Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Fairmont | Fairmont Presidents Club
Reload this Page >

150 Canada - 3rd night free certificate (targetted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

150 Canada - 3rd night free certificate (targetted)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nock
That's what the FPC person told me. He said cert is only good for nonprepaid AND Fairmont level rooms. I have a prepaid signature room so they said no. He did say that upgrade certs would work though e.g. free night plus 3 nights in a Fairmont level room, plus suite upgrade would end up as a 4 night suite paying for only 2 nights.

FYI I booked directly on the Fairmont site.
Hm, not convinced about pre-paid rates not being eligible.

But it's a moot point. The agent was definitely correct that free night certs can only be used for the Fairmont room category (with a very few exceptions), so you indeed can't use your free night certs for your stay.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nock
That's what the FPC person told me. He said cert is only good for nonprepaid AND Fairmont level rooms. I have a prepaid signature room so they said no. He did say that upgrade certs would work though e.g. free night plus 3 nights in a Fairmont level room, plus suite upgrade would end up as a 4 night suite paying for only 2 nights.

FYI I booked directly on the Fairmont site.
HUCA?

If it was me, I would contact the hotel directly and say I'd like to change my reservation to 3 nights and upgrade to Fairmont level so I could apply the cert and see if they would cancel the prepaid rate for you. But then again, I don't give up easily.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:40 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
HUCA?

If it was me, I would contact the hotel directly and say I'd like to change my reservation to 3 nights and upgrade to Fairmont level so I could apply the cert and see if they would cancel the prepaid rate for you. But then again, I don't give up easily.
The problem is that he wouldn't be upgrading the room. The currently booked room is a Signature room. The only way to use the certificate would be to downgrade to a base room. Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice the quality of the stay by downgrading the room just to use a free night certificate.

If there are Fairmont rooms available for booking, and if there are upgrade rooms/suites available, I would perhaps call back and ask to downgrade to a Fairmont room, and then apply the 3rd night free and a room/suite upgrade to the booking.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Ah, my mistake. Didn't realize Signature room was superior. Guess I'm not that familiar with the Fairmont terminology.

I was lucky enough to upgrade my SIN reservation (with the free night) to a suite.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:33 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was lucky enough to upgrade my SIN reservation (with the free night) to a suite.
Same thing here as well at Fairmont Beijing, had already confirmed upgrade from Deluxe Room (no Fairmont rooms there) to Signature Suite on a 5 night stay later this week. I emailed FPC email desk and they applied the Canada 150 cert to the stay no problem. All this on a Fairmont Moments rate makes this a pretty good trip!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:03 am

Just received this as well. Also got the 3rd night free Holiday gift. I am only Club level, so not sure how they pick their "targets". My stays were either gold level or FHR bookings, so possibly that influenced it? Not sure I'll be able to use either one.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Then why do I just receive this email from FPC stipulating it can only be used for Canadian properties?

In honour of Canada 150, we invite you to watch this special video and join in the celebrations across this great country with a complimentary third night on a three-night stay e-certificate eligible to be used at any Fairmont hotel in Canada—our gift to you as we mark this momentous occasion.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just got an email announcing this gift:
"Dear Brendan,
As Canada marks its 150th birthday, we invite you to watch this special video and join in the celebrations with a complimentary third night on a three-night stay e-certificate, eligible to be used at any Fairmont destination in Canada—our gift to you to mark this wonderful moment in Canadian history."

So I hope that there are no nasty surprises in Singapore or elsewhere!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:15 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Yes, i just saw that in the email as well, I was happy with my rate and upgrded reservation before I received the certificate to be honest. Not sure how much I will push if they change their mind, we will have some stays at Canadian Fairmonts in the next couple of months anyways. Will keep the board posted.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

I got the email too; so perhaps you guys who got them to credit you for a 3rd night somewhere not in Canada lucked out. I have to wait to get my free night from the Visa Fairmont card until I can book...

Notice in the video that they call you by your first name and show a picture of the Fairmont Hotel you stayed in last.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Didn't get any email, and in my account don't see any extra certifications , anybody was able to call in to get the certificate?

Will have a 2 night stay at fairmont beijing in the coming week, I don't mind extending for a free 3rd night!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elephentravels
Didn't get any email, and in my account don't see any extra certifications , anybody was able to call in to get the certificate?

Will have a 2 night stay at fairmont beijing in the coming week, I don't mind extending for a free 3rd night!
We have no idea how they determined whom to send this offer to; have you stayed in any Fairmont this year? Seems to be a bit random. But I think it's only for US/Canada members. If you are in Mauritius, then probably not. But I'd give them a call anyway.

Last edited by lbotez; Jul 4, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
So ... it appears that FPC does not enforce this. I was just almost able to book the Singapore property with this cert but all the suites are booked on my desired dates.

Some OOO questions:
1) If I used a 3rd night free cert, will that night count towards status?
2) If I used a free night cert, will that night count towards status?
3) If I stay 3 nights at a property, can I combine my free night and the 3rd night free certs so I only end up paying for 1 night?

Thank you.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JCFans
So ... it appears that FPC does not enforce this. I was just almost able to book the Singapore property with this cert but all the suites are booked on my desired dates.

Some OOO questions:
3) If I stay 3 nights at a property, can I combine my free night and the 3rd night free certs so I only end up paying for 1 night?

Thank you.
1) Officially no, but YMMV.
2) Officially no, but YMMV.
3) No. You actually need to pay for two nights when using a 3rd night free cert. You could therefore book a four night stay and only pay for two nights.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JCFans

Some OOO questions:

Thank you.
really? Anyone else use a "non-Canadian" hotel for the free night after they released the email yesterday and succeed? Sorry for beating a dead horse, but I'm so used to following the rules that are in writing.

https://flic.kr/p/VQqW2h

Okay. I went to Barbados recently; used 2 free night certificates, one 3rd night free certificate and paid for 2 more all in the same reservation. Not sure how they determine which nights were free, but I'm guessing you can probably choose if one night is more expensive than the other. However, the free nights don't give you any status. To use the 3rd night free cert, you have to pay for two nights. The other free night certificate doesn't count towards the first 2 nights; you need to use the "3rd night free" certificate with two paid nights. Also, when you get back you only get credit for the nights you paid for.

Last edited by lbotez; Jul 4, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.