Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 9:44 pm

Not sure what qualifies someone as a "featured" blogger on BoardingArea but clearly something is wrong with their criteria when Frequent Miler is *still* not "featured". WT?!?!?!? Why do they not allow his posts to bubble to the top with the 16 "featured" bloggers (10 of which I would say are dribble). Heck, to be fair to all their bloggers, BoradingArea should scrap the "featured" rule all together and just make every blog post bubble to the top.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by evq
a lot of people hate the bloggers b/c it is their fault that a lot of mileage programs get devalued (like avios). these bloggers get paid fat commissions by credit card companies to signup new customers so they push offers in every post.

people who pump and dump credit card offers create frequent-flyer-mile "inflation" which destroys the sustainability of mileage programs for those who actually earn miles by flying with their butt in the seat.
Are you kidding? It's the banks/credit card companies that are taking advantage of and exploiting the bloggers.

As for the pump and dump types (on Flyertalk, Dans Deals, Fat Wallet etc), this has been going on for years.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by HikerT
Not sure what qualifies someone as a "featured" blogger on BoardingArea but clearly something is wrong with their criteria when Frequent Miler is *still* not "featured". WT?!?!?!? Why do they not allow his posts to bubble to the top with the 16 "featured" bloggers (10 of which I would say are dribble). Heck, to be fair to all their bloggers, BoradingArea should scrap the "featured" rule all together and just make every blog post bubble to the top.
+1

FM has been above the grade in my opinion.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:27 am

these bloggers remind me of the book 'the game' by neil strauss but in the form of picking up miles, making it public, coming up with new tricks, etc.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FrequentMiler is definitely the darling of the moment. And for good reason. Let's hope he keeps his focus.

I liked TPG a lot when he hit the scene. Then he degenerated - especially once he quick his day job. I think the temptation to post outweighed the quality of the information.

I liked MMSecrets a lot when he debuted. But now that he's got the profiles of other bloggers and lots of plugs for ccs ("Emily and I are SO appreciative . . .") I've lost interest.

My overview is, these guys have great ideas, and they're eager. But once they get a taste of those cc referral dollars, the blog devolves.

FrequentMiler - stay strong! I, for one, will do my best to direct applications through your site, as long as you continue to post only quality info.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:46 am

Frequent Miler should go solo with is own blogsite.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by webazoid
Frequent Miler should go solo with is own blogsite.
I fully agree. Frankly, I never understand why any of these guys join Boarding Area. AFAIK, they don't get paid by BA, but BA places ads on their pages.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:15 am

I prefer the points guy as well
Old May 4, 2012, 11:25 am

My understanding is the bloggers do get paid by BoardingArea but the "featured" bloggers get more of the ad revenue in addition to top billing with the exclusive bubble up. That doesn't seem right when you have at most a half dozen of these so called "featured" bloggers pulling their weight. The rest of the "featured" bloggers are upstaged regularly by many of the "non-featured" bloggers, in particular FM posting unique content and picking up the slack. For lesser known blogs the BoardingArea exposure is probably invaluable, but no doubt, a select few like FM could easily go on their own.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is the bloggers do get paid by BoardingArea but the "featured" bloggers get more of the ad revenue in addition to top billing with the exclusive bubble up. That doesn't seem right when you have at most a half dozen of these so called "featured" bloggers pulling their weight. The rest of the "featured" bloggers are upstaged regularly by many of the "non-featured" bloggers, in particular FM posting unique content and picking up the slack. For lesser known blogs the BoardingArea exposure is probably invaluable, but no doubt, a select few like FM could easily go on their own.
OK - I didn't realize that.

I was pretty surprised when Mommy Points joined - I thought she had a pretty nice following on her own. But I didn't realize there was a financial incentive to do so at the time.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:58 am

I'm not sure how much of an incentive though as far as sharing ad revenue. I'd think the reasons to join are (1) exposure and (2) automatic approval to offer affiliate links (which isn't as easy to get if rolling your own). I suspect most of a blogger's revenue comes from referral income so (1) and (2) would seem to be a no brainer, but even if you already have (2), more of (1) will still help unless BoardingArea takes a cut of every referral.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Completely agree. I was just thinking this last night, and wondering who I could write to to request that he be bumped to the top. Half of those featured bloggers I don't even glance at. MP (no offense because I do love her blog) has been a featured blogger as long as I can remember, but I'm not sure what qualifies her as such and not FM.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by blase
I was just thinking this last night, and wondering who I could write to to request that he be bumped to the top.
Start here, or you could contact Randy Petersen.
Old May 4, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Moy
I would have agreed with this post until today. Today's blog post was classic spoonfeeding of the very best way to take advantage of today's Discover America package:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealsw...hwest-flights/

At least we can take solice in the fact that the blogger was shut out of purchasing any packages himself. Serves him right!!!!!!!
LMAO at comment #5!

Her writing style has changed, what a shame! I suspect there is a private forum for all the Boarding Area bloggers and this one has been getting coaching from the "mommy" who IMO is the most obsequious writer and worst one for blabbing about the "creative" ways we use miles and points.
Old May 4, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I have noticed there appears to be a clique where they all link each other's posts "tip of the hat to-". Ridiculous way to increase their content! I do agree with the above, Wandering Aramean does seem to be a cut above the rest. I took a peek at Frequent Miler, he also seems to be decent so far, hope he doesn't get corrupted like all the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.