Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @ Delta Hotels by Marriott - October 13-15, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @ Delta Hotels by Marriott - October 13-15, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
ZorkFest, too.

And a lunar eclipse October 14.
Personally, I think it is great. The more the merrier!

David
TProphet likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 12:38 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
I take this as your notification that you will not be speaking and have removed you and Katie from the event.
Stefan: I responded immediately to your email this past weekend (before you published speaker lists here, on WhatsApp, on Eventbrite) declining to speak. Don't pretend that you didn't know.
Adam1222 and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I now realize I am not as in touch with the goings on of Flyertalk as I once was………and right now, I am ok with that.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This thread is hilarious. It sounds like 13 is not their lucky number.

Perhaps we need links to the three respective FlyerTalk hotel property threads.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I now realize I am not as in touch with the goings on of Flyertalk as I once was………and right now, I am ok with that.
I am quite envious of your ignorance.

I volunteered last year to help save the event after Stefan went missing for months. I personally convinced the hotel management not to cancel the event -- after management had already told several participants that they had canceled it. I was thrilled to be able to give back to a community that helped me get my start in points and miles. And I was looking forward to helping again this year.

Unfortunately, egos have made this year a nightmare.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:57 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
I am quite envious of your ignorance.

I volunteered last year to help save the event after Stefan went missing for months. I personally convinced the hotel management not to cancel the event -- after management had already told several participants that they had canceled it. I was thrilled to be able to give back to a community that helped me get my start in points and miles. And I was looking forward to helping again this year.

Unfortunately, egos have made this year a nightmare.
At this point, EVERYONE has to find happiness in supporting the event that brings them joy. FlyerJT, you need to stop trying to convince people there is NO blame on your side or your team's side. Stefan graciously apologized and took full accountability for what he did (about a month ago). Stefan was wrong, and he apologized and wanted to move forward. I will remind you that your "team leader" decided to sideline negotiations instead of negotiating in good faith. That made me very sad. Both sides are wrong. If you want to say one side is "more wrong" than the other side, you can - but it's not helpful. It's also not helpful just trying to paint Stefan as this evil person. I've been very very (very) clear to Stefan that what he did was wrong. That he needed to be accountable for it. This was not handled professionally, and there was no necessity for "the new team" to have approached it the way they did. Sure perhaps, if it was July and Stefan was MIA. I know, I know. The venue, the hard feelings from last year.

Can we finally MOVE ON? There are two events. It is not optimal. People should support the event they are comfortable with. Organizers should focus on their events, not on harming the other event. Focus on the positive. If you were right and your team is right, why worry? Just move forward.

For sure, trying to hold a "trial" in threads is all very cute and FlyerTalk-like; and for sure entertaining, but will not result in any positive gain.

I sincerely hope that BOTH EVENTS are successful and that all organizers can get together for a drink when this is over and figure out the best path forward for the Future and CS 14 in 2024.

Ok, *rant over* -- love and hugs to everyone! 🤗
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:58 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Why is this drivel even allowed to be posted? Embarrasing for everyone involved (even those unwillingly dragged into this fustercluck)
dr88, seacarl and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
For the organizers, maybe next to the speakers listed, write CONFIRMED. I'm sure the list is evolving but that way folks will know for sure.
Ellice and k2o like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by mcgahat
FlyerTalk is an IBB. Two competing events where apparently people pay a lot of money to listen to speakers who are in the business of making money by pimping credit cards are not FlyerTalk.

Hence this being in a forum being for external resources.

If you want to get the most out of FlyerTalk, consider showing up at a DO or two (see CommunityBuzz forum) and interacting with wonderful people from a diverse range of backgrounds with a diverse range of expertise who don't just want to hawk credit cards for profit.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:55 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
The community will be better off if the two events get merged. Perhaps we should all refrain from registering for either event in the hope of sending that message.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by seacarl
The community will be better off if the two events get merged. Perhaps we should all refrain from registering for either event in the hope of sending that message.
My two cents: It's probably too late for that. Both sides have signed contracts with their respective venue. Doubt either side can just easily wiggle out of their commitment to the host property. So two smaller, less-crowded events this year and perhaps one unified large event in 2024.
FlyerJT likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Herb687
If you want to get the most out of FlyerTalk, consider showing up at a DO or two (see CommunityBuzz forum) and interacting with wonderful people from a diverse range of backgrounds with a diverse range of expertise who don't just want to hawk credit cards for profit.
In fact you can gather most of the information (sold at these events) for free by interacting with FTers at a Do. Buying some of them a beverage of their choice may accelerate the knowledge transfer. More on that here: Events are only organized to make money of the innocent [split off from CHI Seminars]
belfordrocks and miffSC like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
In fact you can gather most of the information (sold at these events) for free by interacting with FTers at a Do. Buying some of them a beverage of their choice may accelerate the knowledge transfer. More on that here: Events are only organized to make money of the innocent [split off from CHI Seminars]
I certainly agree that you can get this knowledge for free (or the cost of a drink) from speaking with others in the community -- if you feel comfortable doing so! When I was starting out on my points and miles journey, I didn't even know the questions to ask. That's why I found sitting in seminars at Chicago Seminars very helpful. The first year, a lot of it went over my head. And other strategies seemed a little too much in the grey area for me to use personally. But it was a starting place.

I know that some events are profit-generators. However, Chicago Seminars (at Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village) is now registered as a nonprofit, and the organizers are unpaid. All funds collected go toward food/drink at the venue and reimbursing speakers for travel costs. The remainder is required to be donated to other charities. This year, we've chosen Miles4Migrants and Airline Ambassadors International.
SightseeMC likes this.

Last edited by FlyerJT; Jul 16, 2023 at 5:41 pm
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by FlyerJT
All funds collected go toward food/drink at the venue and reimbursing speakers for travel costs.
[emphasis added]
Aren't these speakers mostly people whose business is promoting credit cards for profit?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
Aren't these speakers mostly people whose business is promoting credit cards for profit?
Yep! But, to their credit, they volunteer their time to come teach newbies and experienced hackers alike. Most speakers aren't even made whole by the travel reimbursements. Sure, the speakers benefit by trying to grow their audience, but the sessions aren't a credit card sales pitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.