Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Strikes and strike threats with potential to disrupt AY and other flights to/from HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strikes and strike threats with potential to disrupt AY and other flights to/from HEL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:37 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OldHigsonian
Its irritating they do this. I wonder what the logic is for deciding which flights to kill?
Assumingly flights that otherwise would have been stranded somewhere.

...By then it will be over of AY will be bankrupt.
AY has some very solvent owners. Bankruptcy is not in the cards. But if the year ends in losses then some major structural changes may come sooner than later.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
Assumingly flights that otherwise would have been stranded somewhere.
OK, so that explains why these are flying...

AY731 15-Nov-2013 Helsinki Malaga 06:20 10:00
AY961 15-Nov-2013 Helsinki Dubai 08:25 16:30

There are lots of flights scheduled which the planes and crew dont have a chance of returning before the strike starts e.g. virtually all german flights.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The unions have not targeted all flights / all crew. They have chosen a few crews to strike, and distributed the days on which they strike all over the place. This way, the union can have only a few staff on strike and still completely shut down operations. All other crews will "be working" but they will not have anything to do, as the crew before them didn't work and didn't bring the plane home.

The flights you see probably has crews all that day.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US
OK, so that explains why these are flying...

AY731 15-Nov-2013 Helsinki Malaga 06:20 10:00
AY961 15-Nov-2013 Helsinki Dubai 08:25 16:30

There are lots of flights scheduled which the planes and crew dont have a chance of returning before the strike starts e.g. virtually all german flights.
They operate all the charters (as usual with all the strikes) so I'm guessing the fact that these are very package-holiday-heavy routes is why those two are operated.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
got rebooked on BA for JFK-HEL-DEL cancelled this weekend. one of the easiest, most painless rebooking experiences ever (couple minutes).
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:01 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
An agreement proposal has been given at ~4am local time and answers expected by 10am. The employee union is ready to accept it so it now depends on the employer side if they can/will accept it or not.

According to the current info ca. 110 flights cancelled today regardless of the outcome.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
An agreement proposal has been given at ~4am local time and answers expected by 10am. The employee union is ready to accept it so it now depends on the employer side if they can/will accept it or not.

According to the current info ca. 110 flights cancelled today regardless of the outcome.
FAs and ground crews got into agreement and their strikes are cancelled. However the catering dispute is still ongoing and parent organization of Finnish transport workers' unions have threatened with supportive labor actions next week. It is unclear whether those will affect air traffic but they do have power to for example shut down fuel transports to airports.

Situation regarding EC 261/04 compensations for cancelled flights should be interesting since there will be no strike. Though it will be certain that Finnair will go through the entire court system before paying up anything to anyone. And thinking about it, it was probably better thing to cancel flights and reroute passengers proactively rather than wait until last minute and risk leaving thousands of passengers stuck in HEL.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Kallio
it was probably better thing to cancel flights and reroute passengers proactively rather than wait until last minute and risk leaving thousands of passengers stuck in HEL.
My take, too. Happier to be re-routed on BA via LHR than risking not leaving HEL at all - even though if it means one more day in BKK and a bucketload of more Avios.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Although if ground handling etc start supporting strikes on Tuesday, it just might be that no flights on any airline operate....

Do we need to start considering a boat to STO and get a flight from there, I have BA codeshare with AY on 26.11. to LHR and am wondering what will come out of all this.... But BA won't change the flight without a 300 euro fee, unless the flight is definately cancelled.

Pity BA doesn't fly to TLL...
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:06 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Original Poster
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by sakari1707
Although if ground handling etc start supporting strikes on Tuesday, it just might be that no flights on any airline operate....

Do we need to start considering a boat to STO and get a flight from there, I have BA codeshare with AY on 26.11. to LHR and am wondering what will come out of all this.... But BA won't change the flight without a 300 euro fee, unless the flight is definately cancelled.

Pity BA doesn't fly to TLL...
I have a flight on Thursday to CDG (continuing to BOS), and I have researched also the options ex-TLL and ARN!
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Negotiations for LSG sky chefs have broken down. No new efforts will be made before sunday at 11:00.
Tuesday next week support strikes will hit AY, so monday we will start seeing new flights cancelled.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I'd be mightily p**sed off if I negotiated a contract with the employees and an hour later they informed that "oh, by the way, we are gong to strike anyway - but this time it's a support strike of some other blokes"
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by haricharan
got rebooked on BA for JFK-HEL-DEL cancelled this weekend. one of the easiest, most painless rebooking experiences ever (couple minutes).
I also got rebooked on BA for ICN-ZRH. Also most painless rebooking experience ever.^
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:11 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Interesting week..if the strike starts tomorrow Tue-Fri are suddenly completely empty as far as my calendar is considered..weird feeling but I haven't even started to look for any alternatives..I'll just be grounded at home and that's it..

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Nov 18, 2013 at 2:42 am Reason: typos..bloody ipad..
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Let's hope they come into senses.

Lufthansa is grounding Finnair and most of Finnish cargo transportation and harbours.

Is Mr Rosch next Elop = and next step would be Lufthansa to buy out all of AY.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.