#flyforpink AWESOME! But a concern...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
#flyforpink AWESOME! But a concern...

http://flyforpink.com/

Some of you know that breast cancer research is a cause near and dear to my heart, as my ex-wife succumbed to it a year and a half ago.

So I laud Randy and co. for setting aside $10k for a donation this month.

But I find it incredibly unwise for people to be posting boarding passes on social media with full name and ff#. And even if it's not the full info, with a free scanner app I am able to get that data from the bar or box code.

Randy provides these 'tips for posting your boarding pass:'

Boarding Pass Privacy
We think privacy is a good thing so consider the following before posting:
* cover your name with your thumb.
* use a pen to mark out your frequent flyer number.
* use an app like Skitch to blur out anything you don’t want in public view.
But clearly no one is following them.

Am I the only one who would never post a boarding pass to social media? Even for a good cause?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
20000 boarding passes with full details: ticket number, full legal name etc etc. Even if some of it is about a week old its a treasure trove for data
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've expressed my concerns about that as well. It seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Such is life.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
http://flyforpink.com/

Am I the only one who would never post a boarding pass to social media? Even for a good cause?
Nope. Applaud the cause, but have the same concerns.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I post boarding passes to social media all the time (as a running joke for a couple friends of mine), but I think I take care to ensure that about the only thing anyone could figure out from them is where I'm sitting. Not the flight number, origin or destination, and date.

This is a worthy cause, and I applaud Randy and company for the support. It's up to the rest of us to be mindful of posting PII on social media....or to be aware that we've done it and decide not worry about it.

Last edited by MJonTravel; Oct 10, 2014 at 6:52 am
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MJonTravel
I post boarding passes to social media all the time (as a running joke for a couple friends of mine), but I think I take care to ensure that about the only thing anyone could figure out from them is where I'm sitting. Not the flight number, origin or destination, and flight number/date.

This is a worthy cause, and I applaud Randy and company for the support. It's up to the rest of us to be mindful of posting PII on social media....or to be aware that we've done it and decide not worry about it.
Be sure to also black out bar codes.

Just for snicks I was pointing my iPhone app at some of the BPs on the flyforpink page to find out folks 411. If a Luddite like me can do that, I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could really have a field day with that information.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 6:57 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
this was possibly the dumbest idea ever in re: to 'raising awareness' perhaps after the ice bucket 'waste water' challenge in recent times.

good intentions aside, now I'm curious as to who was actually behind this campaign. big banks or companies like google who already have all the data they would ever need on us and are still not satisfied. or newer entrants like FB or twitter using this 'social media' push to actually generate some revenues by analyzing a whole treasure trove of data and reselling it to the highest bidder :P
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Randy provides these 'tips for posting your boarding pass:'
But clearly no one is following them.
so.. [?]

the vast majority of people on social media are not concerned with privacy
the vast majority of travelers are clueless regarding topics on flyertalk

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 10, 2014 at 6:42 pm
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so..

the vast majority of people on social media are not concerned with privacy
the vast majority of travelers are clueless regarding topics on flyertalk
Is this a haiku!?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this a haiku!?
behavior of FTers is totally different from general population.

with a free scanner app I am able to get that data from the bar or box code

if they are requiring you to post personal info, then i would agree this is a problem.
are they requiring, or can it be anonymized?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
behavior of FTers is totally different from general population.

if they are requiring you to post personal info, then i would agree this is a problem.
are they requiring, or can it be anonymized?
As kokonutz posted in the OP, they don't require personal info, but the site's advice as to what to redact is incomplete as it doesn't advise redacting the bar/box code, for one thing.

Given the site is operated by folks who know that the code can reveal the passenger's information, they ought to be providing better/more explicit advice as to what should be omitted - as most of the public doesn't realize what can be gleaned from the code. It wouldn't be hard to add several words to the pop-up on the site to include that recommendation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.