Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eye of the Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There seems to be no link.
OP been here since 2000 and still can't hot link.....

Here you go

Jest of it, Executives didn't say crap out the over crowding, but did say they are trying to grow the amount of people that have Delta branded AMEXs that are also SkyMiles members.

From that, blogger mental gymnastics into no more AMEX plats in SkyClubs (not happening) or stupid ideas like you can have an AMEX plat but need to spend 50K a year type of stuff, also not happening.

So basically its a big nothing burger with a LARGE jump of off Delta trying to get SkyMiles members to to get co-branded AMEX cards and an even larger jump that a large portion of those people will go reserve and ignoring that a lot of people who are SkyMiles members who don't have a card (that would jump to reserve) don't already have SkyClub access.

I would bet a lot of the Skymiles members that do not have a Delta branded card either A) are going to be low tiers that would go Gold MAYBE Delta Plat, neither of which are likely to drive a ton of people into SkyClubs B) are either Diamonds/360 that get SkyClub access or at Skymiles members that have the plat card.
But one of the big benefits of the plat card for US members is the SkyClub membership, absolutely no way AMEX is giving that up, IMO.

Last edited by Dawgfan6291; Jul 15, 2022 at 2:39 am
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
This seems like pure speculation, but if Delta club access is restricted to Amex Plat cardholders with the exorbitant fees that we're paying for it, I see no reason to keep the card.

We've already seen ridiculous devaluations from Amex (Priority Pass restaurants at airports) that has contributed to more crowded Centurion and Plat lounges. I'd choose a restaurant over a lounge in most instances if I was still able to.
as will a lot of the US plat base. Thats why it isn't going away. I honestly see AMEX pulling a "lol, No." on that one.

more importantly, you'd probably see the vast majority of plat holders (that are Delta SkyMiles members, aka the people using the SkyClubs) just switch over the reserve at that point which does absolutely nothing to fix the issue.

The only ones I can see Delta pulling access from either Delta plats or reserve/AMEX plat guests. Short of that, the only answer they have is to increase club space.
ebayj, mersk862 and demkr like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
This article is dumb and unfortunately the author is creating clickbait with his admitted speculation.

Amex pays DL for the club admissions. It’s all negotiated as part of their overall master agreement. DL can’t just unilaterally exclude classes to deny entry. Additionally, Delta gets $X for every entry, the amount varying by class of member. You’d be out of your mind to think Amex is paying DL full price for the membership that goes along with the reserve card. DL and Amex don’t particularly care about the lines; they’d be building out more lounge space if they really thought it was a problem. Until people drop their credit cards and memberships, DL and Amex win. No additional cap-ex and additional annual fees.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
This article is dumb and unfortunately the author is creating clickbait with his admitted speculation.

Amex pays DL for the club admissions. It’s all negotiated as part of their overall master agreement. DL can’t just unilaterally exclude classes to deny entry. Additionally, Delta gets $X for every entry, the amount varying by class of member. You’d be out of your mind to think Amex is paying DL full price for the membership that goes along with the reserve card. DL and Amex don’t particularly care about the lines; they’d be building out more lounge space if they really thought it was a problem. Until people drop their credit cards and memberships, DL and Amex win. No additional cap-ex and additional annual fees.
Exactly. This "article" is total, uninformed clickbait.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
While the June 2022 Skyclub access change isn’t further helped with current delta operational problem, I do believe more change is looming. I think the recent change did little to the crowding situation with further action necessary.

As for the American Express side of things, benefit guide of June 2022 access change also include the statement,
“Benefit and rules subject to change without notice”, with “Additional restrictions may apply.”

It is my belief that Amex and Delta is still coordinating their efforts to find the right solution to remedy this problem. it wouldn’t surprise me, visitation frequencies and/or booking class might indeed factor in to future language of access.

Jiburi
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
File under "speculates".
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Typical click bait for this "blog" Used to be called 'Delta Points' and has a long history of these types of 'articles' in an attempt to shill more credit card signups for those fat referral commissions.

Waste of time, don't bother subscribing.
emma dog, demkr, Duke787 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
OP been here since 2000 and still can't hot link.....

Here you go
Sorry, Dawg... OP here. Posted on a tablet, tried it twice.
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Sorry, Dawg... OP here. Posted on a tablet, tried it twice.
Just giving you a hard time.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:18 am

Agreed that this is very click-baity.

1 out of 4 new Delta Amex cards are either Platinum or Reserve high end cards with the latter giving you free access to Delta Sky Clubs when flying Delta.
This doesn't seem that surprising? There are 4 consumer cards (Blue, Gold, Platinum, Reserve), and I have to imagine that in the grand scheme of things, the 3 commercial cards (Biz Gold, Biz Platinum, Biz Reserve) don't have the cards-in-force that the consumer cards do. So, 1/4 of new cards coming from two of the most popular cards almost feels low. Plus, the Delta Platinum has to pay for access at $39 a pop.

If this article had talked about the change in card membership from 2020/2021 to now, then I could see some reason for speculation. This does just seem like click-bait. Or a thinly-veiled way to publish insider information that he recently received.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is why I wait for the FT interpretation and never click the links.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:10 am

Which sky clubs seemed to be the worst, traffic wise? I'm transiting through BOS, ATL, and JFK in the next few months and haven't experienced it in any of them.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by tuneman005
Which sky clubs seemed to be the worst, traffic wise? I'm transiting through BOS, ATL, and JFK in the next few months and haven't experienced it in any of them.
I’m ATL based and have experienced it there for midday flights both weekday and weekend. B and D terminals most often.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This would make no sense -- it would destroy the value prop of the AMEX Plat (because you already face Centurion restrictions and literally every other AMEX Plat benefit is like a coupon book these days). AMEX didn't shell out all that money to Delta for them to turn around and kill the value of their premium cards.

Don't forget AMEX has started building Centurion Lounges in Delta hubs which is a nod to providing additional lounge space for AMEX members (ATL, JFK, DCA, plus expansions are coming for SFO and SEA)
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:33 am

I’m ATL based and have experienced it there for midday flights both weekday and weekend. B and D terminals most often.
Oh, what I meant was I've yet to visit skyclubs in those 3 hubs and didn't know how busy they typically are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.