FUD in the upgrade process from "one of our own"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FUD in the upgrade process from "one of our own"

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Surprised this didn't get picked up here earlier. I read this yesterday on Rene's blog yesterday and pretty much dismissed it immediately.

Probably a PMNW agent who didn't know the new rules.

I can confirm that check in time has no bearing on UG list ranking.

A couple months ago, My boss and I (both PM's) booked the same flight, same fare, etc. Only difference was that I booked my flight 8 hours later as I was waiting on boss to make decision on which flights to take and I would follow suit. Also, that flight I checked in online the day before while my boss did not. She actually checked in about 1hr before our flight at LGA when she checked her bag.

GIDS showed my boss ranked immediately above me as her request was a few hours before mine.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Haha... I thought the last two words were ... Up dude...
That as well...
Old May 9, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Not to defend Deltapoints but...

Originally Posted by mridley2
Surprised this didn't get picked up here earlier. I read this yesterday on Rene's blog yesterday and pretty much dismissed it immediately.

Probably a PMNW agent who didn't know the new rules.

I can confirm that check in time has no bearing on UG list ranking.

A couple months ago, My boss and I (both PM's) booked the same flight, same fare, etc. Only difference was that I booked my flight 8 hours later as I was waiting on boss to make decision on which flights to take and I would follow suit. Also, that flight I checked in online the day before while my boss did not. She actually checked in about 1hr before our flight at LGA when she checked her bag.

GIDS showed my boss ranked immediately above me as her request was a few hours before mine.
The ranking provided by Deltapoints includes "time of request" as determined by when you bought the ticket followed by time of checkin. Look at his edit and the original blog.

In your case, your boss beat you on time of request making time of checkin immaterial if in fact this is a criterion after time of request. Not any different if it were a DM who bought a L ticket yesterday versus a PM who bought a B ticket 2 months ago - the DM wins every time if there's one last seat to give away.

That said, even if there was such a tie breaker as time of checkin, when would it ever come to that? It is already highly unlikely that any two fliers will match completely down to Amex reserve status let alone match to the second of time of request. Even if one were to truncate time of request to the last 90 days, that's a lot of unique time of requests possible - in minutes its 130,000, in seconds almost 8 million. Since it only matters in the case of the last upgrade seat (not all upgrade seats) you get the idea. In your case, an 8 hour difference still had you both next to each other.

Not to belabor the point, but the information in the blog is worth about as much as you paid for it.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Bicostal
The ranking provided by Deltapoints includes "time of request" as determined by when you bought the ticket followed by time of checkin. Look at his edit and the original blog.

In your case, your boss beat you on time of request making time of checkin immaterial if in fact this is a criterion after time of request. Not any different if it were a DM who bought a L ticket yesterday versus a PM who bought a B ticket 2 months ago - the DM wins every time if there's one last seat to give away.

That said, even if there was such a tie breaker as time of checkin, when would it ever come to that? It is already highly unlikely that any two fliers will match completely down to Amex reserve status let alone match to the second of time of request. Even if one were to truncate time of request to the last 90 days, that's a lot of unique time of requests possible - in minutes its 130,000, in seconds almost 8 million. Since it only matters in the case of the last upgrade seat (not all upgrade seats) you get the idea. In your case, an 8 hour difference still had you both next to each other.

Not to belabor the point, but the information in the blog is worth about as much as you paid for it.
I now see his edits as well. I commend him for changing it after sufficient questioning, but only downplaying the significance and still not making it clear what the order of UGs is.

I have learned to take his posts with a grain of salt, or not read them at all. He is a good blogger, but shares a number of inaccuracies on his blog. Do note the comments where he repeatedly pupus comments for questioning whether his previous post was correct. And I quote, "May 8, 2013 at 6:48 am
@Piotr G – no. I have 100% confirmed this with Delta that the time of check-in is the “time of request” and it does play a roll in upgrades!"

Perhaps he needs to be more clear in his explanations or interpretations of what these corporate contacts he has is telling him?
"Delta Points says:
May 9, 2013 at 10:21 am
@emrdoc – I have direct e-mail and voice contact from Delta corp spokes people. Two things, if this were factually incorrect they could comment on the blog. This post is factually correct. Next, other are certainly free to disagree, email me I am an idiot, that I know nothing about Delta and start other discussions elsewhere (as has happened) but to me this matter is closed as well as any more comments on this post as they serve no purpose in helping readers. The post, as written, is confirmed factually correct by my direct and official contact at Delta Air Lines. I will use this information to my advantage!"
Old May 9, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by timmy83
I now see his edits as well. I commend him for changing it after sufficient questioning, but only downplaying the significance and still not making it clear what the order of UGs is.

I have learned to take his posts with a grain of salt, or not read them at all. He is a good blogger, but shares a number of inaccuracies on his blog. Do note the comments where he repeatedly pupus comments for questioning whether his previous post was correct. And I quote, "May 8, 2013 at 6:48 am
@Piotr G – no. I have 100% confirmed this with Delta that the time of check-in is the “time of request” and it does play a roll in upgrades!"

Perhaps he needs to be more clear in his explanations or interpretations of what these corporate contacts he has is telling him?
"Delta Points says:
May 9, 2013 at 10:21 am
@emrdoc – I have direct e-mail and voice contact from Delta corp spokes people. Two things, if this were factually incorrect they could comment on the blog. This post is factually correct. Next, other are certainly free to disagree, email me I am an idiot, that I know nothing about Delta and start other discussions elsewhere (as has happened) but to me this matter is closed as well as any more comments on this post as they serve no purpose in helping readers. The post, as written, is confirmed factually correct by my direct and official contact at Delta Air Lines. I will use this information to my advantage!"
Funny, I tend to check in at T-23:59 and almost always #1 on upgrade list...23 hours later, I tend to be much further down on said list.
Old May 9, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Funny, I tend to check in at T-23:59 and almost always #1 on upgrade list...23 hours later, I tend to be much further down on said list.
That makes 2 of us. I sure feel great about my UG chances all the way up until T-23:58, when I become 2/2 for 0 seats
Old May 9, 2013, 7:40 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
What a joke... I can't even comment on the blog... easiest way to stop discussion or someone telling you are wrong... lock the blog page from accepting comments
Old May 9, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ryandc99
What a joke... I can't even comment on the blog... easiest way to stop discussion or someone telling you are wrong... lock the blog page from accepting comments
That's his style. It seems that someone at Boarding Area should really review if Delta Points is a good fit. I have no objection to people blogging, but Boarding Area seems to be trying to do something coherent, and Delta Points doesn't fit in my mind. I got into a extended, uh, discussion over stopover/open jaw rules in the comments on one of his erroneous posts. I knew I was right and he was wrong, but Rene would not accept it. Eventually he asked me to take the discussion to email, which I did, but he never acknowledged that he was wrong. I haven't gone back to see if he's corrected the erroneous information, but I suspect he hasn't.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This forum is meant for discussions pertaining to DL itself and not about blogs written about DL. If you have an issue with a blog post it there or simply stop viewing it.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.