The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The unlikely pairing notwithstanding, I find the first Foto creepy looking and the second makes it look like there’s a gun to his head or something with the forced smile.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gmt4
Oh the irony...dead and irrelevant company getting advice from the former CEO of a dead and irrelevant travel blog. Strangely appropriate.
Very unlikely that he doing any work there... more likely the marketing agency reached out to RV to get some marketing support.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Duke787
Have a young child so get emails from BuyBuyBaby on a regular basis (for the coupons). Color me surprised when I saw this show up in my inbox to tout their new rewards program. Weird crossover for TPG and way off brand IMO. Seriously though did he just run out of alternative revenue streams or is he really branching out to any and all loyalty programs whether they have a travel element or not?
Who isn’t into loyalty programs in a world where even Marlboro/Philip Morris/Altria were hooking up with McKinsey to see how they could get the loyalty program points game to work for them.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Brian might be swayed by RV marketing gurus to go first strike in the demographics of (young)families.....

before OMAAT scoops up all (family-focused) affiliate links using his kid as USP for referrals....

at least no competition for those commissions by VFTW - LALF - LL - GSTP - HFP
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Mommypoints was bought by TPG/RV for exactly that purpose... I wonder why they didn't use Summer? That would have been on brand?
GUWonder and joecool1885 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
OT from the last few posts, but I'm reminded today why I read TPG just a handful of times a year (mainly when they pop up in search results), compared to daily a few years back ....

In my search for info about Hyatts non-stay dining bonus, I was led to https://thepointsguy.com/news/current-hyatt-promotions/

But the article says it's 3x points, and some of the examples I've seen reflect actual triple points (I.E, 5X base points per dollar, and 10X points bonus).
But I can't discuss or verify it with TPG, because there are no comments. So their (likely) incorrect information will just stay there, potentially causing harm to people who could take advantage of this (for instance, by crediting it to spouse account when staying at the hotel, getting 15X instead of 5X).
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:03 am

And TPG will get some income on your hotel bookings from Hyatt if you click on any links leading to the Hyatt page...
Xyzzy and joecool1885 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Brian might be swayed by RV marketing gurus to go first strike in the demographics of (young)families.....

before OMAAT scoops up all (family-focused) affiliate links using his kid as USP for referrals....

at least no competition for those commissions by VFTW - LALF - LL - GSTP - HFP
Gary and Gilbert have got toddlers and I've got a 14 and 11-year old (not sure about Matthew or John). My kids would actually be very keen to sell themselves out for a few quid :-) My daughter did do some photo for a HfP / Marriott promo once!
HadesNL likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
And TPG will get some income on your hotel bookings from Hyatt if you click on any links leading to the Hyatt page...
No affiliate scheme from Hyatt ....
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Mommypoints was bought by TPG/RV for exactly that purpose... I wonder why they didn't use Summer? That would have been on brand?
Brian will have a newborn very soon. Surely his child will be more age appropriate?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:36 am

Its been a while that I've been in a Bed Bath & Beyond, but isn't their target audience the stereotypical female american in flyover states? Brian (even with a baby in arm) is not exactly what would appeal to them to collect points in that store...?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:43 am
Suspended

The only times I've been by Bed Bath and Beyond was around the DC area when it seemed like it had become a convenient way for relocating types to the area to quickly get things for their high-priced rental apartments and condos in the area. Amazon has probably put a squeeze on that sort of traditional retailer too.

This is basically what became of that: https://thepointsguy.com/family-travel/

TPG has sort of screwed the pooch with building out from their acquisition of mommypoints.com, but they still are "featuring Summer Hull, of Mommy Points".

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 5, 2022 at 2:48 am
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by GUWonder
TPG has sort of screwed the pooch with building out from their acquisition of mommypoints.com, but they still are "featuring Summer Hull, of Mommy Points".
Darn Skippy.
Is it weird that I used to read, enjoy, and get use out of content from mommypoints even though I'm a guy with no plans for a kid, and then once TPG swooped her up, she quickly became lost in the weeds to me?

In a just world, TPG would've been absorbed by mommypoints, not the other way around 😉
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joecool1885

In a just world, TPG would've been absorbed by mommypoints, not the other way around 😉
I don’t know about that. As much as I like what Mommypoints put out, TPG’s founder put in the kind of effort and had a passion to make a much more widely marketable product and put together a team to magnify his effort and passion. Being a single man provides opportunities in the miles/points space that aren’t as available to an on-hands mother to a young child or two while also trying to nurture a relationship with a spouse with their own work and work travel schedule as a constraint on the family’s time.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
had a second peek...

Wouldn't you want someone attractive (or with relatable friendly charm) to represent Bed Bath & Beyond....
A fridge shows more enthusiasm!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.