James on OMAAT

Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
James on OMAAT

Does anyone know what happened to that Australian writer Ben Schlappig hired for his blog, OMAAT, who suddenly disappeared? He obviously left or was fired, but I’m curious about the circumstances considering it appeared he was doing a good job. I actually enjoyed some of his articles and it was nice to get a perspective of someone who was not a US citizen and lived outside the US.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Working for TPG UK under the name of Ben, which is his real name - OMAAT did not want two Bens!

UK libel law stops me telling you the (alleged) full story ....
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does USwitch have to do with TPG? They seem to be tied in somehow.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Raffles
Ooooh now inquiring minds want to know! Seems it's left Ben pretty much alone to produce content.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We need to know James's "bottom line"...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Seems it's left Ben pretty much alone to produce content.
Long time associate - Tiffany is still involved in Ben's business operations, and recently has been occasionally initiating articles again. However Ben certainly contributes the vast majority of content. He is prolific, and I'm a reader that feels his overall site content has improved dramatically in the last 6-9 months. Personally think this is due to some positive lifestyle changes that he sometimes alludes to.
cerps343 likes this.

Last edited by Craig6z; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Working for TPG UK under the name of Ben, which is his real name - OMAAT did not want two Bens!

Isn't this site owned by a company doing business in El Segundo, CA, USA? 😄
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:39 am

You can certainly point us in the right direction.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Long time associate - Tiffany is still involved in Ben's business operations, and recently has been occasionally initiating articles again. However Ben certainly contributes the vast majority of content. He is prolific, and I'm a reader that feels his overall site content has improved dramatically in the last 6-9 months. Personally think this is due to some positive lifestyle changes that he sometimes alludes to.
Erm... the posts are marked as being authored by Ben, but not all are written by him. MMS and VFTW also had ghost writers, see the infamous 'Who is Drew' running joke.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Erm... the posts are marked as being authored by Ben, but not all are written by him. MMS and VFTW also had ghost writers, see the infamous 'Who is Drew' running joke.
I can't speak for other sites, but in the case of OMAAT this is patently false, and I'm only chiming in here because this is a particular point of pride. While our team at PP will feed Ben stories from their experiences with client bookings, or occasionally help with testing/researching, there are otherwise no unnamed contributors writing on One Mile at a Time. If a post has Ben's (or anyone else's) name at the top, it was written by that person, with perhaps some help from me on formatting a table or whatever else.

As far as James is concerned, we've addressed this several times in the comments when readers have asked, so it's not a secret. He is writing for TPGUK under his given name -- it's a tremendous opportunity for him, and while we were given very little notice, we certainly respect his choice and are happy for him.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Hi Tiffany!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tebfunk
If a post has Ben's (or anyone else's) name at the top, it was written by that person, with perhaps some help from me on formatting a table or whatever else.
Howdy. Ben (Lucky) has been cranking out 11 posts a day this week. And except for Andrew (1 post) nobody but Ben(Lucky) has posted a 'blog' entry in July. Awesome streak.

Last edited by oliver2002; Jul 12, 2019 at 6:23 am
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC

how about part of the story then ?!
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Yeah why is it everybody brings up James/Ben whatever his name is going to TPG and not repeating the story. It was once told in a comments section? Oh then we should have no trouble finding it.

can we just know why James left?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Yeah why is it everybody brings up James/Ben whatever his name is going to TPG and not repeating the story. It was once told in a comments section? Oh then we should have no trouble finding it.

can we just know why James left?
Could it be that Raffles doesn't have anything real on this and is just stirring the pot?

It seems pretty simple to me:
Lucky seems to not be able to keep other writers on the site.

Whether this is because of drama between him and freelancers, differences in opinion, control freak, no need to pay freelancers for blogs if he doesn't see good enough money or traffic coming in, low freelance pay, or whatever rumors may be out there, the end is always the same. He has operated over the years as a heavily one man shop on the writing side, so why is everyone surprised he left when seemingly everyone else he's brought on as a freelancers has left? "James" left for a competing blog but he isn't the first OMAAT writer to leave, likely won't be the last & he's not the first blog writer who TPG has poached from another site.

TPG offered James a full time job and probably give himself a better lifestyle of non-stop travel vs. trying to fit in all that traveling while being a lawyer.

Are there juicy rumors floating around for this, or maybe I'm missing something? I love to rag on those oh so relatable travel bloggers but this seems to be a nothingburger.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.