Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @ Delta Hotels by Marriott - October 13-15, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @ Delta Hotels by Marriott - October 13-15, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Welcome to Chicago Seminars 2023.

When: October 13-15, 2023. Registration opens Friday at 4 pm, with sessions kicking off at 5:30 pm. Early starts and full days Saturday and Sunday. Saturday evening includes a happy hour at the host hotel.

Early Arrivals: 2nd Chicago Seminars Variety Show (hybrid online and virtual - subject to separate ticketing):
  • Morning session 11:00 - 1:45
  • Afternoon session 2:00 - 4:45
Where: Delta Hotels by Marriott Chicago Willowbrook, 7800 Kingery Highway, Willowbrook, IL, 60527

Ticketing:
  1. Purchase ticket at EventBrite.
  2. For those purchasing tickets after 9/23/23, EventBrite now has meal preference and name badge registration questions as part of the post-purchase confirmation screen; you can return to your ticket at any time to submit or fill out the manual form. If you purchased a ticket prior to that and haven't yet filled out the online form (https://forms.gle/rfJw89W458yoAzSy8 ), please do so by 10/9/23.
  3. Host room room block - the booking block is officially closed though the venue GM has added some additional rooms through booking links that tend to break as soon as I send them (even worse the prior year Holiday Inn issues!). Please email [email protected] if you are looking to book and we will seek to sort it out. Bookings include breakfast for 1 guest. If you have a breakfast benefit from Marriott Bonvoy status that will apply as far as breakfast for member + 1 guest.
What's Included?
  • Access to conference sessions
  • Coffee / snack breaks
  • Lunch Saturday and Sunday
  • Happy hour Saturday night
What's Not Included?
  • Transport to/from airport to hotel. The host hotel does not have an airport shuttle. We are working on ideas with the venue and sponsors to assist with transport, however you should expect some transport cost. The venue is a little closer to Chicago MIdway than Chicago O'Hare.
  • Breakfasts - these are only included for those booking the group rate at the host hotel
  • Dinners - a way to make friends is go out with a group and hand someone cash to let them have the credit card swipe
Questions? Please send general inquiries to [email protected]

First-time? See ​​​​SkiAdcock's thoughts & tips for those attending the Chicago Seminars event for the first time.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 3, 2023 at 12:13 am
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:10 am
Original Poster

READ and ACCEPT - Participation Requirements

This is a community event that has thrived for a decade, grown from goodwill and care for each other. The participation requirements are intended to provide an event that best accommodates the widest range of our community.

By purchasing a ticket, you agree to follow the event Participation Requirements, which will adapt up to and including the event:
  • Good conduct policy - You will conduct yourself at the event in a spirit of civility in line with the conduct required by the organizers and on-site volunteers.
  • No refunds and no chargeback policy - this is a charity event and has operated since inception on a no refunds policy. If you purchase a ticket and your plans change, there will be no refund. If, at the event, you violate the participation requirements, you will be required to immediately depart the event, and there will be no refund. In all cases, you will not make a credit card chargeback for your event ticket. Should you file a chargeback you will be banned from attending future Chicago Seminars events. Be happy that the event charities will benefit from your graciousness, even if you find yourself in that position from lack of graciousness. Ticket transfers will be allowed up to October 6, 2023, email the organizers with the ticket transfer request details at: [email protected].
  • No recording of sessions - the no recording policy allows open discussions and respects the hard work of speakers. Anyone found to be recording (video, audio, or otherwise, that includes photos of every slide, etc) will be removed from the event with no refund. Exceptions only if a speaker gives explicitly up-front permission for some form of recording.
We have a decade of successful events that have built friendships and raised tens of thousands of dollars for worthy charities. We thank you for your understanding. This will be another great event for our community.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Jul 4, 2023 at 1:16 am Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Hotel Booking Information

Update 10/2/23: the booking block is officially closed though the venue GM has added some additional rooms. Please email [email protected] if you are looking to book and we will sort it out.

The rate is $129/night. Bookings include breakfast for 1 guest. If you have a breakfast benefit from Marriott Bonvoy status, that will apply as far as breakfast for member + 1 guest.

Delta Hotels by Marriott Chicago Willowbrook, 7800 Kingery Highway, Willowbrook, IL, 60527

Staying at the host hotel is recommended.

Notice: the host hotel does not have an airport shuttle. We are working on ideas with the venue and sponsors to assist with transport, however you should expect some transport cost. The venue is a little closer to Chicago Midway than Chicago O'Hare.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 3, 2023 at 12:03 am Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Speakers

