Search

View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Clicking on the link and reading Gary's post and then his nasty responses to commenters who dont agree with him confirmed why I removed him from my feed years ago. He is in the top 3 most entitled, self-righteous blogger list.
I disagree with him on his blog quite often when it comes to his trying to sell people on the Koch Bro(s)/Club of Growth type thinking, and yet I've never gotten a nasty response from him. He's usually very good about tolerating disagreement and seems to enjoy learning from disagreement and disagreeing even as he won't change his position; and this is one of the things I really do like about him.

I understand how he could be annoyed by the airline agent's denial of a very useful item -- that is the folded-up stroller -- as cabin baggage and thus jeopardizing their relatively comfortable transit an airport with a 2-year old. Especially when that kind of item has been routinely allowed as cabin baggage on previous AA flights for quite some time.

I find this stroller blog entry situation to be uncharacteristic of the VFTW principal.

My biggest criticism about the VFTW is that The Jerry Springer Show and tabloid type blog elements have attracted the participants and audience it could be expected to attract/retain -- such that at times it could be called the View from the Extreme Wing. But it's important to see that the world is full of all sorts of types, good and bad.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 9, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Old May 10, 2021, 12:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The tabloid posts are essential for SEO, all 'Titans' of the miles & points world do it for some reason. Travelling with a toddler is stressful and (potential) harm to a stroller is a trigger for increased expression about it. Quite a few threads on flyertalk too.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The tabloid posts are essential for SEO, all 'Titans' of the miles & points world do it for some reason. Travelling with a toddler is stressful and (potential) harm to a stroller is a trigger for increased expression about it. Quite a few threads on flyertalk too.
VFTW didn't mention whether the child was using:

a) a child car-seat in the cabin on those flights;
b) a CARES-style, FAA-approved child harness; or
c) just the regular seatbelt for the 2 year-old on the flights.

It seemed to me like they had checked in luggage with AA, so maybe there was some annoyance from that part of the travel process even before getting to the SAN gate with the stroller.

The VFTW blogger has become a bit more vocal against mask use to travel. Maybe it's a function of concern/frustration related to trying to get a 2 year-old child to keep a mask on during a trip.
Old May 21, 2021, 3:45 am
Suspended

Did VFTW apply for and receive any money as a result of the US federal government’s pandemic relief programs? Given how critical VFTW has been of the bailouts of the airlines, just curious if much the same basis of criticism applies also to commercial travel bloggers who may have been bailed out by applying for (and receiving) financial assistance arising from the government’s pandemic relief programs.
Old May 21, 2021, 5:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Uh oh...

https://projects.propublica.org/coro...llc-9094907310
Adam1222 and lsquare like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
All for himself too. Lol.
Old May 21, 2021, 7:55 am

There is another one that can be found if you search for the name of owner. Thru a different lender, so its not a duplicate.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:06 am
Suspended

There is another one that can be found if you search for the name of owner. Thru a different lender, so its not a duplicate.
Cross River Bank for one application, and Kabbage for the other application.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Cross River Bank for one application, and Kabbage for the other application.
And each appears to be for a single person peration...
Old May 21, 2021, 10:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
And each appears to be for a single person peration...
There used to be some people used for award travel bookings? Maybe a spouse or some others were on payroll at times?

I conclude on this: there may appear to be a bit of the practice-preach divergence when it comes to opposition to government bailouts while diving in for a share of the bailouts anyway; and b) he’s been around DC enough and paid enough attention on matters in this area before to know better than to risk getting caught going beyond the boundaries of propriety when it comes to federal benefits programs.
Old May 21, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There used to be some people used for award travel bookings? Maybe a spouse or some others were on payroll at times?

I conclude on this: there may appear to be a bit of the practice-preach divergence when it comes to opposition to government bailouts while diving in for a share of the bailouts anyway; and b) he’s been around DC enough and paid enough attention on matters in this area before to know better than to risk getting caught going beyond the boundaries of propriety when it comes to federal benefits programs.
I don't think there's any suggestion that he's acted improperly by seeking and accepting the benefit-- I presume he met the eligibility requirements. it's just that he's acting hypocritically because he spews free market garbage generally, and also criticizes companies that employ more necessary workers for taking such funds.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
My wife and I have several sole proprietorships that took a hit due to COVID. And we got more free money than Gary appears to have. Suze Orman always says never leave money on the table. Especially free money!

As for the hypocrisy, well sure. Of course. But talking one way and acting another is par for the course for Koch 'libertarians'. https://subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst...och-industries
Old May 22, 2021, 3:45 am

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but aren't they loans? i.e. they do still need to be paid back?
Old May 22, 2021, 5:36 am

The first round of SBA PPP loans were forgiven if you used more than 60% of it for payroll:

https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs...an-forgiveness
Old May 22, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
God bless America indeed!

I could have taken a £50k interest free loan but frankly with interest rates so low it wasn’t worth the time required to fill in the paperwork and dunk it in the bank.

I did get £10k off the U.K. Government as part of their ‘help the rich get richer off the taxes of the poor’ programme (or whatever it’s called) but they cheekily made it taxable so over 50% went back ….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.