Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAcon3 2016 Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
BAcon3 2016 Washington DC

It's all about "travel blogger buzz" with an emphasis on the buzzzzzzzz!

Anyways, in the past few weeks it appears blog action has died down or I am either getting too eclectic or both.

Interesting to see the merger of all the writers at Upgdr except the main dude into Travel Codex.

Apparently BACon 16 blogger conference is going on this weekend at NYC. Of course the Titan bloggers have a session telling everyone how to be like them. Number 1 tip:

'Never ever mention the Ameriprise Amex Platinum, only pimp the 40k regular offer...because...conversions!"

BACons end with everyone chanting "It's all about conversions".

Or something like that...
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by gpapadop
It's all about "travel blogger buzz" with an emphasis on the buzzzzzzzz!

Anyways, in the past few weeks it appears blog action has died down or I am either getting too eclectic or both.

Interesting to see the merger of all the writers at Upgdr except the main dude into Travel Codex.

Apparently BACon 16 blogger conference is going on this weekend at NYC. Of course the Titan bloggers have a session telling everyone how to be like them. Number 1 tip:

'Never ever mention the Ameriprise Amex Platinum, only pimp the 40k regular offer...because...conversions!"

BACons end with everyone chanting "It's all about conversions".

Or something like that...
A few errors... first, it's currently in DC, not NYC. Second, I think there was one session (of many) re: affiliate links. The rest is about responsible blogging (Intro to copyright law, good practices for sourcing, SEO stuff, etc.). The rest of the conference is BA giving us social time and thanking us for writing for essentially free

Gotta say your comment really lacks objectivity, a trait you so pointedly attack.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I was at the last BACon as a guest and it was genuinely 90% about better blogging, better SEO etc - good quality stuff from qualified speakers.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by durberville
A few errors... first, it's currently in DC, not NYC. Second, I think there was one session (of many) re: affiliate links. The rest is about responsible blogging (Intro to copyright law, good practices for sourcing, SEO stuff, etc.). The rest of the conference is BA giving us social time and thanking us for writing for essentially free

Gotta say your comment really lacks objectivity, a trait you so pointedly attack.
In this discussion on "responsible blogging" was there any talk about killing deals or the bias of recommending sub par CCs that pay a commission?

I'm guessing they weren't discussed.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by freeloader
In this discussion on "responsible blogging" was there any talk about killing deals or the bias of recommending sub par CCs that pay a commission?

I'm guessing they weren't discussed.
"Killing deals" was certainly a significant topic when chatting with other bloggers (though I don't believe there was a presentation on that). I didn't hear anything about the latter issue.

The impression I got from other bloggers is that on the whole, they take "blogger responsibility" quite seriously, while trying to balance the fact that as a blog, we are inherently in the business of writing stories. Deals are obviously a big story which bring lots of readers. I think a large message from the conference was about attribution, which applies to deals. I think the prevailing view is that if: (a) the blogger found the deal alone, it's up to them to do what they want with the content (yes, someone else might have also found it, but it's a big world out there!), or; (b) if the deal is already published on the internet in a public way (FT, Reddit, etc.), it's free game, as long as you attribute.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond

DC vs NYC: Ok, I was close...East Coast!

I am sure you are all writing for free and BA is allowing you to do it for free.

It's business man. And conversions.

While you are all attending a Titan presentation, did anyone have the balls to stand up and say "Why are you pimping the 40k Amex Platinum and the RC card so much?". Of course not. You all go along blogging about helping your readers how to travel for free and wishing you were like them.

I like Randy, he is a great person and good business man. I just wish he had higher standards in admitting standards. When I see another post by PM&M taking advantage and tricking readers with yet another cookie...it is hard to take the joint seriously.

I respect your opinion.

You all have a great week!

It was so quiet with so many at BACon. Back to the grind of posting so much BS
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Back to the grind of posting so much BS
Is this still the format of your blog? It has been a long time since I visited! :-)
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The rest is about responsible blogging (Intro to copyright law, good practices for sourcing, SEO stuff, etc.).
Well that's good, as some of the BA bloggers could really use an education on how not to violate copyright law.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I had a wonderful time at BAcon this year and think many of the snarkers here would've been pleasantly surprised at the content from speakers and from other BA bloggers. Seeing Randy's heart for bloggers and hearing everything that the support team is doing for the BA bloggers was refreshing and motivating.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EP
"Killing deals" was certainly a significant topic when chatting with other bloggers (though I don't believe there was a presentation on that). I didn't hear anything about the latter issue.

The impression I got from other bloggers is that on the whole, they take "blogger responsibility" quite seriously, while trying to balance the fact that as a blog, we are inherently in the business of writing stories. Deals are obviously a big story which bring lots of readers. I think a large message from the conference was about attribution, which applies to deals. I think the prevailing view is that if: (a) the blogger found the deal alone, it's up to them to do what they want with the content (yes, someone else might have also found it, but it's a big world out there!), or; (b) if the deal is already published on the internet in a public way (FT, Reddit, etc.), it's free game, as long as you attribute.
Maybe some. But the ones I am thinking of, definitely not. You made made me spit out my Diet Coke with that one!!! Lol
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

"Responsible blogging?" LOL. Whoever has taught that at BA sessions in the past clearly needs to be replaced. (Of course, responsible blogging is inherently subjective, but the lack of meaningful sponsor/advertiser disclosures on most BA blogs, the promotion of affiliate links when there are better deals available, misleading plaudits for specific cards just because they have affiliate links, etc, are hardly "responsible blogging." Sounds more like "how to get by with doing the bare minimum not to get in legal trouble.")

And spare me that BA bloggers are doing it "for free." While BA isnt paying them, it is providing a platform for making sales money. The Club1 hotel junk posted incessantly on BA blogs over the past month is proof. BA bloggers did well in the shameful election today, as it is highly unlikely that the CFPB, if it survives at all, will regulate credit card marketing.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
.. The rest is about responsible blogging (Intro to copyright law, good practices for sourcing, SEO stuff, etc.). The rest of the conference is BA giving us social time and thanking us for writing for essentially free
Hopefully the people from Delta Points blog attended that session?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Hopefully the people from Delta Points blog attended that session?
Not sure about the blog you mention as RenésPoints has been now 1 year and 1 month under the new branded name (maybe you have not had time to visit).

If so, myself and many other bloggers are now posting about BAcon3. Here is my review called "BAcon Bits": http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/2016/11/10/bacon-bits-interesting-gems-weekends-boardingarea-conference-dc/

Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:49 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Not sure about the blog you mention as RenésPoints has been now 1 year and 1 month under the new branded name (maybe you have not had time to visit).

If so, myself and many other bloggers are now posting about BAcon3. Here is my review called "BAcon Bits": http://renespoints.boardingarea.com/2016/11/10/bacon-bits-interesting-gems-weekends-boardingarea-conference-dc/

Are those the Renes!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.