Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by TBD
TPG almost certainly is allowed to remove content. But the root issue is why they would want to.
To quote:

"
Not surprisingly, TPG deleted a lot of original reporting that was negative for airlines. Remember when a United flight attendant put a dog in the overhead bin and it died? I was the first to report that story, and it went viral. That post is now deleted. Another one of these is when American Airlines flight attendants came out publicly against AA's new 24-inch wide bathrooms on its 737 MAX aircraft. Not surprisingly, that's one of many negative AA posts that were deleted."
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Raffles
To quote:

"
Not surprisingly, TPG deleted a lot of original reporting that was negative for airlines. Remember when a United flight attendant put a dog in the overhead bin and it died? I was the first to report that story, and it went viral. That post is now deleted. Another one of these is when American Airlines flight attendants came out publicly against AA's new 24-inch wide bathrooms on its 737 MAX aircraft. Not surprisingly, that's one of many negative AA posts that were deleted."
There certainly seems to be incentive for them to do that, given how much they've...commercialized since they started.

But is correlation = causation here? Seems a lot of articles have been deleted/modded, and in correlation, some of those involve some critique of airlines.

Believe me, I'm no defender of TPG. I'm just wondering how much of this is some procedural thing with his departure, or there's some nefarious erasure going on. No dog in this fight, I don't care, but I'm just curious!
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MMS was equally scrubbed a few years after TPG bought it. They own what the writers created, so they can do whatever they want with it...?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
MMS was equally scrubbed a few years after TPG bought it. They own what the writers created, so they can do whatever they want with it...?
I think there is little doubt that they *can* do that, but it is further proof that they are in no way a journalistic outlet and that staff like Benet Wilson, who claim to be journalists doing journalism, are either fooling themselves or others.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
MMS also reauthored posts. Though they were doing that even before they sold out.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by tom911
Just learned from the Points Guy that there are "nearly 50" countries in the European Union.

Seems to contradict the EU itself.

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en

Any idea how they come up with 50? Guessing they're counting some countries that are not EU member states.
I mean 27 is nearer to 50 than to zero?
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Here https://thepointsguy.com/news/things...ed-trip-paris/ the “author” says:
“I admit it was a bit disconcerting to see so many people smoking in restaurants, stores and on the street. And don’t bother asking for a no-smoking section, since there aren’t any available.”

I have been to Paris numerous times since they changed the smoking law and the above is not only counter to my experience it is not true at all. It is a lie. And funny that a cig is a trigger event.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
“The croissants were delicious”. Well some even most are but some aren’t that good. ... does this mean ?

When I arrived on July 16, I was hungry but didn’t feel like going to a restaurant.”. Most people writing about Paris go to Paris and skip the restaurants.

One of my colleagues is on temporary assignment as the magazine’s European editor and moved to Paris right before Covid. The heart of the City is its restaurants and cafes.

Sure, skip the restaurants and have a baguette.
dingo and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
“The croissants were delicious”. Well some even most are but some aren’t that good. ... does this mean ?

When I arrived on July 16, I was hungry but didn’t feel like going to a restaurant.”. Most people writing about Paris go to Paris and skip the restaurants.

One of my colleagues is on temporary assignment as the magazine’s European editor and moved to Paris right before Covid. The heart of the City is its restaurants and cafes.

Sure, skip the restaurants and have a baguette.
This looks like a super lazy post thrown together so she could consider the trip a business expense. Things she learned include "The weather was great?"
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by onetouchpass
There certainly seems to be incentive for them to do that, given how much they've...commercialized since they started.

But is correlation = causation here? Seems a lot of articles have been deleted/modded, and in correlation, some of those involve some critique of airlines.

Believe me, I'm no defender of TPG. I'm just wondering how much of this is some procedural thing with his departure, or there's some nefarious erasure going on. No dog in this fight, I don't care, but I'm just curious!
TPG own the content. They purchased it when they comissioned the writer to write it for them, and paid them for it.

