be in the summer ... assuming all these flu stuffs calm down. Otherwise, I'll skip HKG and stopover in Japan.

BKPB Feb 16, 2023 5:11 pm

Thought that this was a problem of the past due to COVID... turns out it recovered too.
AY99 delayed on 25 Jan for 5 hours, saved by AY62 from Tokyo this time.

And due to a longer route, AY99/100 is no longer doable in a 24 hour turn. Interesting to see how things will play out again

lkrt Feb 16, 2023 9:45 pm

I wouldn’t be convinced or even worried of the trend returning by a one-off delay.

OH-LGG Feb 16, 2023 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by BKPB (Post 35017436)
Thought that this was a problem of the past due to COVID... turns out it recovered too.
AY99 delayed on 25 Jan for 5 hours, saved by AY62 from Tokyo this time.

And due to a longer route, AY99/100 is no longer doable in a 24 hour turn. Interesting to see how things will play out again

AY99/100 never was 24 hour turn -route. That delay was due to 2 x A359's out of service in Asia.

And in this new world those 24 hrs turns are history. Now new world and new strategy.

r2d2 Feb 17, 2023 12:15 am

Originally Posted by BKPB (Post 35017436)

I'd guess it was just bad luck this time. Currently AY99/AY100 has a few hours turnaround in HKG and departing HEL with a delay will result in a delay coming back as well. The situation isn't any different to the other AY longhauls departing HEL around midnight.

Pre-covid the turnaround time in HKG was so long, that whenever there was an A350 missing, the problem was moved to AY99, as thanks to the long turnaround AY100 could still depart back on time.

Originally Posted by OH-LGG (Post 35018008)
Now new world and new strategy.

Did you mean: Now new world and no strategy? :D