Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Million Mile Secrets
To clarify - I warned commentators with a history of mean and viscous comments directed at others to NOT keep changing usernames when they post comments; otherwise they would be added to the comments.

There are hundreds of critical comments on the blog, and they still remain. But I *will* add comments which are spammy (different user names and with characteristics of spam) to the spam list.

Call that censoring if you will.
I hope you don't think we're so naive as to think you censored that comment because of the handle and not the content

Your response to Jays pretty tame comment by personally attacking him speaks volumes

Can you just put this to bed once and for all – did you research and write this series, or did someone else? it matters to some people, and i’d think i’d fall under the Mother-in-Law rule – if she asked you this question – wouldn’t you answer it?
Pretty bland and straightforward comment, right? Nothing overtly malicious about it one would think, and only requires a quick yes or no answer.

MMS response:
@Jay – I emailed you. I refuse to be intimidated by commentators with a history of fake names, mean, and viscous comments.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:17 am

Because other comments on the same subject are still up.
On TBB, Rob says that you blocked him from the site

Censoring the ability to make comments.... is censoring
Old May 24, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by the hotel bar

Pretty bland and straightforward comment, right? Nothing overtly malicious about it one would think, and only requires a quick yes or no answer.

MMS response:
I was referring to the previous comments by the commenters, not the current comment. To be clear - Jay hasn't posted anything malicious and we email each other.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:23 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Because other comments on the same subject are still up.
Ok, but how do you respond to the question: who wrote the series of posts that appear under your byline?

You seemed to answer commenter 'Jay' by email. How answering the question for the rest of us?
Old May 24, 2013, 9:29 am

I was referring to the previous comments by the commenters, not the current comment. To be clear - Jay hasn't posted anything malicious and we email each other.
So he didn't ask anything malicious, yet you still chose to ignore his question?

Also, the woe is me attitude is quite remarkable, as if the people asking you a simple yes or no question are completely unfounded in wanting to know the answer
Old May 24, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Gold
To clarify - I warned commentators with a history of mean and viscous comments directed at others to NOT keep changing usernames when they post comments; otherwise they would be added to the comments.
The comments are too viscous? Would you prefer they have a water- or milk-like viscosity?
Old May 24, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
So he didn't ask anything malicious, yet you still chose to ignore his question?

Also, the woe is me attitude is quite remarkable, as if the people asking you a simple yes or no question are completely unfounded in wanting to know the answer
His mother in law told him to ignore the comments calling him out on his bs and keep on pimping those credit cards affiliate links with bigger bs such as the 80 hours he spent on Lufthansa's website.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by satz
His mother in law told him to ignore the comments calling him out on his bs and keep on pimping those credit cards affiliate links with bigger bs such as the 80 hours he spent on Lufthansa's website.
This is crazy. I used to like MMS, but he keeps evading the question and is being dishonest. It actually now puts the whole thing into question and people are going to start wondering if he even wrote the American Airlines award booking series. Once you go shady, that's it. An actor is only as good as his last film.

I say we all go keep posting in his comments (under ONE username each) until he admits to it. It's not spam if it's one comment each. It will be like our own little petition on his blog!

Actually, his site is ranked high enough and is a primary enough source of frequent flyer info that I wonder whether any publications may be interested in him being exposed as a fraud...

at least TPG discloses when someone else did the writing.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Aphrodite91
It actually now puts the whole thing into question and people are going to start wondering if he even wrote the American Airlines award booking series.
It also puts into question whether all of the comments who play the "I don't care who wrote it. Amazing job Darius!" card into question
Old May 24, 2013, 11:38 am

at least TPG discloses when someone else did the writing.
He doesn't imo, but he also doesn't give off the impression in the post/comments that he was the one who wrote it. And if you ask him if he wrote it, he'll give an honest answer.

Assuming that Drew doesn't have the same mother-in-law as Darius, and follows the same mother-in-law rule that Darius does, then this comment....

If you’re new to miles and points, like my mother-in-law
..... intentionally deceives readers into thinking this is Darius who wrote it

There's plenty of other similar instances where he makes it sound like he wrote it
Old May 24, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
He doesn't imo, but he also doesn't give off the impression in the post/comments that he was the one who wrote it. And if you ask him if he wrote it, he'll give an honest answer.

Assuming that Drew doesn't have the same mother-in-law as Darius, and follows the same mother-in-law rule that Darius does, then this comment....

..... intentionally deceives readers into thinking this is Darius who wrote it

There's plenty of other similar instances where he makes it sound like he wrote it
I mean, he has plenty of posts where he writes "So and so goes over Hilton C&P, etc". Maybe not disclosure every time, but he does admit it. I mean, TPG is the shadiest shadester ever and MMS is going further than even him with his latest shenanigans.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Gold
I mean, he has plenty of posts where he writes "So and so goes over Hilton C&P, etc". Maybe not disclosure every time, but he does admit it. I mean, TPG is the shadiest shadester ever and MMS is going further than even him with his latest shenanigans.
Agree with this. TPG is very clear on when he has a guest author/contributor/etc. During the recent GreenDot series, Brian was nowhere to be found. All comments were addressed by Jason, the guest author.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:26 pm

Right, like I said, he probably doesn't give as much disclosure as he should (story of his life....), but to my knowledge, he never actively misleads people about who wrote it, and if someone asks him, he openly says who it was

And as previously mentioned, sometimes the hired gun responds directly in the comments

I could be wrong on these matters, as for obvious reasons, I've curtailed my going to tpg.com over the past year or so
Old May 25, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
I'm not supporting either team, and no offence intended to those who are, but what difference does it make who wrote the post?

¯(°_o)/¯

I really don't see what the big deal is. Please enlighten me.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jatink129
I'm not supporting either team, and no offence intended to those who are, but what difference does it make who wrote the post?

¯(°_o)/¯

I really don't see what the big deal is. Please enlighten me.
The argument is this.

There are 20 bloggers whose click you can use if you want to get this card, and thus earn them $100 for zero work.

Is MMS misrepresenting the work he put into this post in order to persuade people to use his link? Would people be less willing to use his link if they knew he'd just paid someone else to write the stuff?

I think the answer to the 2nd question is actually No, but a big hole has now been dug by his refusal to be upfront. Although, as I said elsewhere, if I wanted an 8-part series of using LH miles on my blog, then I too would be paying someone else to write it because I don't know that much about them - although I would happily be upfront about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.