Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:00 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
There is a very steep curve. I don't recommend anyone quit their day job and become a blogger because more likely than not you will be on the low end of that curve.

Last edited by Scottrick; Apr 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Ah. That sort of makes sense. The problem, of course, is that the CC companies want strict confidentiality about affiliate payout amounts as well as quotas....so I guess we will only get solid answers from disgruntled former bloggers. @:-)
While not miles and points related, one of my favorite blogs provided some insight on the scale of this while doing very little promotion of the credit cards. Seeing this, I have no problem believing ma91pmh's estimates of 6 figure income for some bloggers.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...dom-of-speech/
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by nsx
What will it take to kill credit card bonuses? Probably a major sitcom character explaining the techniques to his or her friends, then follow-up press articles demonstrating that you really can do it. Either that or a reality show called Flip This Credit Card.
They could just go away!

11 of the 19 miles and points cards in the UK do not offer any sort of referral bonus or appear on any cashback sites.

And why should they? After all, logically, almost everyone bothered enough to want an airline or hotel loyalty credit card will already be in the loyalty programme. There is a small subset of FTers outside that, but they are a real minority - and not a very profitable minority either.

And the airlines and hotels already have your email and home addresses to bombard you with promo materials! Why pay fat commissions?

The only exceptions are (US) cards such as Ink which are not aligned to a particular programme and so do not have a member database to mine.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
They could just go away!

11 of the 19 miles and points cards in the UK do not offer any sort of referral bonus or appear on any cashback sites.

And why should they? After all, logically, almost everyone bothered enough to want an airline or hotel loyalty credit card will already be in the loyalty programme. There is a small subset of FTers outside that, but they are a real minority - and not a very profitable minority either.

And the airlines and hotels already have your email and home addresses to bombard you with promo materials! Why pay fat commissions?

The only exceptions are (US) cards such as Ink which are not aligned to a particular programme and so do not have a member database to mine.
Very true, strangely enough it's only US Banks that offer money. The majority of cc's outside the States do not offer affiliate links.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by saacman5033
While not miles and points related, one of my favorite blogs provided some insight on the scale of this while doing very little promotion of the credit cards. Seeing this, I have no problem believing ma91pmh's estimates of 6 figure income for some bloggers.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...dom-of-speech/
Wow. EXACTLY what I was looking for.

A fascinating insight into the business side of blogging.

I wonder if any P&M bloggers will take such a principled stand!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

A fascinating insight into the business side of blogging.

I wonder if any P&M bloggers will take such a principled stand!
You say principled I say stupid. He could have negotiated better. There is nothing wrong with monetizing, and once you are in a position of authority you should be able to find a way to retain integrity and payments.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Given your interest I'm surprised you hadn't seen that article, koko. I don't visit blogs much but I saw that one close to when it was posted. I probably followed a link included in a comment on some other blog.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 6:00 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
You say principled I say stupid. He could have negotiated better. There is nothing wrong with monetizing, and once you are in a position of authority you should be able to find a way to retain integrity and payments.
The second they wanted to control his content in the smallest way, he decided that destroyed his integrity.

I agree.

The moment a blog changes a single thing for an affiliate, the blog goes from working for its readers to working for its affiliates.

Really, though, it seems as though just about every single P&M blog is all about the affiliate referral dough any more. Even blogs like Gary's that used to eschew that approach have gone that way.

Are there any big blogs that don't do affiliate programs and thus are not pushing them and, presumably, being influenced if not outright controlled by them?

Originally Posted by nsx
Given your interest I'm surprised you hadn't seen that article, koko. I don't visit blogs much but I saw that one close to when it was posted. I probably followed a link included in a comment on some other blog.
lol, until it's on FlyerTalk, I probably haven't seen it! ^
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: A few
Don't fall for the bs from mr moustache on integrity. While he was posting that mumbo jumbo his best travel credit card offer was an inferior Barclays us air card

He couldn't get with chase and tried to make it out like he was the hero. Yawn
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Don't fall for the bs from mr moustache on integrity. While he was posting that mumbo jumbo his best travel credit card offer was an inferior Barclays us air card

If that's the case he's obviously doing a superb job in keeping his readership grow. I am shocked to see the consistent ~300 comments for every post he publishes.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But there must be lots of folks like me who subscribe to blogs but do not use affiliate links to churn cards.
And a LOT more which read/use the blogs but which do not subscribe to the email lists. LOTS more. :-:

I would be shocked to learn that any blog is making mid-six figures on affiliates.
I think you're wrong in this view.
Originally Posted by nsx
Only the very top bloggers get the option to go full-time and quit their day jobs. Even among them I haven't heard of anyone who did it.
Off the top of my head I can name several.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:02 pm
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh

Now this is fascinating. I had always thought he dropped affiliates, and then today I went to check his page and oh look a mbna canada cashback cc link.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
I would think it's neither out of principle or stupidity that he did what he did but a smart business decision. His readership base is probably more valuable to him then the affiliate links and by posting an article like that, the readership grows and remains loyal. Had he done the opposite, he may have lost readers. This is a guy that talks about passive income and retirement . . . I really don't think he would make a stupid business decision on purpose. In reality, it's probably closer to what Milesabound said.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WeddingSpend
I would think it's neither out of principle or stupidity that he did what he did but a smart business decision. His readership base is probably more valuable to him then the affiliate links and by posting an article like that, the readership grows and remains loyal. Had he done the opposite, he may have lost readers. This is a guy that talks about passive income and retirement . . . I really don't think he would make a stupid business decision on purpose. In reality, it's probably closer to what Milesabound said.
What, that he wasn't sincere and was actually passing off a story about his morals when really he just failed to get with Chase? Possible.

I'm sticking with the point that it would be stupid to burn your affiliate links when you could have worked something out AND maintained integrity. If a person cannot find that balance then they left something on the table. It doesn't matter how informed your articles are, if you cannot balance egos and negotiations then i'm not impressed.

Of course, if it was all a crock and he actually is posting affiliate links then what does that say about integrity?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
What will it take to kill credit card bonuses? Probably a major sitcom character explaining the techniques to his or her friends, then follow-up press articles demonstrating that you really can do it. Either that or a reality show called Flip This Credit Card.
Don't know if it ever went into production, but there was talk about a Travel Hacking TV Series: A chance to be part of a travel show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.