Wiki Posts
Search

Stay Away From the Black Market Taxi!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Stay Away From the Black Market Taxi!

Hi All,

I wanted to share my stories about my experience of taking a black market taxi (I know - stupid me). I authored the article but retyped it here so you can just read the story. I also wrote about the better transportation options from/to the airport - I rated them as well.

Story 1: Yerevan, Armenia

The first time, it happened in Yerevan, Armenia. I proceeded to the arrival hall after passing the immigration and passport control. A guy approached me and tried to convince me to hire him. Stupid me, I obliged. We somehow “agreed” on the fare even though I don’t speak Armenian or Russian, and he doesn’t speak English.

I walked to his car – it was a beat-up Mercedes Benz. He took my carry-on and place it inside the trunk. Off we went, so far so good. On our way to the hotel, he started asking for more money – he kept saying “benzine… benzine…”. At first, I didn’t understand, but as childhood, I know “bensin” means gasoline. So apparently, he asked for more money than what we agreed on because he needed to buy gas.

Admittedly, I was gullible. But I wasn’t stupid either. I asked for his number and promised that I would hire him again tomorrow. As soon as he dropped me off at the hotel, I grabbed my carry-on and disappeared in a split second – ha!

Story 2: Luxor, Egypt

The second time, it happened in Luxor, Egypt (not pictured). It was actually not a black market taxi, but it’s pretty much the same scheme. I checked out my hotel room and requested the receptionist to call a cab. I asked the doorman how much it would cost. He told me the amount after confirming with the driver. I agreed and off we went.

The ride to the airport was pretty uneventful – it was a beautiful day in the Luxor. When we arrived I stepped off the car and waited to retrieve my carry-on from the trunk. As you guessed, he asked for more money. The driver lied and said it fare was double. I argued for a minute. But then I thought it wasn’t really worth my time. I gave him some extra cash which I didn’t have much left. I took my carry-on and walked away.

Beyond these two incidents, I had been scammed a few times. They typically have a similar plot which is asking for more money than what we agreed on.

Tips: If you have to take these taxis (last resort), if possible, don't let them put your carry on in the trunk.

So, please be careful and stay safe while traveling!

Have you ever experienced similar scams? Please share your experience.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this appear to be a link to your Blog, I am moving the thread to the External Mies and Resources Forum, which is where blogs are discussed
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by obscure2k
As this appear to be a link to your Blog, I am moving the thread to the External Mies and Resources Forum, which is where blogs are discussed
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Sure, but this forum discusses blogs rather than serving as a base for their authors to spam the forums. ��.

Typically a story with a link to an external source is permitted for discussion so long as the gist of the content is also included in the post here. See: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks.

And the story is, while arguably far too obvious to necessitate a full post or discussion, relevant to travel in general.
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.