Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
It's his own blog, he's justified to write about anything he wants with the readership he's built up himself, and he's not obligated to make sure every (or really, any) post is personally educational to yourself.

Some of the criticisms in this thread are justified, but this is... not.
Sure, he can’t post whatever he wants. But it’s gone from informative good content that was useful for everyone. To criticizing Trump, and driving home credit card links.

We get it: he wants to make money and he hates Trump. Just stop pretending to be apolitical and be honest with where he’s taking the blog
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum

Sure, he can’t post whatever he wants. But it’s gone from informative good content that was useful for everyone. To criticizing Trump, and driving home credit card links.

We get it: he wants to make money and he hates Trump. Just stop pretending to be apolitical and be honest with where he’s taking the blog
It's pretty easy to tell which posts to avoid just by reading the title. I bet you anything the posts that you are being critical of have high reader engagement. Ben's not stupid. I'm sure he's seen the analytics and knows that people eat this stuff up. Hot topics, aviation news, help me pick/plan my next trip, etc... If what you like are the trip reports and getting updated on frequent flyer programs... just read those posts?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
It's pretty easy to tell which posts to avoid just by reading the title.
i find a good way of reading his blog it to use the weekly summary posts ... allows me to skip all the credit card stuff ... and the high end hotel reviews ... and just read the stuff that i'm interested in. which is usually around 10 posts a week. but that's just a fraction of his total output !
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ladies and Gentlemen, dear kids,
To quote Greta:

5 posts on appearance and repetive comments deleted. Trying to make a point over and over again serves no purpose.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
cruisr likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:02 am

Has OMAAT progressed to just another TPG? Way back when before OMAAT was a giant money making machine Ben would instantly reply to emails, help with award bookings, and provide really great data.

Now it seems to me it’s just become a place to sometimes get good advice, and definitely find a credit card. And pay them for award help.

Not that I blame the guy. I mean, I can’t say I would do it differently if I had a chance at becoming a multi-millionaire using the platform he worked hard at.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Has OMAAT progressed to just another TPG? Way back when before OMAAT was a giant money making machine Ben would instantly reply to emails, help with award bookings, and provide really great data.

Now it seems to me it’s just become a place to sometimes get good advice, and definitely find a credit card. And pay them for award help.

Not that I blame the guy. I mean, I can’t say I would do it differently if I had a chance at becoming a multi-millionaire using the platform he worked hard at.
he's on safari this week if you tried emailing this week
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
he's on safari this week if you tried emailing this week
The old days are over...
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
The old days are over...
They have been over for several years...
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
They have been over for several years...
You can say that again. Money rules all, again not that I blame them.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Whoa. Hang on a sec. This is in response to a statement that:

‘Ben would instantly reply to emails, help with award bookings, and provide really great data.’

The complaint is, let’s be clear, that Ben used to voluntarily help out everyone who asked and now doesn’t, despite the only thing on this plate being writing 50 articles per week and dealing with all the admin that comes with running a big company. I am struggling to feel sorry for people who can no longer treat him as a well of free advice.

If we gross up my email and social media contacts, he will be getting around 500 emails and messages a day. (I get over 100). What, exactly, do you expect from him? Would YOU personally answer 500 messages per day, unpaid? Doing 100 takes 2-3 hours per day of my time, unpaid. My business would be a lot bigger if I deleted them all and focused on the company. Most do not even reply with a thank you.

Last edited by Raffles; Sep 10, 2019 at 10:50 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
Doing 100 takes 2-3 hours per day of my time, unpaid. <snip> Most do not even reply with a thank you.
but that's a hard one - because if all 100 people replied saying "thanks" to your replies ... then that would be even more of your time used up !

some people prefer not to receive another email.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:42 am

Wait a second, I’m not out to slam Lucky. I’m just being real about him and his website. I have no ill-will towards the guy, and I want to make that clear. But let’s just be honest about what’s really happening.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:02 am

Wait a second, I’m not out to slam Lucky. I’m just being real about him and his website. I have no ill-will towards the guy, and I want to make that clear. But let’s just be honest about what’s really happening.
Well of course, OMAAT used to be a hobby project of an 18 year old college kid blogging about his passion, and is now a major business of a 30 year old man with a husband and family. You're surprised that somewhere along this line, priorities have changed?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Complaining that a stranger is not promptly responding to what may be an inane question because they are on vacation may be one of the least valid criticisms I've ever heard.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Complaining that a stranger is not promptly responding to what may be an inane question because they are on vacation may be one of the least valid criticisms I've ever heard.
Indeed. It's too bad there isn't some sort of a message board or forum, where NWplatinum could ask questions and have discussions with other participants about travel and award programs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.