Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finland, Finnair, and credit cards - pre 2020 discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

You can now exchange 5 membership reward points for 4 AY points. "Finland, Sweden, Germany and Austria will launch the first phase of the global partnership agreement this week followed quickly by France, the UK, Italy, Spain, India, Japan, Thailand and Hong Kong on October 3, 2011."

I think it is not a very good exchange rate. Before it was 1 point for 4 FIM, after that it was 1 point for 1 Euro (roughly 6 FIM). After a few year's break it is now just 0.8 point for 1 euro. It is the same rate as for many other FF programmes only that 1 AY point is one kilometer and most other programmes count in miles (or Avios ). Compared with Diners Club this is very lousy (2 points for 1 euro).

Last edited by nordic; Sep 23, 2011 at 8:43 am
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I appreciate that there is more choice to use my MR points. The exchange rate is what is, it should be compared to what one would get for that

5MR -> 4 AY+
5MR -> 4 BAEC
5MR -> 4 SKEB

I am not too good with the redemption rates/availability of different airlines - SK definitely has the advantage over AY that they don't charge YQ on rewards.

(I wish AMEX would bring back their Hilton co-branded card - that used to be good value)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:00 pm

I think the most direct comparison would be between oneworld awards, which are distance based in both FFPs.

Code:
BAEC:                  AY+:
10.000mi =  87.500MR   15.000km = 150.000MR
20.000mi = 125.000MR   35.000km = 225.000MR
50.000mi = 200.000MR   80.000km = 300.000MR
So if my calculations were correct, MR points converted to AY+ have about 55 to 67% of the value they have on BAEC, at least when used for oneworld awards.

If used for upgrades (and for the sake of comparison assuming a two-class BA long-haul flight where upgrades directly from Y to J would be possible), the rate would be 20.000-35.000 BA miles (25.000-43.750 MR) vs. 45.000-55.000 AY+ points (56.250-68.750 MR) one way - AY being roughly twice as expensive depending on the destination. Here one must remember, though, that AY+ allows upgrading any economy fare while BAEC only allows Y/B/H, so these are not directly comparable.

AY vs. BA flight rewards might tell yet another story, but all in all: It's a nice addition to the MR program, but I can't see myself converting MR points to AY+ very often. I also can't see how they are going to be competitive with AY's co-branded credit cards.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
(I wish AMEX would bring back their Hilton co-branded card - that used to be good value)
I agree. But it is not very likely to happen because Scandic is not part of Hilton anymore and Hilton presence in Nordic countries is very lousy. Finnair co-branded Amex is more likely. Please Amex launch BA card with 2for1 in Finland.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by Anselmi
I agree. But it is not very likely to happen because Scandic is not part of Hilton anymore and Hilton presence in Nordic countries is very lousy. Finnair co-branded Amex is more likely. Please Amex launch BA card with 2for1 in Finland.
BA card with 2 for 1... I'd grab that immediately!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

How many membership reward points do you need to be exchanged for a Helsinki-New York return flight in Y?

According to www.americanexpress.fi

Air France/KLM 75 000
British Airways 81 500 (to be changed in November)
Delta 93 750
SAS 75 000

and Finnair 156 500 !!!
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nordic
How many membership reward points do you need to be exchanged for a Helsinki-New York return flight in Y?

According to www.americanexpress.fi

Air France/KLM 75 000
British Airways 81 500 (to be changed in November)
Delta 93 750
SAS 75 000

and Finnair 156 500 !!!
On the Finnair site it says North America 125.000 in Y and 200.000 in C. (shockingly high amounts)
Old Oct 28, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
On the Finnair site it says North America 125.000 in Y and 200.000 in C. (shockingly high amounts)
As noted earlier 5 Amex points = 4 AY points. Therefore 156000 Amex = 125000 AY. But ridiculously high, same with upgrade, R/T to NYC 90000 Ay points!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sakari1707
As noted earlier 5 Amex points = 4 AY points. Therefore 156000 Amex = 125000 AY. But ridiculously high, same with upgrade, R/T to NYC 90000 Ay points!
OK my bad, I just read "points" instead of "reward points". The conclusion is the same, however
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:40 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Some conclusions from this:

1. AY program is extremely poor with (most) credit cards - DC being a decent value, especially for Plats/Golds

2. almost any flight award with AY is extremely poor value as well, especially the Y awards.

In general, AY plus is a great program for people who fly paid J with AY - (even if you fly a lot paid J/F with other OW carriers AY plus is just not on par)...and use their points for upgrades. For all the rest, well...I rest my case.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't want to create a new topic so I bring up this one

I had my usual yearly chat with AMEX CS yesterday about waiving the yearly fee for my Amex Gold - they said that since spring 2011 they have a new policy to (automatically?) waive the fee for the main card if the yearly spending is over 15k€ but are not allowed to waive the fee for the companion card. After some more discussion she agreed to waive it as well "this one time". ^

This is a welcome change, no need to remember to call them every year
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:31 am

You got the companion card fee waived as well? Damn, I had about 25k of usage on the card(s) and still couldn't get the companion card fee waived.

I'll get about 30k this year so should get the main card fee waived easily, but if I won't get the companion card also, then I'll just forget AMEX. I got plenty of other cards to use...

btw. I didn't get the impression that the main card fee is automagically waived.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:51 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Slightly OT but:

AX plat travel insurance will be drastically changed on 20th Jan 2012. It used to be not bound to purchasing the tickets using the very physical card of the insured. After that date the travel must be paid at least 75% by the card for the insurance to be in effect. This leaves me practically (almost) uninsured during work related trips paid by my employer (and with significantly worse insurance conditions).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by TTL
Slightly OT but:

AX plat travel insurance will be drastically changed on 20th Jan 2012. It used to be not bound to purchasing the tickets using the very physical card of the insured. After that date the travel must be paid at least 75% by the card for the insurance to be in effect. This leaves me practically (almost) uninsured during work related trips paid by my employer (and with significantly worse insurance conditions).
Really makes the insurance much less attractive - I have to thin if I want to continue paying €550:- per year... Thanks TTL for informing us, haven't heard anything from Amex about this.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AYPlat, BASilver, SQG
Originally Posted by vulle
Really makes the insurance much less attractive - I have to thin if I want to continue paying €550:- per year... Thanks TTL for informing us, haven't heard anything from Amex about this.
Got a letter this week informing about the changes. Really drastic change and makes one wonder if the Plat is worth the money. Priority Pass cost 399, you can change rewards to airmiles, but I think the insurance has been the best part. Not any more. And they talk about 75% of travel expenses (flights, accomodation) has to be paid with AX, but what if there are no flights involved or hotel does not accept AX or you use airmiles, none of these are mentioned on the terms and conditions found on web....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.