Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Vancouver Hotel vs. Waterfront

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CAD Amex Plat
Fairmont Vancouver Hotel vs. Waterfront

Hi all - Any thoughts on one vs. the other? I have to go to a conference in Vancouver (never been) for 10 days in March and am interested to hear your opinions.

Also, I 'm new to FPC but should be a FPC Plat next year (just got my 5th qualifying night in via the canadian Amex plat promotion) - any suggestions on getting a room upgrade? If I book say a fairmont king can I upgrade to junior suite using a room upgrade certificate? When does FPC recognize plat status for 2012 anyway? Thanks!

J
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The Waterfront has the Bay view whereas Hotel Vancouver is in city center and has the traditonal hotel overtones..

You could book through a website like www.perfectescapes.com or a Virtuoso TA that can offer a room upgrade if available.. or call ahead to the hotel/reservations and identify a source that is offering upgrades and see if they'll offer that up for you..
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by upgrade1$
Hi all - Any thoughts on one vs. the other? I have to go to a conference in Vancouver (never been) for 10 days in March and am interested to hear your opinions.
Vancouver is a fantastic city! The two Fairmont hotels you mentioned are just 10-15min apart on foot, the Waterfront is a newish hotel near Coal harobur while the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is the traditional "grand dame" Fairmont hotel, both are pretty nice, but people obviously have different tastes. There´s also the Fairmont Pacific Rim, my personal favourite overlooking Coal Harbour.

Originally Posted by upgrade1$
Also, I 'm new to FPC but should be a FPC Plat next year (just got my 5th qualifying night in via the canadian Amex plat promotion) - any suggestions on getting a room upgrade? If I book say a fairmont king can I upgrade to junior suite using a room upgrade certificate? When does FPC recognize plat status for 2012 anyway? Thanks!

J
If you´ve already done the 5nights you could call FPC and nicely ask whether they´re willing to bump you up to Plat status immediately, otherwise your status will be valid from March 1, 2012 - Feb. 28, 2013.

Regarding upgrades you pretty much have three options:

1) book through AMEX FHR / Virtuoso / another TA that offers additional perks at some Fairmont hotels like comp. breakfast, comp. one-category upgrade (cofirmed or based on availability at check-in). If you don´t have a corporate rate this is a good option for the benefits, but don´t expect much in terms of upgrade IMO
2) use your room upgrade certs (you´ll need 2 as one is valid for up to five nights): you´ll get a confirmed upgrade to the next room category, e.g. Fairmont -> Fairmont View; Fairmont room -> Deluxe room etc.
3) use your suite upgrade certs (again you´ll need to use both) and you´ll get a confirmed upgrade from a Fairmont room to either a Junior Suite or a One-bedroom suite (eligible suites vary by hotel)

You may get a minor upgrade as a Plat when not doing any of the above, but comp. upgrades are not part of the FPC benefits.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Of these two I'd go with Waterfront all the time as I like the proximity to the water and Gastown and the more modern atmosphere. The views over Coal Harbor are also quite memorable.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Is the new Fairmont Pacific Rim commanding a noticible price premium over Waterfront and Hotel Vanvouver?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CAD Amex Plat
Thanks all for the info. Yes, Pacific Rim is quite a bit more expensive; Waterfront and Hotel Vancouver are pretty close. I will have completed the 5 nights for plat promotion by the end if this week so I may try and call on the off chance they give me plat status early. Will let you know if it works! Cheers,

J
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Some might think it a silly suggestion, but since you are there for 10 nights (a long time at a hotel IMO), what about considering 5 at one and 5 at the other. Then you get to sample both and can determine your own preference first hand.

Personally I think the 1 night stay hotel hopping that some on FT do for stay credits is borderline insanity...but switching after 5 nights could be explained as totally normal!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
PS. I have stayed at both and they both have their merits. And you would get to sample two areas of the city.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tangoer
Is the new Fairmont Pacific Rim commanding a noticible price premium over Waterfront and Hotel Vanvouver?
Yes.. Pacific Rim is noticeably higher on their rates.. the hotel is newer as well..
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:22 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Yes.. Pacific Rim is noticeably higher on their rates.. the hotel is newer as well..
FAF is running about 150 for the downtown properties. PacRim is about 50 higher. Obviously this is seasonal and capacity controlled.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
FAF is running about 150 for the downtown properties. PacRim is about 50 higher. Obviously this is seasonal and capacity controlled.
That would be an excellent FAF rate for Pac Rim.. I've seen FAF higher for the property..

You living on the coast, I imagine hands down if given the opportunity you would stay at the Pac Rim..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.