Friday Variety Show Speakers (hybrid some online and some in-person):
  • Chris Carley of Eye of the Flyer
  • Greg Davis-Kean of Frequent Miler
  • Tommy Danielsen of Loyalty Summit
  • René de Lambert of Frequent Floaters
  • Andrew D'Amours of FlyTrippers
  • Tiffany Funk of One Mile at a Time and point.me
  • Ric Gazarian of Extraordinary Travel Festival
  • Tonei Glavinic
  • Anmol Gupta, Maple Miles
  • Julian Kheel of Points Path
  • Stefan Krasowski of Rapid Travel Chai
  • Dave & Lisa Kulpa of Basic Travel Couple
  • Jamie Larounis of Frequent Traveler University
  • Stephen Pepper of GC Galore
  • Dan Ports of CardCenter
  • Logan Robinson of Aligned Incentives
  • Michael Trager of TravelZork and ZorkFest
  • Jerry Udell, jigger
  • Rachel Yuan of Prince of Travel
  • Orest Zub of NomadMania, calling in from Ukraine
  • ...plus some extra pop-ins as they arrive for the weekend
Conference Speakers (in-person):
  • Michael C
  • Chris Carley of Eye of the Flyer
  • Andrew D'Amours of Flytrippers
  • René de Lambert of Frequent Floaters
  • Amy M. Gardner of Red Dot Blue Dot
  • Rob Gerl
  • Shabbir Hakim
  • Andy Hicks, everycountryby50
  • Dave Homyak, bikeguy
  • Stefan Krasowski of Rapid Travel Chai
  • Drew Macomber of Travel is Free
  • Dave Muz and Lisa Kulpa of Basic Travel Couple
  • Sarah Ramkissoon
  • Logan Robinson, Ravi Davuluri, and Erik Peterson of Aligned Incentives
  • Dawn Royski of Share Traveler
  • Lela Shifton
  • Tom Stucker
  • Grant Thomas of Travel with Grant
  • Robert 'Tprophet' Walker of Seat 31B and AwardCat
  • David Wyler and Dan Ports of CardCenter
In the interest of transparency: this is the message I have sent to speakers and potential speakers on 7/4/23: Hello, speakers, I regret the situation that this matter has put you all in. Having to publicly face questions from attendees about the confusion, etc is something you all did not invite. There are two events. I continue to organize Chicago Seminars along with the volunteers that have been involved for a decade. The event has moved to Delta Hotels Willowbrook as part of the process. Those who are previously confirmed speakers I have been in touch with you over the past week to reconfirm and issue your tickets and accommodation. I have not and will not ask any speaker to 'take sides' or to be involved in any public disputes. If you have questions about the event or interest in speaking, you are welcome to contact me. As I said in my May 23, 2023 announcement that while two events the same weekend is not ideal for attendees, and this new group could have used their enthusiasm to create a new event of a time, name, place of their own, both events will give attendees different flavors and more for the overall charity purpose.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 12, 2023 at 11:25 pm Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Event Schedule

See the 2022 schedule for a sense of what to expect. Sessions start the Friday evening and go to Sunday afternoon.

Event Schedule Outline:

Friday, October 13th

Early Arrivals: 2nd Chicago Seminars Variety Show (hybrid online and virtual - subject to separate ticketing):
  • Morning session 11:00 - 1:45
  • Afternoon session 2:00 - 4:45
13th Chicago Seminars

4:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Registration Desk Open

5:30 pm - 8:30 pm: Welcome to Chicago Seminars & Conference Sessions

Saturday, October 14th

8:00 am - 12:00 pm: Registration Desk Open

8:30 am - 6:00 pm: Conference Sessions

7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Happy Hour

Sunday, October 15th

8:00 am - 4:00 pm: Conference Sessions

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 2, 2023 at 11:58 pm Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Sponsorship Opportunities

Please contact [email protected] with expressions of interest.

Sponsorships start at $1,200 and include:
  • 8' Table near the registration desk
  • 15-minute speaking slot
  • 1 Ticket to event
  • 1 email message to attendees such as to provide a trial or discount offer (all emails sent by Chicago Seminars admin account; attendee email list is not shared with sponsors)
  • Custom packages available
Additional sponsorship opportunities:
  • Contribute raffle prizes
  • Submit your own idea

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Jul 4, 2023 at 1:22 am Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Charity Raffle & Donations

2023 Charity Update Announcement:
Rather than split among multiple prior or new event charities, this year we are making the entire donation event charitable donation to RIP Medical Debt (https://ripmedicaldebt.org/).

Listen to this New Yorker podcast on the approach to leverage donations to buy out bulk medical debt for pennies on the dollar, a fitting way for us who benefit so much from the US financial system to help people harmed by it and the healthcare system. Their approach fits the value maximization ethos of the points travel mindset. (https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/po...m-medical-debt).

Challenge Donation:
I am covering the credit card processing fees of the first $50,000 in event donations.

Charity Raffle Items:
If you'd like to donate anything to the charity raffle, please contact [email protected]

We are not doing physical items. Passing around amenity kits no one wants is not a good use of time. We will accept items such as relevant services or virtual gifts.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 12, 2023 at 4:53 pm Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Volunteer Opportunities

Specific volunteer needs will be posted here.

We welcome back our veteran volunteers (more to be confirmed):

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Jul 5, 2023 at 6:15 pm Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Terms and Conditions

GENERAL WAIVER, RELEASE & CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT (THE “AGREEMENT”)

GENERAL WAIVER OF LIABILITY & RELEASE PROVISIONS – I have/will receive(d) certain materials, program information, advice, information and/or services from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I hereby agree to waive any and all current and/or future claims and causes of actions against the Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023 and/or any individual or corporate sponsor (inclusive of any and all officers, directors, employees, agents, and successor and/or predecessor corporations if any) thereof, and/or any speaker or invited guest (together, the “Released Parties”), for any and all physical or pecuniary injuries, incidents, losses, or other occurrences that may befall me during my attendance at the 2023 Chicago Seminars.

