Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Golden Gate Lounge and Gateway Lounge closed 31. March 2010 for renovation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Golden Gate Lounge and Gateway Lounge will be closed for renovation on 31.3.2010. Schengen-are lounges Silver Wings and Tower will stay open.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:02 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
Golden Gate Lounge and Gateway Lounge will be closed for renovation on 31.3.2010. Schengen-are lounges Silver Wings and Tower will stay open.
This means that during peak hours "the hospital" will be totally packed....also makes me wonder how the current lounge capacity can handle the 50% lower Silver qualification limit within the next year or so...it must be thousands more Silver cards printed by Feb/11 compared to current "run rate"..
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:25 pm

I wonder what will happen to the former SAS lounge which is adjacent to the Finnair lounge? Is it empty or is there any possibility that the AY lounge will get some extra space there?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/* Gold
Originally Posted by nordic
I wonder what will happen to the former SAS lounge which is adjacent to the Finnair lounge? Is it empty or is there any possibility that the AY lounge will get some extra space there?
OR, a separate Plat (/gold?) lounge! I know, I am too optimistic...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:49 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, EBS
As we lowly Silvers are no longer allowed to bring in guests in to the lounge, that should free up a little space at least. From what i understand Golden Gate is closing down permanently, not just for renovation. It will surely make the two other lounges unbearable during the afternoon.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by nordic
I thought there was a plan to expand the Silver Wings lounge into the this space? A while ago I talked with one of the lounge attendants and she confirmed this.

A few weeks ago on a peak afternoon time on Friday the SW lounge was standing room only and I got the last seat in Tower lounge. Felt like a ghetto, and with the generic wine on tap they are offering I guess I would have been better off at the wine bar with a glass of some better quality stuff.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by carmela
As we lowly Silvers are no longer allowed to bring in guests in to the lounge, that should free up a little space at least.
OK, I hadn't realised that at all...that's actually a major downgrade to Silver level, IMHO (Silver is J checkin + lounge anyway)...naturally lounges are always nice but it's especially nice when you can take your travel companion with you.

Anyway, Silver is so easy to get now that even those new benefits are enough, I guess..one will get silver with basically one J return with a European connection thrown in..
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:55 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, EBS
I don't personally mind the change, as i mostly travel alone anyway or with my husband, who has BA silver himself. I think the rule was changed because of the ''masses'' of new silvers that will be invading the lounges now, there just isn't room or money to cater for all guests as well..Finnair seems to let the family in with the cardholder as well, or so it seemed, especially during the ''skiing-holidays'' recently. I witnessed familys with up to 5 children enter the lounge with one card. That is a bit too much in my opinion, given the current space-issues..
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Kirtap
OR, a separate Plat (/gold?) lounge! I know, I am too optimistic...
Some time in the past the Golden Gate Lounge used to be reserved for golds and platinums. The service there was slightly better than in other lounges back then, but clearly by no significant margin.

I've used Golden Gate only occasionally.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Trav1970
Some time in the past the Golden Gate Lounge used to be reserved for golds and platinums. The service there was slightly better than in other lounges back then, but clearly by no significant margin.

I've used Golden Gate only occasionally.
+1

I always thought that lounge was (is) very strangely positioned...been there maybe 5 times since they opened it to the masses..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.