Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Strikes and strike threats with potential to disrupt AY and other flights to/from HEL

Strikes and strike threats with potential to disrupt AY and other flights to/from HEL

Old Nov 7, 13, 1:40 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Original Poster
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite

I thought I would create a master thread for all the news regarding strikes and strike threats at AY, HEL and elsewhere with potential to disrupt our travels. Also, any and all stories about service recovery would be welcome...

I hope we don't have to make this a sticky!
Old Nov 7, 13, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
LSGSkychef walkout

The staff of LSGSkychef walked out on Friday, November 1, and this has bascially stopped all catering on intra-European flights. Finnair claims long-haul is unaffected, does anybody have experience from recent days?

On longer intra-European flights AY serves water, juice and a sandwich. That's it. (Of course, not that different from standard Y offerings, but now even money won't help...) On shortest trips, apparently only juice and water. If you are in C, you will get a Ä20 voucher as an apology.

National Conciliator has been called to assist.
Old Nov 7, 13, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Cabin crew union's and Aviation Union's strike warning

This is directly from Finnair's web page.

FINNISH CABIN CREW UNIONíS AND FINNISH AVIATION UNIONíS STRIKE WARNING

Finnish Cabin Crew Union and Finnish Aviation Union have published a strike warning starting on November 15th until November 23rd. The negotiations are ongoing and we look forward to a positive outcome to avoid the strike. If the strike starts it would have a severe impact on Finnair operations. We update the information about the strike threat and its impact on Finnairís customers and operations to this web page.

Of course I have HEL-VIE coming up on Nov 17...
Old Nov 7, 13, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Would they re-route my HEL-BKK or would I just get stuck at home?

From my ticket point of view, it wouldn't be even "stuck at home" because I'm on a stopover in HEL on my way from BUD to BKK
Old Nov 7, 13, 3:14 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by SPBanker View Post
The staff of LSGSkychef walked out on Friday, November 1, and this has bascially stopped all catering on intra-European flights. Finnair claims long-haul is unaffected, does anybody have experience from recent days?

On longer intra-European flights AY serves water, juice and a sandwich. That's it. (Of course, not that different from standard Y offerings, but now even money won't help...) On shortest trips, apparently only juice and water. If you are in C, you will get a Ä20 voucher as an apology.

National Conciliator has been called to assist.
I flew LHR HEK HKG in C on Nov 5. Long haul was catered, LHR HEL was sandwiches, juice, and no voucher in C.
Old Nov 7, 13, 3:25 am
Original Poster

This is directly from Finnair's web page.

FINNISH CABIN CREW UNIONíS AND FINNISH AVIATION UNIONíS STRIKE WARNING

Finnish Cabin Crew Union and Finnish Aviation Union have published a strike warning starting on November 15th until November 23rd. The negotiations are ongoing and we look forward to a positive outcome to avoid the strike. If the strike starts it would have a severe impact on Finnair operations. We update the information about the strike threat and its impact on Finnairís customers and operations to this web page.

Of course I have HEL-VIE coming up on Nov 17...
I should note that the Cabin crew union's strike would also affect Blue1 and the Aviation Union's strike ALL flights.
Old Nov 7, 13, 3:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Plat, BA Silver, HHonors/Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
Would they re-route my HEL-BKK or would I just get stuck at home?

From my ticket point of view, it wouldn't be even "stuck at home" because I'm on a stopover in HEL on my way from BUD to BKK
AY tends to keep the tourist routes in operation during strikes so I wouldn't worry too much about Bangkok..
Old Nov 7, 13, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's wrong with AY that they have these strikes each and every year?
Old Nov 7, 13, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black

Yes, NRT-HEL 2 days ago - Catering seemed unaffected, all items on the new menu, including on demand food, was available. No drinks before take off but I reckon that was just mistake.
Old Nov 7, 13, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Well, I am flying HEL-ICN on November 25 and I just received an email informing me that my flight has been changed to depart a day early on November 24. This is unacceptable since I have business to do in HEL on November 25.

Update: after calling AY twice, I finally got a sympathetic ear from an agent who rerouted me to ICN via PEK on November 25.

Last edited by Peregrine415; Nov 8, 13 at 3:09 am
Old Nov 7, 13, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CAMRA
I am flying HEL-SIN on AY81 in J on Saturday 9th Nov and I cannot pre-order a meal, is this a sign of trouble?

G50
Old Nov 7, 13, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QR PC Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, SK EB silver, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD, SJ Black
The function is normally very cranky, so I don't think that is any sign.

Preorder closes 24 h before take off, so if you really want to do it, you better call them.
Old Nov 8, 13, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, CAMRA
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
........Preorder closes 24 h before take off, so if you really want to do it, you better call them.
Thank you for the tip, I just called and ordered. This was my first call to Finnair customer services, what a pleasant and efficient experience! ^
Old Nov 9, 13, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got an email that my HEL-BKK is/might be affected.

Gave them a call, asked for a rerouting (NB - this is NOT mentioned on the AY site as an option) and in 5 minutes I'm rebooked to BA! Now fingers crossed for an op-up to F! All in all I get one extra day in BKK, a lot more Avios and TP

^ for AY customer service!
Old Nov 9, 13, 9:58 am

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
Got an email that my HEL-BKK is/might be affected.

Gave them a call, asked for a rerouting (NB - this is NOT mentioned on the AY site as an option) and in 5 minutes I'm rebooked to BA! Now fingers crossed for an op-up to F! All in all I get one extra day in BKK, a lot more Avios and TP

^ for AY customer service!
Great service from AY to reroute even though theres no guarantee it will be affected? Heres hoping my DBX flight will have the same "issues" in late Nov

Search this Thread
Search Engine: