Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
What I would find interesting would be if we started tracking if FT tips came from bloggers either directly (such as FTG) or indirectly. So, for example, the 1k points for BA for BMI membership - that was all over the blogs, so did that originate with a first tier blog? Regardless whether I prefer to read FT or blogs, I would feel that I should support a blogger via card applications if I've been using his/her tips via FT. Given how viral things are, however, finding "Blogger Zero" might be impossible?

What leaves a bad taste in my mouth are the third tier bloggers who use FT to troll. Fortunately they are the exception (I can only think of two in the past year), as by far most are respectful and contribute meaningfully to FT

Interesting thought, but so how do you do the reverse? How do you both penalize a blogger for re-using an FT-originated idea, or how do you reward FT for originating the idea?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Interesting thought, but so how do you do the reverse? How do you both penalize a blogger for re-using an FT-originated idea, or how do you reward FT for originating the idea?
I don't think we can penalize them for re-using FT originated ideas, but we can call them out when they post on FT with the sole intent of driving folks to their blogs. Politely of course. In both cases where it's been over the top, I think the bloggers got the message - one hasn't been active since getting called out. I think the other will be a bit more careful

Rewarding them - I think again we should cite them as the source if we post something from their blog. BUT, that requires a bit of due diligence to make sure that they are the source, and not the copycat - or at least a disclaimer. And, I do think this thread could be helpful by being more specific about why certain blogs are helpful. I know people are writing that they read certain blogs, but why? What actions are they taking based on the blogs? Or is it that folks enjoy the travel reports (I have my own pictures of Paris to bore folks with, and prefer TripAdvisor for a well rounded review if I need a hotel review, but thanks!)?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
# 1 Lucky's One Mile At a Time

# 2 Gleff's View from the Wing

# 3 Garrido's Loyalty Traveler

# 4 The Points Guy

# 5 Million Mile Secrets
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG+
Originally Posted by QL_714
One of the biggest misconceptions is that carrying a balance is a bad thing or that it will kill your score.
Actually it's not a misconception. Besides the utilization factor, the credit score also takes into account how many of your cards carry a balance (cards with balance divided by total cards). I got dinged with this calculation although I pay my balances off and some are really small (<$10).

Here is what Citi IdentiyMonitor says about my score:

Here are the top factors that lower your score:

You owe debt on x% of your revolving accounts.

This lowers your score.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by seekingsun
Here is what Citi IdentiyMonitor says about my score:
Please don’t take this personally but if you are going to use Citi IM as a source you have a lot to learn.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG+
Originally Posted by QL_714
Please don’t take this personally but if you are going to use Citi IM as a source you have a lot to learn.
Which data is that based on?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Some of the disclosures are a joke. I called out one financial blogger who kept pushing credit card offers about not disclosing and he referred me to a disclosure page for his website that he says covers all his posts. Lame..
Sounds like My Money Blog
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:24 pm

Also another thing I have to add- I really like Gary (VFTW)'s non-points related stuff- he also talks about a lot of other things pertinent to travel like government legislation and airline industry news which does a lot more than just pimping credit cards.

Matthew (MatthewLAX) and Ben's (lucky9876coins) blogs are still my top two favourite because of the travel based nature of the stories, and they don't aggressively pimp out credit cards or aim to deceive others to get referral bonuses.

On the other side of the scale we have a couple of Guys as well as a person who thinks all the deals are his...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Also another thing I have to add- I really like Gary (VFTW)'s non-points related stuff- he also talks about a lot of other things pertinent to travel like government legislation and airline industry news which does a lot more than just pimping credit cards.

Matthew (MatthewLAX) and Ben's (lucky9876coins) blogs are still my top two favourite because of the travel based nature of the stories, and they don't aggressively pimp out credit cards or aim to deceive others to get referral bonuses.

On the other side of the scale we have a couple of Guys as well as a person who thinks all the deals are his...
And a shoutout to Wandering Aramean's blog (FT: sbm12) as well ... for someone interested in travel that's more than just miles/points, it's a great blog, and his travel tools are really helpful.

I agree with the rest of those blogs as well. MatthewLAX's blog doesn't post as much as the others', but I like that he tends to be quality over quantity.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:47 pm

It was pretty funny today to see 4 blog posts in a row on boarding area reporting the reduced spend requirement for Sapphire Preferred. Almost felt like passing by vendors on a tourist beach in Mexico. Hey buddy, you need a Sapphire Preferred? I got some reduced spend for you...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
And a shoutout to Wandering Aramean's blog (FT: sbm12) as well ... for someone interested in travel that's more than just miles/points, it's a great blog, and his travel tools are really helpful.

I agree with the rest of those blogs as well. MatthewLAX's blog doesn't post as much as the others', but I like that he tends to be quality over quantity.
Of course, I like the Wandering Aramean as well. Don't know how I forgot him...

Quality over quantity is the way to go- really don't post stuff that no-one cares about. The sort of posts that really annoy me are the ones where everyone is treated like an idiot and there are screenshots of where to click on a freaking website to get the deal... You already told them the deal and which site to find it on, if they can't figure out where to go from there without screenshot help, they really don't deserve the deal.

Or maybe I've been spending too much time in trick it...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Of course, I like the Wandering Aramean as well. Don't know how I forgot him...

Quality over quantity is the way to go- really don't post stuff that no-one cares about. The sort of posts that really annoy me are the ones where everyone is treated like an idiot and there are screenshots of where to click on a freaking website to get the deal... You already told them the deal and which site to find it on, if they can't figure out where to go from there without screenshot help, they really don't deserve the deal.

Or maybe I've been spending too much time in trick it...
but but but who doesnt like the arrows?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:44 am

Yes, surely the masses didn't know that clicking the option titled "Book a flight" will lead you to the flight booking page!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by HikerT
It was pretty funny today to see 4 blog posts in a row on boarding area reporting the reduced spend requirement for Sapphire Preferred. Almost felt like passing by vendors on a tourist beach in Mexico. Hey buddy, you need a Sapphire Preferred? I got some reduced spend for you...
Especially after some (though not all) blogs were urging people to sign up now over the weekend! View From the WIng is one.

Last edited by 84fiero; Aug 21, 2012 at 5:29 am
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:35 am

Its amazing how more than half of bloggers on boardingarea are noobs but act like pros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.