Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Area's Fall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I wasn't going to say anything but, yes, writing publicly about an expert witness assignment is quasi-insane. Among other things, he'll have his blog post read back to him on the stand and he'll be asked about its inconsistencies with his testimony in both nuance and substance. Talking to the press (let alone blogging) about an assignment without clearing it first with the lawyers who hired him will endear him to no one, and a seemingly cavalier disregard of even basic notions of confidentiality won't exactly win him any friends either. The flip side of all this is that the blog post was general and not situation-specific -- so it could've been a lot worse.

But I still thought the post was interesting.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I spent 15 years in private practice and the last 20 as an administrative law judge. And, it's a spectacularly bad idea. Probably the last time he'll be retained as an expert witness. Given the lack of common sense I've seen from VFTW lately, I'm not at all surprised that his internal governors are way off on this, though.
I don't have the 35 years of legal experience (just one here, ), and I think this is one of the most ridiculous blog posts I've ever seen.

I mean....really?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I don't have the 35 years of legal experience (just one here, ), and I think this is one of the most ridiculous blog posts I've ever seen.

I mean....really?
If he thinks he can testify with the same lack of attention to detail and shoddy analysis he sometimes brings to his blog posts, he'd better hope opposing counsel is asleep at the switch. If not, he'll quickly learn the difference between blogging and testifying in court.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
If he thinks he can testify with the same lack of attention to detail and shoddy analysis he sometimes brings to his blog posts, he'd better hope opposing counsel is asleep at the switch. If not, he'll quickly learn the difference between blogging and testifying in court.
What about counsel who hired him? I wonder if they know about the post.

If I hired an expert, just to find out they then wrote a blog post about being an expert.....

Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since there seem to be lots of assumptions here: this is a past case, successfully resolved. Posts contain only a very generic level of detail, which engaging counsel is specifically comfortable with. Seemed to me there were some worthwhile lessons for at least some frequent flyers but as always YMMV.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gleff
Since there seem to be lots of assumptions here: this is a past case, successfully resolved. Posts contain only a very generic level of detail, which engaging counsel is specifically comfortable with. Seemed to me there were some worthwhile lessons for at least some frequent flyers but as always YMMV.
Good. Because the post's language "recently engaged" could mean "recently served" but more generally would be interpreted to mean "recently retained"--implying that the litigation hadn't yet concluded. And I guarantee that most trial judges are none too happy with pending or current litigation being discussed in a forum outside the courtroom.

If our assumptions are faulty, then the conclusions may be as well. Also a worthwhile lesson.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by gleff
Yay! Gary posts on Flyertalk!!! Welcome home!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:46 am

Via a link from Gary, there's an interesting recent post by Pizza in Motion about American's possible pull-out from EZE by year-end. No, I don't mean the substance. The interesting part for me is how much better and well-informed -- in every way -- the several comments from JBCarioca are than the blog post itself. I'm not sure I've ever seen such an extreme blog-versus-comments quality disparity before but then, too, I stopped reading Pizza in Motion after his first couple of posts.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Via a link from Gary, there's an interesting recent post by Pizza in Motion about American's possible pull-out from EZE by year-end. No, I don't mean the substance. The interesting part for me is how much better and well-informed -- in every way -- the several comments from JBCarioca are than the blog post itself. I'm not sure I've ever seen such an extreme blog-versus-comments quality disparity before but then, too, I stopped reading Pizza in Motion after his first couple of posts.
Saw this too. One of the only reasons I visit BA now .... comments!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:57 pm

Yes, I absolutely agree though a lot of the blogs unfortunately don't get much in the way of comments. In particular, a lot of the comments at One Mile at a Time are really good -- part of the reason why I usually like the blog -- and sometimes Gary's answers to comments are even better than his original post.

By way of contrast, the comments at The Points Guy are often clueless although I suppose we all realize that he pitches to a completely different audience.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yes, I absolutely agree though a lot of the blogs unfortunately don't get much in the way of comments. In particular, a lot of the comments at One Mile at a Time are really good -- part of the reason why I usually like the blog -- and sometimes Gary's answers to comments are even better than his original post.

By way of contrast, the comments at The Points Guy are often clueless although I suppose we all realize that he pitches to a completely different audience.
Except, oddly, TPG articles are upmarket (in terms of the writing style and layout). We're not in MMS circles and arrows territory!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:24 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
TPG articles are upmarket (in terms of the writing style and layout)
Layout: sure. But writing style??!?

The whole thing's very neatly put together, and most of the articles are search engine friendly and follow the house formula. But being professional -- in the same way a tabloid newspaper has to be professional to survive and thrive -- doesn't make a site "upmarket". Most of TPG's writing could benefit from being trimmed by ten to fifteen per cent, much of it by more.

[Maybe we need a thread without "Boarding Area" in the title if we want to discuss TPG and MMS?]
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:58 am
Suspended

I think OMAAT's comments are some of the worst, easily on par with TPG.

The reason is: OMAAT's fans are drooling over Ben. He can do no wrong in their eyes. The comments range from "have a good flight, Ben!" to "leave Ben alone!"
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:52 am

Ok, sure, those kinds of comments are pretty silly and, as you say, OMAT has more than its share of that sort of thing. (For what it's worth, I also skip most of the esoterica involving premium cabin redemptions on foreign airlines and almost anything having to do with credit cards.) But I think saying that OMAT's and TPG's comments are "on a par" with each other isn't really defensible. Put differently, I think that fawning silliness (OMAT) and simple lack of sophistication (TPG) are two very different problems. Perhaps in your view both problems nonetheless conflate into one -- the comments just aren't worthwhile -- but in my view the more insightful comments on OMAT make all the difference . . . or at least a lot of difference a lot of the time.

As I've said before about Boarding Area as a whole, I would certainly agree that you do have to pick and choose what you read.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I think OMAAT's comments are some of the worst, easily on par with TPG.

The reason is: OMAAT's fans are drooling over Ben. He can do no wrong in their eyes. The comments range from "have a good flight, Ben!" to "leave Ben alone!"
To be fair, he's had his share of true trolls who would post awful comments about his lifestyle and orientation--issues other blogs don't face. I think some of his regular commenters feel more protective of him as a result although I agree their comments tend to go overboard. I no longer go to OMAAT as often, but it's mostly because Ben's just gotten stuck in a feedback loop of premium cabins, airport lounges, and upscale chain hotels. After awhile, that just bores me because to my mind, on any decent trip, the airline flight ought to be a minor part of the experience, and if the world outside my hotel room is interesting enough, then I really only need a hotel with a good location that's kept safe and clean with a staff that's not rude to me (or anyone else, no matter the status).

Slightly OT, my sister sent me an article about the rash of uber-upscale first class cabins and asked me if I'd consider one (I regularly fly business class and did an international first last month while she's a coach devotee). In our email exchange, she said that she might consider one, but only if she was stuck on a plane--she rather get back on the ground and enjoy life again.

Just a reminder that FT is a definite subsection of the flying public and that bloggers like Ben are an even smaller subsection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.