FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finnair | Finnair Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus-636/)
-   -   Delay problems of AY69 / AY99 HEL-HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1571619-delay-problems-ay69-ay99-hel-hkg.html)

HarryKUK Jul 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Does anyone know if the AY99 delayed service to HKG (scheduled for 26th, departed 27th July) will readily qualify for EU261? Or are these claims routinely rejected by Finnair?

Thanks.

skba1 Jul 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by HarryKUK (Post 30020385)

Does anyone know if the AY99 delayed service to HKG (scheduled for 26th, departed 27th July) will readily qualify for EU261? Or are these claims routinely rejected by Finnair?

Thanks.

I was on that flight and there is no reason why it would not qualify. They were short of aircraft at home base.... [Aircrafts going tech is per definition not extraordinary, which was the case of one of their inbound aircraft meant to service another route so as far as I understand from our experts above.]

I have just filed a claim - let's see how fast they are at denying it; or if they have cleaned up their act.

florens Jul 30, 2018 2:57 am

Today/Yesterday AY143 to BKK was delayed overnight and departed 0814 today instead of 2355 last night.

r2d2 Jan 6, 2019 5:11 am

AY99 has been pushed to the morning once again.

However, today there's an extra flight to HKG in the afternoon: AY7211, departing at 1735 (only 40 mins behind AY101). Maybe LWD going to maintenance at HAECO? I wonder what kind of loads they have on AY7211 and would AY be liable for less compensations by delaying it to midnight and filling it by AY99 passengers.

SuloL Jan 6, 2019 6:28 am

Originally Posted by r2d2 (Post 30616904)

However, today there's an extra flight to HKG in the afternoon: AY7211, departing at 1735 (only 40 mins behind AY101). Maybe LWD going to maintenance at HAECO? I wonder what kind of loads they have on AY7211 and would AY be liable for less compensations by delaying it to midnight and filling it by AY99 passengers.

Looked at the loads for AY7211 out of interest. In J only 2 seats available, In Y, a few dozen seats still available.

OH-LGG Jan 6, 2019 7:29 am

Originally Posted by r2d2 (Post 30616904)

Maybe LWD needs to be at HAECO on time and AY 99 is too late.

And AY99 aircraft swapped to AY131. For some reason OH-LWI from DXB is not going to SIN as 131 today. AY99 waiting for OH-LWA from HKG.

ffay005 Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm

For those of you who have been on a delayed AY99, leaving in the morning: What is catering like? Will they stick to the original plan and serve you a one-tray midnight menu at 9 am Finnish time, and a pre-arrival breakfast at 9:30 pm HKG time? Or are these two perhaps inverted? Or is there a different concept altogether?

SuloL Mar 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 (Post 30879766)
For those of you who have been on a delayed AY99, leaving in the morning: What is catering like? Will they stick to the original plan and serve you a one-tray midnight menu at 9 am Finnish time, and a pre-arrival breakfast at 9:30 pm HKG time? Or are these two perhaps inverted? Or is there a different concept altogether?

Haven't had this myself, but a friend was on one of those morning flights recently and they started with the breakfast and then main meal closer to landing.

intuition Mar 13, 2019 2:25 am

I had a few multi hour delays several years ago. It was original catering for those who left during the night, but I can't recall what happened on the one that was delayed 8h+. They possibly can't keep the same food for such a long delay, could they? I think they need to trash and cater new for such a delay.
(I think someone put that question to the manager of Finnair kitchen on the last meeting, but spoke Finnish so I could not follow the conversation)

Unionruler Feb 1, 2020 12:57 am

Just saw this thread. Out of curiousity, if I don't care for compensation and only want to be back in Asia ASAP, if AY 99 is delayed will AY rebook onto the SIN/ BKK flights?

lkrt Feb 1, 2020 1:01 am

I don't think such delays are nearly that common anymore? I wouldn't worry about it.

Rivarix Feb 3, 2020 7:09 am

Originally Posted by lkrt (Post 32019330)
I don't think such delays are nearly that common anymore? I wouldn't worry about it.

Has AY99 on-time performance really improved? I've always preferred afternoon arrival but never liked the idea that with AY99, more likely than not I have to wait for hours in the middle of the night at HEL (with no lounges) ...

intuition Feb 3, 2020 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Rivarix (Post 32026840)
Has AY99 on-time performance really improved? I've always preferred afternoon arrival but never liked the idea that with AY99, more likely than not I have to wait for hours in the middle of the night at HEL (with no lounges) ...

Yes, a quick look at the stats from flightaware for the last 9 months says that AY99 have been delayed more than 60 minutes only 13 times (plus one diversion). Only 8 of them was above 3 hours. When AY69 was the favourite escape-goat for every problem in operations, there was at least two 8h+ delays every month.

Agreed that having a 3h+ delay every month still is in no way acceptable.

Rivarix Feb 4, 2020 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 32027120)
Yes, a quick look at the stats from flightaware for the last 9 months says that AY99 have been delayed more than 60 minutes only 13 times (plus one diversion). Only 8 of them was above 3 hours. When AY69 was the favourite escape-goat for every problem in operations, there was at least two 8h+ delays every month.

Is this due to a spare/extra A359 around or is the plane becoming more reliable? I guess I'm trying to figure out whether the improvement is permanent (due to A359 increase reliability) or temporary (due to spare A359 which will eventually be deployed elsewhere). AY99 is always a gamble :D but with better odds, I may give it a try again.

ffay005 Feb 6, 2020 12:35 pm

Has anyone been on HKG flights lately? What have the loads been like now during the Chinese flu?