Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Copy cat! Copy cat! You copy this and that!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Interesting post I just read: http://loyaltylobby.com/2014/11/01/b...ntbreaks-list/ (hat tip: the link from TBB).

My favorite comment: ""Hat tip" is a blogger weasel word."

Interesting little trap he sprung.

On the one hand, everyone learns/steals from everyone. I always say: stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from two sources is editing; stealing from three or more sources is research.

But lifting a value-added piece of work line for line and presenting it as your own work does seem to fall in that first category.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:11 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I always say: stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from two sources is editing; stealing from three or more sources is research.
I like that! Can I use the quote unattributed?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moderator2
I like that! Can I use the quote unattributed?
Jeez...not even a weaselly hat tip!?!!?

Meh, it's public domain. Have at it.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
My favorite comment: ""Hat tip" is a blogger weasel word."

During my weak efforts at running a blog, I have picked up that Google SEO is big on back links, etc.

So I'm pretty sure "hat tipping" is in the bloggers own interest, provided they link to the place they stole from.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
This was yet another item has made me question the quality and ethics of The View from the Wing blog.

I also love that John from LoyaltyLobby doesn't conform to the norms of other bloggers.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
This was yet another item has made me question the quality and ethics of The View from the Wing blog.
How in the world can you possibly say that when VFTW is the WoodStein of Cookie Gate!?!!?

Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
During my weak efforts at running a blog, I have picked up that Google SEO is big on back links, etc.

So I'm pretty sure "hat tipping" is in the bloggers own interest, provided they link to the place they stole from.
No that's not how it works. Hat Tipping is giving link juice back. It is adding links to bigger sites that work in the bloggers best interest, such as trawling the bigger sites leaving messages with linked comments.

But that doesn't mean that taking posts from others to provide fresh content doesn't help a blogger out.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
haha, love the title

http://saverocity.com/pfdigest/forwa...tion-surfaces/

that should clear it up a bit
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freeloader
haha, love the title

http://saverocity.com/pfdigest/forwa...tion-surfaces/

that should clear it up a bit
On the one hand, everyone learns/steals from everyone. I always say: stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from two sources is editing; stealing from three or more sources is research.

But lifting a value-added piece of work line for line and presenting it as your own work does seem to fall in that first category.

Wait, it's like deja vu all over again!

AKA, I couldn't believe it when I found out what other blogger was caught plagiarizing! Neither will you!!!!!!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I always say: stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from two sources is editing; stealing from three or more sources is research.
deleted
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: SQ
I remember Loyalty Traveler did a post on how everyone copied his Pointbreaks list.

IFIRC he misspelled something on purpose and it was on everyone else's page as well.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by GaryZ
deleted
I agree!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
boardingarea.de also had a blogger who was 'inspired' quite a bit by a fellow BA blog, upto the extent to use the same images. That blog is no longer part of the happy BA conglomerate.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I remember Loyalty Traveler did a post on how everyone copied his Pointbreaks list.

IFIRC he misspelled something on purpose and it was on everyone else's page as well.
Loyalty Lobby did that and it was, let's just say, very interesting to see who copied the list!

Got me a binder full of Titans...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've caught one borrower after changing slightly the punctuation in a clip I posted on my page from a targeted promotion.

I didn't report it or make a stink, but it changed how I decided to deal with that individual in the future.

Do your own research, people! There's nothing wrong with a unique twist or commentary on an already blogged about story. But to try to pretend like you broke the news with no hat tip is disingenuous at best, especially when the clipping gives away your original source (either via planted clues like a misspelling or punctuation change) or completely borrows large chunks of text or photos with no attribution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.