FUD in the upgrade process from "one of our own"

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
FUD in the upgrade process from "one of our own"

Over at the delta points blog, seems like misinformation might be a new sport:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...rades-chances/

The most recent post asserts that "check in" is "time of request" for the upgrade tiebreaker. You can see people (including me) asking for more information, or at least confirmation that this is correct - and his absurd attitude towards them.

In the previous post linked in that article (http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...lta-air-lines/) he's actually telling people to buy K+ fares because "you are moving way up over other medallions (other than Diamonds)."

It's all a bit insane, combined with his attitude about the whole thing... but I have a better understanding why there's constant confusion around the process now

Last edited by smachiz; May 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm Reason: fixed the second URL
Old May 9, 2013, 8:09 am

Check in time has nothing to do with upgrade priority. It used to with the old NWA. Time of request for upgrade is the time you book and purchase your ticket. That is one of the tiebreakers, but not the most important one.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
[deleted]
Old May 9, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
I like Rene, but this is more misinformation from his blog. He acts as some sort of "authority" on DL with insider information - which he does not appear to have. I don't mind a bit of confusion/misinformation if the blogger can accept that he/she is wrong, which DeltaPoints consistently fails to do.

I have confirmed this with DL several times - it's time of ticketing.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: DL PM
If you are ticketed but upgrade eligible, I presume "time of request" is actually when you call back in and they add you to the upgrade list? I know I've had some issues in the past (and even one recently) where the requests didn't go through at time of ticketing.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jb008
If you are ticketed but upgrade eligible, I presume "time of request" is actually when you call back in and they add you to the upgrade list? I know I've had some issues in the past (and even one recently) where the requests didn't go through at time of ticketing.
This is true (especially in the era of the new DL website). I have confirmed that re-ticketing for things like seat changes [thanks for the heads up months ago, MSPeconomist] or itinerary changes (relating to schedule issues) will also affect your place on the upgrade list (I have also conducted little experiments with these things).
Old May 9, 2013, 9:26 am

Looks like delta points is like a dog with a bone...
Old May 9, 2013, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timmy83
This is true (especially in the era of the new DL website). I have confirmed that re-ticketing for things like seat changes [thanks for the heads up months ago, MSPeconomist] or itinerary changes (relating to schedule issues) will also affect your place on the upgrade list (I have also conducted little experiments with these things).
Interesting - I didn't know that seat changes would cause a reticketing.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by smachiz
Interesting - I didn't know that seat changes would cause a reticketing.
It doesn't typically- but there was a website issue causing seating assignments not to stick (resolved, I believe), which necessitated a call to customer service or a tweet to DeltaAssist. Some of the DL agents were re-ticketing the itinerary to assign seats in these cases.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timmy83
It doesn't typically- but there was a website issue causing seating assignments not to stick (resolved, I believe), which necessitated a call to customer service or a tweet to DeltaAssist. Some of the DL agents were re-ticketing the itinerary to assign seats in these cases.
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the info and clarification!
Old May 9, 2013, 9:52 am

To clarify. If you make a reservation online at delta.com and purchase the ticket, you would immediately see "upgrade requested" (assuming you are Elite). That is the point at which the process for the request is noted. If you don't see "upgrade requested" due to web site problems (imagine that), then you need to call in.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
What's "FUD?"
Old May 9, 2013, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
To clarify. If you make a reservation online at delta.com and purchase the ticket, you would immediately see "upgrade requested" (assuming you are Elite). That is the point at which the process for the request is noted. If you don't see "upgrade requested" due to web site problems (imagine that), then you need to call in.
....and the time that you call to request the upgrade becomes the final tie breaker.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
What's "FUD?"
an acronym for "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt" - specifically, it can refer to companies intentionally misrepresenting other companies' products, to make them seem inferior, but is often used to refer to the general spread of misinformation as a whole. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_u...inty_and_doubt
Old May 9, 2013, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Haha... I thought the last two words were ... Up dude...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.