Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

I proposed...to another Flyertalker...on an airplane. And, shockingly, she said YES!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I proposed...to another Flyertalker...on an airplane. And, shockingly, she said YES!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:22 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Smile I proposed...to another Flyertalker...on an airplane. And, shockingly, she said YES!

Good old Flyertalk. Great for finding out about nuances of FFPs, getting the skinny on hotel upgrade potential, killing mistake fares and tricks and passing a few hours goofing off with other very frequent flyers in OMNI. Oh, and also finding someone to marry.

Ok, let's turn on the waaaay back machine. It was July 27, 2002. IO12609 and I met at the SEA RCC as we prepared to venture to the then-regular FT Great American Beer Festival/Portland BrewFest Do, but starting in SEA and RVing down to Portland with a motley crew of FTers.

With a few bumps along the way we became great friends, eventually ending up travelling with other FTers to London many times, Bangkok, Singapore, Napa, Florida, Sydney, Munich, Amsterdam, Auckland, Prague, etc, etc. We were in relationships with other people along the way, but we remained relatively close friends.

One thing that was pretty typical, though, is that we'd always spend a lot of time talking, catching up, and enjoying our time in the old-school config UA business class seats as we crossed oceans on group trips.

Then 15 months ago we ended up on a 'group trip' to Russia that, after group attrition, ended up being just us, although we did meet up with some other FTers there. It was kind of funny, too, as they all assumed we were dating...and although we weren't yet, we were AWFULLY close!

We did end up spending a lot more time together both in our hometowns and traveling after that trip.

She eventually moved to DC so we could date properly and we ended up buying a home together a couple months ago.

And so it was that we boarded UA flight 916 IAD-FRA a couple weeks ago, and settled into the classic-style business seats in which we'd gotten to know each other over the years.

I'd made arrangements with the flight crew ahead of time (it helps to have connections! ) and after dessert was cleared the flight crew approached with tray of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries. I got on bent knee somewhere over Nova Scotia or thereabouts and asked her to marry me.

Shockingly, she said yes. And I got double-confirmation, so ^

, cause I know chicks can't get enough of the ring.

The flight crew gave us a round of applause, and although the business class cabin was half-empty, I DID get a fist-bump from the guy across the aisle after the deed was done.

When we woke up on approach to FRA the FAs had prepared this: .

We spent the next 9 days exploring Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Zagreb and Ljubljana and planning the rest of our lives together. Traveling the world.

And, as I posted to the FaceBook just before takeoff on this flight and adventure:

I have great hopes that we shall love each other all our lives as much as if we had never married at all.
-- George Gordon Noel, 6th Baron Byron

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: UA
Wow! Amazing! All the best for the rest of your lives!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Fabulous!! What a great way to do it. Congratulations and best wishes to the FT couple.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
That's awesome. Congratulations koko!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
CONGRATULATIONS!

May you have many more miles together!
I too have a proposal story involving UA
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
What a great story!!!
Congratulations to both of you!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
^ ^ ^ Congratulations on the upgrade - and best wishes for a long and happy life together!! ^ ^ ^
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Efrem
^ ^ ^ Congratulations on the upgrade
LOL

First things first, right?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:19 am

Congratulations^^

Some of us still don't know who your lady is. Aren't you gonna tell us?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Congtats to be sure.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Great story. Ring is beautiful, and the strawberries, champers & going away bottle/napkin (napkin should be framed to preserve the moment/memory) look pretty good too!

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Congratulations! ^
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Im not a regular here but congrats anyway
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: HH Silver
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

And as we all know nothing says congratulations like a fist bump.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Just wanted to add my congrats to you Matt! She's a great lady and I wish you all the best together!!

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.