Live and Lets Fly [merged]

Old Jan 24, 18, 6:29 am
  #121  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,099
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
So either he isn't getting anywhere with SWISS/Aeroplan or he's negotiating a nice settlement with a NDA. I'm assuming the latter considering he'd otherwise be blogging day and night about how right he is and how wrong they are.
I may well have missed recent activity, but I think the last action he took was sending in a demand letter to Aeroplan. Aeroplan acknowledged receipt but he hasn't said anything about having received a substantive reply yet. I wouldn't think that either party would be contemplating a settlement yet at this stage, but I could be wrong. I'm betting Aeroplan slow rolls but eventually responds basically telling him to pound sand.
84fiero is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:39 am
  #122  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,441
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
I may well have missed recent activity, but I think the last action he took was sending in a demand letter to Aeroplan. Aeroplan acknowledged receipt but he hasn't said anything about having received a substantive reply yet. I wouldn't think that either party would be contemplating a settlement yet at this stage, but I could be wrong. I'm betting Aeroplan slow rolls but eventually responds basically telling him to pound sand.
You mean some dishonest pro se yutz trying to get a windfall off a mistake isnt the priority concern of Aeroplan's legal team????
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 7:07 am
  #123  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,099
Commenters are trying to divine hidden meanings behind this post. Kind of interesting reading the comments, though not much by way of responses by the blogger.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....ensation-help/
84fiero is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 9:35 am
  #124  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,441
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Commenters are trying to divine hidden meanings behind this post. Kind of interesting reading the comments, though not much by way of responses by the blogger.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....ensation-help/
The squeaky pig gets the grease. Or something.
84fiero likes this.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 12:03 pm
  #125  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
if airline loses a lawsuit, it does not cost them much, and their response will be to massively devalue programs
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Dec 28, 18, 6:08 pm
  #126  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,441
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
if airline loses a lawsuit, it does not cost them much, and their response will be to massively devalue programs
the lawsuit he threatened had nothing to do with frequent flyer programs.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 18, 12:30 pm
  #127  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
some class action lawsuits are basically to get a company to stop doing something

when the company does stop, they may do something else including a 'devaluation'
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Old Dec 31, 18, 3:56 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,441
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
some class action lawsuits are basically to get a company to stop doing something

when the company does stop, they may do something else including a 'devaluation'
Thank you for that lesson.

I once ate a snail.
84fiero and gpeso8 like this.
Adam1222 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:47 pm
  #129  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Posts: 48,597
SMH. There's 5 minutes of my life wasted...
kokonutz is online now  
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:59 pm
  #130  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 164
Matthew from Live and Let's Fly publicly shaming a child online

I saw this blog post earlier today from Matthew / Live and Let's Fly about a young child who he fairly describes as a "maniac".

I have no objections to the thrust of his article, the child's behaviour was totally unacceptable and the experience sounds awful.

What is more objectionable however is that he has chosen to publicly shame this child by posting ten pictures of him in the article with his full face visible. The child appears to be under 10.

Matthew outlines in the blog that he blames the parents and the child is not responsible, yet despite this he has decided to broadcast this child's picture all over his blog. No attempt is made to protect the child's privacy and the photos are not used only to illustrate the situation.

Now, everyone makes misjudgements sometimes, but in this case a number of people have questioned in the comments section whether it is appropriate to publicly shame this child without blurring his face to protect his identity. In every instance Matthew has defended his decision by saying things like this child has "forfeited his right to privacy." It's somewhat questionable logic for him to assert that this isn't the child's fault however the child has the capacity to forfeit his right to privacy.

My personal view is that this is necessary at best and frankly unethical. In some jurisdictions it would be illegal.

What does the forum think?
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Theirin is offline  
Old Jul 16, 19, 5:45 pm
  #131  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,137
He’s advocating for physically beating the child who looks to be between 4-7 years of age.

Depending on the country, being documented for using “the rod of correction” on a child may be a fast-track to going to jail.

The photos do make the point that the kid really was all over where he shouldn’t have been.

I take more issue with his advocacy for violence against a child — and I won’t buy any excuse trying to deny that is what his blog is calling for too when it comes to the photographed child — than I do with the photographs, since the photos do indeed illustrate and make the story less deniable that the kid really was bouncing around where he shouldn’t be.

Given what I read, it sounds like he has a toddler of his own and goes to Germany at times. The “rod of correction” being used on a child — even one’s own child — may be illegal in Germany. Something he should keep in mind. No less so if his child is also a German citizen.
gpeso8 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 16, 19 at 6:38 pm
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:57 pm
  #132  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,099
Wow, way to online-bully a child - and for what? The clicks? Posting multiple un-censored pics of the kid? And then the name-calling..."demon-possessed? It may be legal but it's petulant and crass. I'd rather have that child in front of me than this blogger. The superficial manner in which he shames the child while pretending to blame the parents is pathetic.

Unfortunately, this kind of nasty, sanctimonious, bullying is par for the course with this blog. I understand the frustration with the situation and wouldn't have been happy either, but this was not the way to go about venting. He should have censored or blurred the face - really bizarre not to have done so, as it isn't pertinent to the "story". Though that doesn't help what he wrote.
Adam1222 and Beltway2A like this.
84fiero is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:27 am
  #133  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
He’s advocating for physically beating the child who looks to be between 4-7 years of age.

Depending on the country, being documented for using “the rod of correction” on a child may be a fast-track to going to jail.

The photos do make the point that the kid really was all over where he shouldn’t have been.

I take more issue with his advocacy for violence against a child — and I won’t buy any excuse trying to deny that is what his blog is calling for too when it comes to the photographed child — than I do with the photographs, since the photos do indeed illustrate and make the story less deniable that the kid really was bouncing around where he shouldn’t be.

Given what I read, it sounds like he has a toddler of his own and goes to Germany at times. The “rod of correction” being used on a child — even one’s own child — may be illegal in Germany. Something he should keep in mind. No less so if his child is also a German citizen.
I didn't really take that in when I was reading it, but I agree that the advocacy of violence isn't appropriate either. Although I think that it's the pictures that are more likely to have an actual impact on the child.

I agree that the pictures illustrate the situation well, but they would have illustrated it just as well if he hadn't shown the child's face.

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Unfortunately, this kind of nasty, sanctimonious, bullying is par for the course with this blog. I understand the frustration with the situation and wouldn't have been happy either, but this was not the way to go about venting. He should have censored or blurred the face - really bizarre not to have done so, as it isn't pertinent to the "story". Though that doesn't help what he wrote.
I hadn't noticed that in the past about this blog, but given this article and the attitude of the blogger I will be doing my best to avoid visiting the site going forward.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Theirin is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 1:54 am
  #134  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,917
The pictures have been edited now. Nice clickbait to punch his pageview numbers up for July.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:20 am
  #135  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 164
While I'm glad that they may have been covered up now, if it was just about getting some extra views up that's even more deplorable.

I think I will stick with avoiding that site in the future.
84fiero likes this.
Theirin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread