Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Hotel Vancouver vs. Fairmont Waterfront

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2004, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Have some nights coming up in Vancouver and am trying to decide between between these 2 properties. Rates will be more or less the same. I know that the Waterfront is a modern style hotel and the Vancouver is in the historic Chateau style. I also know the locations well.

As far as rooms go and the fitness facilities (important)are concerned, which one is better and why? Any other things that favour either property? Thanks for the assistance!

Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:21 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I've stayed at both and greatly prefer the Waterfront.

The rooms at the Waterfront dominate those at the Hotel Vancouver greatly, in my books. The Waterfront rooms mostly have great views, and the rooms are furnished better (being newer) and are in better shape.

The Vancouver has "quaint" furnishings which I'd say best suit the Queen of England. The rooms are perhaps a bit larger, but they mostly don't have views of anything (they look straight across into offices of neighboring buildings for the most part). I'd say the rooms are overdue for renovations, but someone with a taste for quaint furnishings might disagree with me.

I haven't closely inspected the fitness facilities at either location, though a phone call to both should clear up any specific questions you may have about those. I've taken a quick peek at the fitness area of the Hotel Vancouver, and roughly speaking their facilities seemed good.

I'll be at the Waterfront myself in June! Looking forward to it ...
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the comments Canuckflyer! I also read some of the reviews at tripadvisor.com and people seem VERY impressed with the Waterfront. Also staying at the Fairmont Airport for the last night of my trip - the reviews of that property are similarly amazing!
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
Thanks for the comments Canuckflyer! I also read some of the reviews at tripadvisor.com and people seem VERY impressed with the Waterfront. Also staying at the Fairmont Airport for the last night of my trip - the reviews of that property are similarly amazing!</font>
I've been spending three nigths a week at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport since the start of this year, and I can confirm the reviews are correct. I've never stayed at either of the downtown Fairmont's, so I can't comment on how they compare, but if you want to stay at a Fairmont in Vancouver and you don't absolutely need the downtown location, you'll love the airport hotel. Outstanding food (the Exotic Fruit Tower is out of this world), large rooms with very modern furnishings, great views (North i.e. airfield side with the mountains in the background or South to see sunrise and sunset) - what's not to like.

The fitness centre is pretty good. It overlooks the far East end of the International Departure Hall. There's approx 3-4 treadmills, a handfull of bikes, free weights, and a large nautilus machine. At rush hour you'll end up waiting for a treadmill or a bike, but any other time of day you can jump right in.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:22 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
I've stayed at the airport and the Hotel Vancouver, but not at the Waterfront. I agree that the airport hotel is great - probably the nicest airport hotel I've ever stayed in.

The Hotel Vancouver was also terrific. I love the old CP hotels though (and I'm not even in the same generation as the Queen.) We were upgraded to a suite on the concierge floor. The concierge staff was great, recommending good restaurants and making reservations on our behalf. I was in town for a conference and the hotel was very convenient for that but if I was just visiting I think I'd go for the Waterfront for the views and location.

You might phone reservations and find out where you'll get the best room if you're able to upgrade and if that matters to you.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think I have decided on the Waterfront for a few reasons. The rooms appear bigger, the views are bound to be better, the pool sounds great and it is near the water and an easy jog to Stanley Park without the hassle of dodging cars! There are some sketchy comments about the Hotel Vancouver on tripadvisor but this is not a major factor as there are similar comments about the Jasper Park Lodge and I am impressed again and again by that property

Alas I won't be upgrading this stay as I am not yet Premiere (I think that's the new Gold). This stay and the one at the airport will bring me within one though and a quick jaunt to Jasper will fix that! Then 5 more before the end of the year (2 already planned) and should be all set.

Platinum apparently comes with some free night certs - how are these used? Are there blackouts or inventory controls? Naturally I would be looking to get the best value and Hawaii in Christmas 2005 sounds lovely!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 2:14 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
I stayed 8 nights at the Waterfront last week. Agree with all above comments, plus the staff is A1. I was upgraded to a corner room. It's bigger and the view is great. I tried the 3rd night free cert with the premier pkg and it seems to work anytime with any rates. (The rate I used was federal Gvt emp which is only $100/night this month. Gvt IDs required)
have a good stay.
Eric

(corrected to indicate that the $100 rate is per night + adding the following info about fed gvt rates ...)

