Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @The Holiday Inn - October 13-15, 2023: The Original

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 13th Annual Chicago Seminars @The Holiday Inn - October 13-15, 2023: The Original

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Adam1222
But hey, at least folks get to pat themselves on the back with self-congratulations as to their altruism while making their livelihoods/careers/whatever you want to call it off of selling the image of free travel with miles and points to others.

When Marriott sponsors or participates in a Pride event, for example, we aren't fools enough to think they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart. When the owner of a company that sells online courses about miles and points "proudly partners" with an event, we shouldn't think so either. I'm not sure how you define the "community" you are working to help here, but that an event is "non profit" does not mean that the sponsors acts are not based on financial self-interest. (It's also funny to claim you are working for "the community" when your business has a class action waiver.) As has been repeatedly said, this doesn't make it bad! It is the pretending that this isn't a business/financially motivated enterprise that makes it bad.
I was talking about the two upcoming events in Chicago who both appear to be non-profit community events, not my businesses. I responded only because my business was brought up and I received a bunch of texts and messages about it.

There are about 15 threads beating this subject to death for those interested, you've dug up a couple of them already.

Personally, I'd rather have a tarantula lay eggs in my ears before I start engaging in the External Miles and Points area of FT, so I'm going to end my guest appearance with this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tommy777
I was talking about the two upcoming events in Chicago who both appear to be non-profit community events, not my businesses. I responded only because my business was brought up and I received a bunch of texts and messages about it.

There are about 15 threads beating this subject to death for those interested, you've dug up a couple of them already.

Personally, I'd rather have a tarantula lay eggs in my ears before I start engaging in the External Miles and Points area of FT, so I'm going to end my guest appearance with this.
Since you came and posted in this thread and "engaged", I hope the tarantula egg removal goes well. I'd pay $60 for access to *that* video tutorial.

On the merits "non-profit community events" is a meaningless term, and I explained why. I see you have perfected the Randy Petersen method of coming onto the forum, lobbing insults at people, then leaving when called out for it and challenged on the merits, and suggesting you're above everyone else. As a businessman, though, I'd hope you'd know that coming into a forum to "defend" your business in such a way doesnt actually protect your business's reputation.

Good luck with the eggs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'd pay $60 for access to *that* video tutorial.
*$69

Not seeing I've insulted anyone in here, including you. Enjoy your weekend
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:26 pm

*$69

Not seeing I've insulted anyone in here, including you. Enjoy your weekend
On the off chance you are serious, statements like
At least Oliver and the FT peanut gallery gets to amuse themselves.

seem to clearly diminish other people in "the community" and their views and participation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
But hey, at least ... the FT peanut gallery gets to amuse themselves.
As a member of the FT peanut gallery, I'm thoroughly enjoying the free entertainment.

Free entertainment being two things the Real Chicago Seminars and Original Chicago Seminars can't provide!
SPN Lifer and frmnj like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:33 pm

I, for one and am enjoying the train wreck. Big [redacted] to the organizers and their [redacted] requirements for prior events. Hope your event (both of them) burn!

Last edited by oliver2002; Jul 8, 2023 at 1:49 am Reason: FT Rule 12.1
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post # 44)
I wish both of these events all the best of luck. I do find it sad, unfortunate that the parties couldn't agree and that there are two events, especially as this is all non profit events for the community.

But hey, at least Oliver and the FT peanut gallery gets to amuse themselves.
Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post # 46)
I'm going to end my guest appearance with this.
Originally Posted by Herb687 (Post # 50)
As a member of the FT peanut gallery, I'm thoroughly enjoying the free entertainment.
Extraordinarily amusing indeed!
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue, United
Lots of cynical posts here but I guess that’s to be somewhat expected on this FT forum. I’m disappointed that this situation is happening & I hope either the 2 events get merged or people that have already registered for the event from a few months back will be able to decide which event to attend with some knowledge of fully confirmed speakers.

I’ve attended this event for a little while now & was really looking forward to the general spirit of this event & seeing everyone back at Shelby Campbell’s. And for all the naysayers commenting here, I think some of you don’t realize how much time, effort, & other resources these events require. It’s easy to judge & criticize from the sidelines if you are not actually part of the planning, preparation, & execution of these voluntary events.
FlyerJT likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2023, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Miika747
Lots of cynical posts here but I guess that’s to be somewhat expected on this FT forum. I’m disappointed that this situation is happening & I hope either the 2 events get merged or people that have already registered for the event from a few months back will be able to decide which event to attend with some knowledge of fully confirmed speakers.

I’ve attended this event for a little while now & was really looking forward to the general spirit of this event & seeing everyone back at Shelby Campbell’s. And for all the naysayers commenting here, I think some of you don’t realize how much time, effort, & other resources these events require. It’s easy to judge & criticize from the sidelines if you are not actually part of the planning, preparation, & execution of these voluntary events.
I don't think anyone has suggested that these events do not require time, effort, or resources. That appears to be a strawman.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
A couple more speakers have been added as well as the logo. More good stuff to come. Updates here and on www.chicagoseminars.org
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by SkiPremier
Does anyone from downtown Chicago attend this? If so do you typically trainsuber to and from or stay there? Debating stopping in and meeting some folks.
I apologize if your message got burried. We have a ton of Chicago locals who attend every year and hope you can attend and make some new connections. I actually did a year of university in Chicago and love the city… fighting words trigger warning… my birthplace of NYC has better pizza.
katstarr likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 6:43 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
A couple more speakers have been added as well as the logo. More good stuff to come. Updates here and on www.chicagoseminars.org
You left off Mark O. of ToP, and he announced it on the MtM Podcast this week (unless I'm senile, which is possible). See, I can be helpful. 😘
Old Jul 16, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
Deleted with clarification below

Last edited by ChrisMoss7; Jul 16, 2023 at 6:45 pm Reason: Deleted with clarification below
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
No Mark O

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
You left off Mark O. of ToP, and he announced it on the MtM Podcast this week (unless I'm senile, which is possible). See, I can be helpful. 😘

Your effort is appreciated. And you are definitely not senile. Mark O. is not scheduled to speak at this event. The Miles to Memories podcast was with Shawn Coomer and Joe Cheung. Only Shawn is scheduled to speak.
SPN Lifer and Mrp Alert like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Side note: pretty much every post in this thread is from a member of FlyerTalk > 10 years. The newbies have found the Facebook Group or chicagoseminars.org - there is still an audience here at the origin, but they are definitely maturing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.