They can do whatever they want with it.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
Here https://thepointsguy.com/news/things...ed-trip-paris/ the “author” says:
“I admit it was a bit disconcerting to see so many people smoking in restaurants, stores and on the street. And don’t bother asking for a no-smoking section, since there aren’t any available.”

I have been to Paris numerous times since they changed the smoking law and the above is not only counter to my experience it is not true at all. It is a lie. And funny that a cig is a trigger event.
I'm currently in Paris and yes, it was always like it is, smoking permitted outside not permitted inside.
Since today, I haven't seen any restaurant in Europe that have limited outdoor space having a no-smoking section outdoor.

I’m of an age where I remember when smoking in the U.S. was allowed everywhere — until it wasn’t. Paris hasn’t gotten there yet. I admit it was a bit disconcerting to see so many people smoking in restaurants, stores and on the street. And don’t bother asking for a no-smoking section, since there aren’t any available.
I wish she could have shared a photo of someone smoking inside inside a store ( even censured ). It's a total lie.
I don't want to go OMNI but I could write 1000+ words regarding the honor system in the US and people smoking w*** in parks in major cities in touristic areas and nothing happens.

Also to be honest, touristic spots are not sold out in advance and yesterday, I was able to purchase a walk-in ticket at Musée d'Orsay with no wait, and there are available tickets for the Eiffel Tower even for tomorrow. Those who have been to Paris pre-COVID would know that the lines were much worse then and the hotels were much expensive at that point where the wait time for the Eiffel Tower was 1-2 months during the summer with no walk in tickets available through the ticketing booth.

However, I'll agree with the author that most of the tourists are local tourists from the EU ( with most of them coming from inside France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium ). There are also a decent number of US tourists ( although much less than pre-pandemic levels ), and people from the Middle East ( the population who likes shopping at luxury Champs-Elysées stores ).

Edit: Grammar
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Jul 18, 2021 at 8:03 pm
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Today I learned that there are no public transportation options at LGA. Guess I really haven't take the bus to the subway or all the way into Manhattan on past flights there (or that the author has never flown into LGA and taken advantage of those options).

Passengers flying in and out of LGA have to rely almost exclusively on cabs and ride share services, because there is no public transportation option to get you to and from the airport. You can imagine the traffic congestion this causes.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/laguar...-faa-approval/

The airport might disagree, too, as they have an entire page devoted to transportation options including three bus routes. Just one sentence from it:

Travelers leaving or heading to Terminal A can take either the Q48 bus, with connection to the 7 subway line at 111 St/Roosevelt Av or the Q47 bus, with connection to the 7, E, F, M, R subway lines at 74 St/Roosevelt Ave or the M60 SBS to Manhattan.
https://www.laguardiaairport.com/to-...transportation
Markie, Xyzzy, pudgym29 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by tom911
The airport might disagree, too, as they have an entire page devoted to transportation options including three bus routes. Just one sentence from it:
Not only that but in a few years and just announced yesterday (in terms of final green light/approval), there will be an efficient AirTrain to the airport that links with the LIRR and the subway.

AirTrain to LaGuardia Airport Gets Green Light

"The $2.1 billion AirTrain to New York’s LaGuardia Airport cleared its final hurdle Tuesday as the Federal Aviation Administration gave its approval."The project, which was first proposed in 2014, will be similar to the people mover at John F. Kennedy International Airport known as the AirTrain JFK.... <SNIP>

T
T
T

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jspira
Not only that but in a few years and just announced yesterday (in terms of final green light/approval), there will be an efficient AirTrain to the airport that links with the LIRR and the subway.

AirTrain to LaGuardia Airport Gets Green Light

"The $2.1 billion AirTrain to New York’s LaGuardia Airport cleared its final hurdle Tuesday as the Federal Aviation Administration gave its approval."The project, which was first proposed in 2014, will be similar to the people mover at John F. Kennedy International Airport known as the AirTrain JFK.... <SNIP>

T
T
T

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Err, yes, thats what the story was talking about.
jspira likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Err, yes, thats what the story was talking about.
I was just following the comments and posts - i wouldn't bother clicking on any of the tpg stories and the headline wasn't display, hence my ignorance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.