Tarifs 2004.......fevrier.mars..avril..mai
Simple/double:.$100...$100..$100..$199

[This message has been edited by YUL (edited Mar 08, 2004).]
Old Mar 7, 2004, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YUL:
(The rate I used was federal Gvt emp which is only $100 this month. Gvt IDs required)
have a good stay.
Eric
</font>
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:17 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:

Platinum apparently comes with some free night certs - how are these used? Are there blackouts or inventory controls? Naturally I would be looking to get the best value and Hawaii in Christmas 2005 sounds lovely!
</font>
Since this year's info isn't on the website yet, the following is cut-and-pasted from last year's T&Cs:

The Platinum Complimentary Night Bonus Certificate cannot be redeemed at the following Fairmont Hotels & Resorts during the dates outlined:

The Fairmont Glitter Bay and The Fairmont Royal Pavilion: December 15-April 15
The Fairmont Kea Lani Maui: January 23-26; February 14-22; March 14-April 30; July 1-August 25; November 22-30; December 22-January 4
The Fairmont Chateau Whistler: December 24; January 5; February 14-23.

Have any platinums received their package for this year yet?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:21 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tax Dude:
Have any platinums received their package for this year yet? </font>
I haven't yet received mine, though I must admit that hasn't stopped me from making reservations as though I had.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:00 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Still haven't received my package as well. I was told that my package was mailed on Feb 27/04. Not sure why they have taken so long to be sent. They told me that they take approximately 3-4 weeks to be received.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stinger:
Still haven't received my package as well. I was told that my package was mailed on Feb 27/04. Not sure why they have taken so long to be sent. They told me that they take approximately 3-4 weeks to be received.</font>
They are being mailed surface from an island off the coast of Africa?
Old Mar 15, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tax Dude:
Since this year's info isn't on the website yet, the following is cut-and-pasted from last year's T&Cs:

The Platinum Complimentary Night Bonus Certificate cannot be redeemed at the following Fairmont Hotels & Resorts during the dates outlined:

The Fairmont Glitter Bay and The Fairmont Royal Pavilion: December 15-April 15
The Fairmont Kea Lani Maui: January 23-26; February 14-22; March 14-April 30; July 1-August 25; November 22-30; December 22-January 4
The Fairmont Chateau Whistler: December 24; January 5; February 14-23.

Have any platinums received their package for this year yet?
</font>
Their are only a couple of properties blacked out this year. One in Hawaii and Acapulco I believe. I can confirm later. My plat package is at home.
Nowhere near the number of blackout periods as well. I think only during X-mas.

[This message has been edited by stinger (edited Mar 15, 2004).]
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'd love it if you could post the blackouts if you have time. I am almost surely going for Platinum but that info would be most helpful.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:16 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I have stayed at all 3 YVR Fairmonts often.

IMO

Waterfront - best all around
Rooms great - 1991 opened, great views in worst rooms (eg parlor), best rooms having city view. Rooms that end in xx24 (I think) are incredible, curved wall to wall windows including one in the bath area... (very nice at night with your hunny)
Food options - more expensive and limited
Fitness - included, nice size area and equipment
Pool - outdoors, smaller but great (except in Winter) hottub indoors
Service excellent and consistent!
BY FAR ONE OF MY FAVORITE HOTELS TO STAY AT PERIOD

Hotel Van - 3rd, but still great place
Rooms - Great decor, but older and some small rooms
Food - plentiful, and better options by far
Fitness - contracted out... so must ask if incleded or extra, but great facilities
Pool - indoors and larger, great ambiance
Hotel Vancouvers concierges deserve special mention - from experience and from watching them at work... (personally, not a service I use often, but outstanding)
Location - off Robson and 2 blocks from my favorite Thai restaurant

Airport hotel - An oasis for the traveller
Rooms - Best room design I've ever seen. Perfect place to hide away in ;-)
Food - Limited, but excellent Chef and food selection/range/prices (recent chef change, both are excellent)
Fitness - small, but good... Available for a fee to airport travellers who need shower too
Pool - lap pool small but effective (type with jets & swim against the flow
Downside is the check in area... I'm amazed they've stuck with it.
Plus is the in&out paring in economy lot @ $10 IIRC

Hope info is helpful.... ;-)

[This message has been edited by seanthepilot (edited Mar 15, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.