Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Why do bloggers continually review the same product?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do bloggers continually review the same product?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I'm thankful to have a full-time job that I love and a blog network that doesn't force me to only write about the points and miles aspect of travel. It's given me the freedom to focus more on photography, which I feel is a strength of mine, instead of using card approvals as a source of income on which I depend.

I don't blog as much as I should, which is the reason I could never do credit card affiliate links. Also, there was a long period in my life where credit card debt was out of control and it took me years to climb back from it, and I wouldn't want to be the (however well-intentioned and caveated) vehicle for someone to fall into the same thing.

As far as doing the same thing as other bloggers, whenever there is news that affects my readers I want to share it with them, although I am certain many of my readers follow other BoardingArea bloggers. There are many that do not follow other bloggers so I'm at least decently sure my voice could be the only one they hear from about certain topics.

I review products when I fly them and try to make at least the photography better than the others I see out there. Inevitably I cover the same products as many others because I'm oneworld loyal, as are many of the titans in the space, but I try to differentiate by not covering every detail of the experience (I usually don't take pictures of menus, for example) but picking out certain elements of the experience and spending quite a long time on my photos to show them not only how it looked but give them insight into how it felt.

Given all the above though, the posts where I try to be different and sometimes contrarian don't get many pageviews. To date the posts that have the highest residual viewership are trip reports of the same flights that have been covered by 50+ other bloggers.

Anyways, my two cents. I think I basically said the same thing further up the thread but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to say it again.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Raffles
.... which you will see in 2 weeks that Randy has already realised.

If you are trying to make money selling things to a small group that is dedicated to getting the best deal possible in every possible scenario then you will be on to a loser, definitely!
So looking at the number of hits for each of the blog posts on the IF site (which the site conveniently displays), I can't imagine that it's financially viable. There are only four that have surpassed the 1000 views mark. Apparently the audience interested in learning how to cook in your hotel room is pretty limited. How is Emirates getting their money's worth for sponsoring the site?

And the forums (milepoint 2.0)? Less traffic than Milepoint before the rebranding, as far as I can tell.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:08 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And the forums (milepoint 2.0)? Less traffic than Milepoint before the rebranding, as far as I can tell.
I guess we know why there was no Milepoint Premium offer for 2015: the partners didn't see enough promotional value in giving away their points or status cheaply.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
...I think I basically said the same thing further up the thread but thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to say it again.
That's the blogging spirit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.