Wiki Posts
Search

Missing my return flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Missing my return flight

Hi all,

I signed up so I can ask this one question! Searched the internet, and I did find a few answers but no entirely specific to me. I want to ask if anyone has done this with this airline (which I very much like so don't want to be blacklisted by them!)

So after booking my return flight from the UK to Japan, due to to some circumstances, I won't be able to take my flight back to the UK. Visa and such in Japan is not an issue, but I'm not sure what to do with my return flight. I can't exactly cancel it, so do I just not go? I'm worried it'll cause a big mess and I'd like to continue using Finnair in the future without any issues. I don't have the greatest of reasons for not taking the return flight and I'm worried they will think I just bought a return flight so I wouldn't have to buy the one way ticket, which is quite extortionate for what it's worth...

Is it better to say nothing? Or tell them? Would I have to pay the difference for the one way ticket?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You can just miss the flight.

If you do this often, Finnair might figure out that you are trying to use the one way only, but not just once.

Be sure to check and see if the return flight is cancelled or changed significantly, as you might then be able to claim credit.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Why can't you cancel it? I've missed a few flights and never had a problem. Check your ticketing terms for the possibility of a partial refund.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Missing my return flight

Sometimes when you cancel they recalculate the fare as a single ticket and you end up having to pay a lot more.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Sometimes when you cancel they recalculate the fare as a single ticket and you end up having to pay a lot more.
That's what I'm kind of worried about. It won't be the end of the world, if I ended up having to pay extra in the end...but of course paying nothing would be far better!

When I called up before I did ask was I able to cancel that part of he trip and they said no...I presume maybe they thought I wanted to cancel without having to pay anything.

If I miss the flight, is it best to not say a word or to make an excuse, call them and let them know?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
You worry too much. If you're absolutely determined to play your cards right, show up at the airport at check-in when the gate has closed and say you slept in.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:30 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
If you won't show up for your return flight to UK, that's it. They will not hunt you down for additional payments, damage etc. I occasionally drop the last leg of my trips. No big deal.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I know I'm worrying about it too much but I haven't done anything like it before, and don't want to cause any problems for the airline, and myself.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
As long as you don't check-in, there shouldn't be a problem - you'll be one of those no shows that AY dreams of on oversold flights. If you're automatically checked in, check out.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AY Emerald
Originally Posted by remymartin
As long as you don't check-in, there shouldn't be a problem - you'll be one of those no shows that AY dreams of on oversold flights. If you're automatically checked in, check out.
When travelling cross the world, I sometimes have tickets for legs I have no intention to use. This is simply because of complicated ticketing rules and prices. Most often ruturn ticket is much cheaper that oneway ticket. You will be fine.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I've actually been in a lounge for a few hours after check-in with no intent to travel. Honestly, its no big deal, just skip it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:13 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dera
I've actually been in a lounge for a few hours after check-in with no intent to travel. Honestly, its no big deal, just skip it.
How about purchasing a oneway full fare F ticket and spending the afternoon in CR at LHR, later call to ticketing, cancelling the refundable ticket and taking AA business class, or whatever, for that matter, across the pond.

Not recommended, but totally possible.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
How about purchasing a oneway full fare F ticket and spending the afternoon in CR at LHR, later call to ticketing, cancelling the refundable ticket and taking AA business class, or whatever, for that matter, across the pond.

Not recommended, but totally possible.
Even better when your final destination really is Manchester. Eat and drink at CCR for 12 hours, cancel your F res to wherever, and buy a £59 one-way to Manchester and fly there instead

Would be a funny discussion with ticketing though. "Yes, I decided I don't want to fly to Singapore in First, I'd rather go to Manchester!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.