Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:40 am

Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2023, 8:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think it is far more likely that the fact that *no one* has chimed in to agree with your many posts that the failure to have a FT thread for the host hotel is a sign of poor event quality is because no one agrees with you, than some conspiracy that the people who disagree with you are actually the event organizers. The people who have disagreed with you have been posting on this forum for years and their identities are not secret. And many of them agree that these events are a s***show. They just think that this aint why and it's a weird thing to fixate on.
Hey hey! Some of us still pine for the days where FlyerTalk mattered in the frequent travel space! Just Ask Jeeves about it!
SPN Lifer and learnedpaw like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:12 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Hey hey! Some of us still pine for the days where FlyerTalk mattered in the frequent travel space! Just Ask Jeeves about it!
No need to do that.

Just call using your landline telephone with the rotary dial feature...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
No need to do that.

Can't do that because I've got the rotary dial handset in the cradle modem in order to participate in this online conversation!
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:41 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
No need to do that.

LOL 🤣

In all seriousness, some of my best friends (to this day) come from FlyerTalk, not to mention a great friend and my current TravelZork Travel Business Partner. Always appreciate what FlyerTalk provided for me, with regard to a community and social connections.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
LOL 🤣

In all seriousness, some of my best friends (to this day) come from FlyerTalk, not to mention a great friend and my current TravelZork Travel Business Partner. Always appreciate what FlyerTalk provided for me, with regard to a community and social connections.
Sorry to story-top, but I found my wife thanks to FlyerTalk: I proposed...to another Flyertalker...on an airplane. And, shockingly, she said YES!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 10:48 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Sorry to story-top, but I found my wife thanks to FlyerTalk: I proposed...to another Flyertalker...on an airplane. And, shockingly, she said YES!
You win! 🙌
🤩
kokonutz and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Actually, most amusing is that the FT MOD Do was scheduled the same weekend as CS; since both are "somewhat" FlyerTalk focused. Alas, perhaps, they are different markets and different audiences. Personally, I think that people going to the events that bring them happiness is the best path forward. As long as everyone is positive about the events they are attending instead of focusing "energy" on being negative about other events, I think it's all fine.
Well not to point out the obvious, but the FT Mod Do is for Moderators where they solve all things FT & the venue changes between US & somewhere outside US each year (Covid time being exemption). Totally different than Chicago Seminar Do.

I do agree w/ you that people should choose the CSE venue that best meets their needs & everyone should just focus on getting the most info they can from whichever they attend - whether that be in a session, the hallway or bar late at night (where this year you won't have me yelling ge-e-e-t your raffle tickets due to other scheduling conflicts ).

Side note to all, whichever they attend. You are NOT going to remember everything. There is just too much info. Try to get 1 good idea per session you attend.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Whether or not a FlyerTalk thread is ever opened on the latter hotel would seem to be an insightful predictor on the likelihood of success for that event. Time will tell.
Oh for crikey's sake. I've attended a gazillion FT Dos over many years, whether it be regular Dos, Chicago Seminar Events, Mod Dos, FTUs - never once did I read a thread on the hotel property at any of those events, whether they were held in the US or outside US. Truly. The event is where the event was & that's all that mattered to me.

If it's important to you to know more about a particular hotel, then bump the hotel thread in the appropriate FT forum & ask for updates or, if there is no thread, then create one in the appropriate hotel forum & ask if anyone has stayed there & their input.

BTW - I've said this before (and going to the title of the thread) I disagree w/ the title. I don't think anyone hosting these events is trying to fleece/rip off the unsuspecting attendees. The attendees attend, hoping to get info that they can capitalize on to better their travel. Whether it's worth the entry fee at the end only they can say.

Cheers.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post # 217)
If it's important to you to know more about a particular hotel, then bump the hotel thread in the appropriate FT forum & ask for updates or, if there is no thread, then create one in the appropriate hotel forum & ask if anyone has stayed there & their input.
I won't be attending, so it's not important to me personally.

I greatly appreciate the thread you started on the original venue.

There are many ways to be helpful.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:38 pm

I won't be attending, so it's not important to me personally.

I greatly appreciate the thread you started on the original venue.

There are many ways to be helpful.
Usually if something is not important to someone, they don’t post about it 7-8 times in several threads
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The fact that the organizers of one this year's dual competing events don't even know how to open a FlyerTalk thread on their chosen hotel venue speaks volumes as to their competence.
What I find amusing is how the “dual-competing” miles and points credit-card-pushing events this October aren’t at Hyatt hotels. Isn’t Hyatt the hot hotel program for the miles and points bloggers still nowadays? The Hyatt Rosemont with the Travel Fanboy doesn’t count.

A sign that the airline and hotel loyalty programs have reached such extremely dominating market positions and have so successfully formally and informally co-opted various channels/forums/allies that traveler-friendly narratives critical of the status quo get crowded out and don’t matter like they used to matter.

No need to do that.

Don’t forget those landline phone party lines. FT used to have the equivalent with the FT chatroom feature, and there the sharing required neither ticket nor invitation. But alas things that don’t make money tend to see their support eventually pulled and end up permanently offline or otherwise relegated to the archival history at best or the dustbin. [Play the song Dust in the Wind (from Kansas).]
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dr88 (Post # 219)
Usually if something is not important to someone, they don’t post about it 7-8 times in several threads
Even more so with respect to tracking posts and to replies.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=GUWonder;35431974]What I find amusing is how the “dual-competing” miles and points credit-card-pushing events this October aren’t at Hyatt hotels. Isn’t Hyatt the hot hotel program for the miles and points bloggers still nowadays? The Hyatt Rosemont with the Travel Fanboy doesn’t

Great point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.