I further agree to waive any and all current or future claims and causes of action for economic harm or otherwise, as against the Released Parties, that may arise as a result of my reliance on any program information, procedures, advice, information or services that I may receive from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023.

I further agree to hold harmless and to fully indemnify the Released Parties against any claims or causes of action, including claims for contribution, instituted by any third party or otherwise that may arise from my attendance at the 2023 Chicago Seminars.

I further agree to waive any and all future claims and/or causes of action that may arise from my use of the information, advice or services provided by the Released Parties, and to indemnify and save harmless the Released Parties from any and all claims and causes of actions of third parties, including claims for contribution, arising from my reliance on any program, information, procedures, advice, information or services that I may receive from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023 at the 2023 Chicago Seminars.

If for any reason, I commence a claim or take any proceeding against any party, which thereafter makes any claim over against or claim contribution and indemnity from the Released Parties, I undertake and covenant to have them dismissed at my own expense with express prejudice to bringing any further claim or other proceeding as against the Released Parties.

I further understand and agree that no warranty of any kind shall be created by the advice or information I receive from any of the Released Parties from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023 during the 2023 Chicago Seminars DO, and further agree that I alone am responsible for assessing the utility, accuracy and truthfulness of any advice or information received during the 2023 Chicago Seminars.

I further understand and agree that I may incidentally appear in video and/or photographs taken during the 2023 Chicago Seminars, and that I will not receive compensation of any kind as a result thereof, whether used by the Released Parties for marketing purposes or otherwise.

CONFIDENTIALITY – I further understand and agree that the materials and information provided to me are the property of from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023 and/or the Released Parties, and will not be used by me, other than for my personal use, without the express written consent of from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023, and that I will take all reasonable steps to keep the materials and information obtained confidential, expressly undertake and covenant to make no copies of the materials and/or to disclose the materials and/or advice, whether for financial gain or otherwise. I fully understand that I may be personally liable to from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2023 and/or the Released Parties for any unauthorized use of the materials, advice and/or information received at the 2023 Chicago Seminars.

Furthermore, I expressly agree, undertake, and covenant not to record by video, audio, or any other means the material discussed by speakers at the 2023 Chicago Seminars.

GENERAL PROVISIONS – This Agreement shall be binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of the Released Parties, their successors, assigns, and personal representatives.

I expressly agree that this Agreement shall be construed as if written by both myself and the Released Parties, and shall not be construed as against the Released Parties, whether pursuant to the principles of contra proferentem, or otherwise.

I expressly agree that this Agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Illinois and that this Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois. I expressly agree that in the event that any clause or provision of this Agreement is deemed invalid, the enforceability of the remaining provisions of this Agreement shall not be affected.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY – I further expressly agree that should an Arbitrator or Court determine that any provision(s) in this Agreement is void, voidable, or unenforceable, and that any of the Released Parties are liable to me for any alleged losses, whether suffered by me, or a third party, that such liability will be limited to the sum of the fee paid by me for my attendance at 2023 Chicago Seminars.

I certify that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age or older, and am mentally competent to execute and enter into this Agreement

I expressly understand that by executing this Agreement that I am affecting my current and future legal rights, and state that I have agreed to execute this Agreement without any duress or coercion.

By selecting "I agree to the above waiver" I expressly acknowledge that I have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, including, but not limited to, the General Waiver of Liability and Release provisions, the Confidentiality Clause and the Limitation of Liability Clause, and that I enter into this Agreement willingly and voluntarily.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Jul 4, 2023 at 1:24 am Reason: Updated
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Placeholder for Additional Announcements

Placeholder
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Placeholder for 14th Chicago Seminars, October 2024 Announcement

14th Chicago Seminars at Holiday Inn Heritage Edition 2024 has launched. October 25-27, 2024. Holiday Inn Chicago Elk Grove. $165, no price increase from 2023. Includes online 3rd Chicago Seminars Variety Show the morning of October 25, 2024. Variety Show-only tickets are available for $14. Ticketing here. FT thread.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Apr 3, 2024 at 3:39 pm
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:04 am

Yelp Reviews of This Hotel

Has anyone yet read the Yelp reviews of the Delta Hotel/ Willowbrook? Let's just say I raised one eyebrow and leave it at that. Peace.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:40 am

Question

Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
More speakers to be announced:
Is the attendee list accurate? These are the organizers of the other event, so I am surprised that they are speakers here.
AwardTravelers likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 7:11 am

Hotel cancellation policy

What’s the cancellation policy for the hotel? I used the supplied link for the group rate and made it to the check out screen but did not see any reference to its cancellation policy.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
This speaker list is insanely misleading. I'm shocked Flyertalk is allowing this thread to continue. It's bordering on flat out fraud at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.