Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Beltway2A
First attempt at a wiki, so feel free to wiki away at it (add blogs, add links, etc, etc):

Censors:
Delta Points (Renés Points)
Frugal Travel Guy
Milesabound - censors himself on rants
milesforfamily
MileValue
Million Mile Secrets
Very Good Points
Point Me To The Plane
Flyertalk
Travel Blogger Buzz - (proof is TBBs own words here)
TravelSkills
The Points Guy
The Points of Life
GodSaveThePoints
One Mile at a Time

Does Not Censor:
First2Board
Fishing4Deals
Food, Wine, and Miles
Hack My Trip
Head for Points
Miles From Blighty
Miles To The Wild
Points Summary
The Points Jock - Bill of Rights +1
ThreadTripping
Traveling Well For Less
Wald Around The World
Will Run For Miles
Doctor of Credit
View From the Wing

Print Wikipost

Which miles and points blogs censor comments?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:34 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I can understand why some blogs censor. No one likes to be criticized, and it's even worse when you don't know the person or have an opportunity to discuss the matter like polite adults (the Internet brings out the worst in people). I'm reminded of this comic on xkcd:

http://xkcd.com/386/

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it, but it has gotten easier. Now some of the meanest comments are actually more amusing than hurtful. I think, "That guy has such poor social skills that this is the best he can muster. How pitiful."

Here's why I don't censor: We all make mistakes. I'm usually happy to update a post with more/better information. If someone calls me names or resorts to insults, that's unfortunate, but better that people see I can take some criticism and work to do better than create a false image of perfection. Building yourself up on a pedestal just attracts more attempts to knock you down.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Scottrick
I can understand why some blogs censor. No one likes to be criticized, and it's even worse when you don't know the person or have an opportunity to discuss the matter like polite adults (the Internet brings out the worst in people). I'm reminded of this comic on xkcd:

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it, but it has gotten easier. Now some of the meanest comments are actually more amusing than hurtful. I think, "That guy has such poor social skills that this is the best he can muster. How pitiful."

Here's why I don't censor: We all make mistakes. I'm usually happy to update a post with more/better information. If someone calls me names or resorts to insults, that's unfortunate, but better that people see I can take some criticism and work to do better than create a false image of perfection. Building yourself up on a pedestal just attracts more attempts to knock you down.
I appreciate your position, but I don't think anyone would fault a blogger for censoring vulgarity or inappropriate content so to make it a decent atmosphere. What I do not appreciate are the blogs (like deltapoints) who censor comments that disagree with him. I think that is poor taste as it suggests that you are not secure enough with your content to allow people to suggest opposing views or analysis. However, his blog, he can do what he wants. I give a blog like that lower credibility though because of it.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by runfit
What I do not appreciate are the blogs (like deltapoints) who censor comments that disagree with him. I think that is poor taste as it suggests that you are not secure enough with your content to allow people to suggest opposing views or analysis. However, his blog, he can do what he wants. I give a blog like that lower credibility though because of it.
100% Wrong. You are welcome to disagree with me all you want and I will post it as is and often do. I dump those that personal attack me, the blog or other readers. Oh, and my blog is PG-13 so if you disagree with colorful wording then yes I will dump that too.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:16 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by imslippy
i've had a post deleted on FTG. maybe he deemed my comments useless? I don't really remember what i wrote, but it wasn't offensive or anything. maybe it was just too boring and didn't contribute to the convo so I won't hold it against him unless others have experienced the same thing
sometimes they just get lost in the shuffle and sometimes, yes, we do censor inappropriate comments.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I proudly censor comments on MY blog!

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltapoints/aboutme/

And state it clearly for all to see. Sorry, you many not come and smoke in "my house" and expect me to put up with it!

BTW, Flyer Talk censors comments too (i.e. you can not say anything you want on FT either)!
I remember posting a comment about how a referral link wasn't the best offer, and how a publically available offer was better for the readers. It was rejected.

How one can be proud of that is beyond me, but ymmv I suppose
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader
I remember posting a comment about how a referral link wasn't the best offer, and how a publically available offer was better for the readers. It was rejected.

How one can be proud of that is beyond me, but ymmv I suppose
Does the company you work for encourage employees to point out competitors with better and/or cheaper products?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Does the company you work for encourage employees to point out competitors with better and/or cheaper products?
That is quite different from blogs. A) readers are not employees B) blogs are trying to help readers with the best information. If they are not providing the best offers, the reader does not know whether it is because he is doing it to make himself money or because he does not know about the better offer. The good blogger (and one that will retain loyalty long-term) is the one that allows such a comment and even mentions the better offer, even if he/she still offers up their own referral offer as well.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by runfit
That is quite different from blogs. A) readers are not employees B) blogs are trying to help readers with the best information. If they are not providing the best offers, the reader does not know whether it is because he is doing it to make himself money or because he does not know about the better offer. The good blogger (and one that will retain loyalty long-term) is the one that allows such a comment and even mentions the better offer, even if he/she still offers up their own referral offer as well.
Not necessarily. You can't assume anything until the bloggers who censor and those who don't reveal numbers and obviously they aren't going to.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
sometimes they just get lost in the shuffle and sometimes, yes, we do censor inappropriate comments.
I once commented that perhaps your daughter would be better off not buying a new car. (It was part of the content of the post a few years ago.) Got censored. Never understood why, as I tell anyone that will listen how bad of an investment a new car is!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:38 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hobo13
I once commented that perhaps your daughter would be better off not buying a new car. (It was part of the content of the post a few years ago.) Got censored. Never understood why, as I tell anyone that will listen how bad of an investment a new car is!
Agree, new cars are bad investment. Sorry that happened to your comment. I know in the time we have had comments, I have actually hit the wrong button a few times and deleted a comment instead of actually publishing it. not many but it happens with almost 3000 posts to date. And yes, we do delete comments on purpose when they are inappropriate. I think it is the responsibility of the blog to keep the conversation civil and helpful to all readers not just the guy that is pissed off at me and needs to vent.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 7:39 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
That's an interesting perspective.

If a points and miles blog cares more about its own revenue than about providing the best possible points and miles information, I'd say it is not a blog I would want to read.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:06 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I've never worked for such a company, but I patronize businesses that do.

It isn't about telling your customers to patronize your competitors. It's about being helpful so that they think of you first. Sometimes they'll find what they want and buy it from you. Other times you'll point them elsewhere. But they'll always think of you first because they know you know where to look.

A few blogs point you to other application links for credit cards. Maybe they won't make any affiliate income on that one, but you'll check their site anyway and maybe also click on an offer that does.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It isn't about telling your customers to patronize your competitors. It's about being helpful so that they think of you first. Sometimes they'll find what they want and buy it from you. Other times you'll point them elsewhere. But they'll always think of you first because they know you know where to look.
As illustrated in a movie!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Pretty clear that View from the Wing doesn't censor, here's a comment I read on that blog today:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...az-5th-avenue/

And by the way, looks like Flyertalk is censoring words in the quote above, they weren't censored by Gary.
Actually I'd be fine with censoring that type of stuff - not out of thin skin but because many readers are seeking websites with reasoned discussion and are turned off by useless material like that.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA

When I see personal insults or profanity in comments, to me that says more about the person who makes the comment than whoever they are commenting to. I don't get many comments (hopefully my spam blocker isn't blocking humans) but I won't censor anyone and if I don't like what they are saying I will simply thank them for taking the time to comment and move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.