Purchasing miles for trip?

Old Aug 14, 19, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Purchasing miles for trip?

Hello everyone -

Pretty newbie question, I know, but I'm planning a flight from JFK to SVO or MRV using Turkish Airlines or Aeroflot and have been looking for ways to reduce the cost of the ticket. I was wondering a couple things - is it possible to purchase miles from someone else and have them transferred to my account, or have that person book the ticket for me? Are those services being offered by any companies? Also, can I use the miles even though I never fly with that specific airline? Would that reduce the costs of the flight? I know some people never use their miles and thought someone would be interested in this type of barter. Let me know your thoughts if it's possible and any resources if it is.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jbdteam View Post
...is it possible to purchase miles from someone else and have them transferred to my account, or have that person book the ticket for me?
Worst idea.

1. Mile transfer may be possible, depending on the programs. However, usually there will be a fee, which can be costly, making the transfer meaningless.

2. Buying an "award" ticket is a high risk. Your ticket can be cancelled before you make the trip. Also, it is in direct violation of the program rule.

Are those services being offered by any companies?
Unfortunately yes.

Also, can I use the miles even though I never fly with that specific airline?
Yes.

Would that reduce the costs of the flight?
Not necessary. In some cases, it will be more expensive.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
This is a bad idea. You will hand over money for a ticket that may or may not still be valid on the date of your flight.

The only way it ever works is if you legitimately have a family member, friend, co-worker, etc. who is willing to use their miles to book a flight for you.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
See this thread, which is active now:

AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles

Person trying to sell points lost 300,000 points; another person possibly buying points or ticket (not clear if it's really a relative) had ticket cancelled.

OTOH, there are times one can properly purchase points from the airline, such as American. But that is NOT buying from someone else!

As they say, "Don't even think about it!"

GC
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
The problem with doing this starts with it being against the terms and conditions of every frequent flyer program. I'm not here to defend FFP T&Cs, but the airlines care about this one. They have fraud detection departments that are on the lookout for that sort of thing. Those people are good at what they do and keep getting better. If you buy such a ticket you are likely to be told at check-in that it's no good, and why. (One method they use to tell purchasers from friends and family who were given tickets as legitimate gifts is to ask the traveler questions about the person whose account the miles came from. A friend or family member would know the answers. A stranger who bought an award ticket from an agency wouldn't.) At that point you have a simple choice: pay the last-minute walk-up fare for your flight or stay where you are.

Search this Thread