Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Saw a popular blogger post pics showing no VRs at CVS and then showing a pic with VRs hid behind some other cards. Of course keeping the stash for self.I tried that today in PA, no luck. Maybe the Philadelphians just clean them out...no hiding for them !
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:38 pm

Did anyone else notice in the comments of TPG's post on Phantom Award Space, Seth from Wandering Aramean took a swing at TPG

"Bullying the agent may work from time to time but it is most certainly not guaranteed...And, of course, excellent job adding extra referral links which don't actually improve the information for readers or the value of the story."

Did I miss something or is this feud new?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:09 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by ddallas
From MP:
"In case you are super curious, I was not compensated for running this contest and the Club Carlson credit card is not one of my affiliate links. I just think the card rocks and these prizes are great."

From FM:
"Disclosure: At the time that I agreed to host this contest I was not aware of any compensation that I would receive. Since then, though, I learned that I would receive two free nights at any Radisson property in North America. This has not affected my decision to host this give away, but it is a nice bonus!"

Perhaps it is not clear in the promo materials that the blogger gets two free nights.
For what it was worth (again, for those who seem to be curious), my situation was similar to what was described above. There was no mention of anything for the blogger when I agree to the contest....which is totally fine with me. It was a great giveaway and I was happy to be a part of it.

I ran the contest and then while wrapping up final details when it was over they asked for my address to mail the two free night certificates. I asked for clarification as I had no clue what they were talking about. Turns out they forgot to mention it at the beginning. I asked if I could give them away to readers and was told they were non-transferable. I then politely declined the free nights.

I didn't ever post that I declined free nights that I was offered after the fact as I don't think that is overly relevant, but there is the story since it does seem relevant on this thread.

My bet is that those who didn't mention it didn't know about it. Whether or not they accepted it after the fact I have no clue, but I know I didn't.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA GS
I wonder whether satz will formally apologize now? A couple of others arguably should as well?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
Not new at all, though I wouldn't call it a feud when others point out similar things.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
The most useful blogs are those written for the reader rather than about the blogger.
Did anyone else notice in the comments of TPG's post on Phantom Award Space, Seth from Wandering Aramean took a swing at TPG

"Bullying the agent may work from time to time but it is most certainly not guaranteed...And, of course, excellent job adding extra referral links which don't actually improve the information for readers or the value of the story."

Wouldn't call it a feud, just stating the obvious in pointing out flaws with TPG's "content".
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: Too many to list

Doesn't take captain Obvious to see it.
Oh no, did I just break the rule?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Wouldn't call it a feud, just stating the obvious in pointing out flaws with TPG's "content".
Agreed, and to me that Thepointsguy.com post wasn't at all useful IMHO and seemed to be just a long-winded excuse to include some CC links. I mean, "complain and demand UA give you the space" was the gist of the multi-paragraph advice - advice that's not likely to be very successful and certainly nothing to depend upon to resolve the matter.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:15 pm

And of course, we all know the solution to purchasing a round trip but only using the outbound is to apply for a few Chase cards
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
And of course, we all know the solution to purchasing a round trip but only using the outbound is to apply for a few Chase cards
... and travel in luxury.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Nicely done Mommy Points!

I really see no issue doing a contest and disclosing the free nights up front. CC not mentioning it and then making them non transferable appears like a blatant attempt to buy a blogger and you were right to refuse to go along. Kudos then.

Oh crap...Is this okay to say so or did I just violate something?...I am so confused

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
For what it was worth (again, for those who seem to be curious), my situation was similar to what was described above. There was no mention of anything for the blogger when I agree to the contest....which is totally fine with me. It was a great giveaway and I was happy to be a part of it.

I ran the contest and then while wrapping up final details when it was over they asked for my address to mail the two free night certificates. I asked for clarification as I had no clue what they were talking about. Turns out they forgot to mention it at the beginning. I asked if I could give them away to readers and was told they were non-transferable. I then politely declined the free nights.

I didn't ever post that I declined free nights that I was offered after the fact as I don't think that is overly relevant, but there is the story since it does seem relevant on this thread.

My bet is that those who didn't mention it didn't know about it. Whether or not they accepted it after the fact I have no clue, but I know I didn't.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
... and travel in luxury.
But completely irrelevant to the question being asked, and whose sole purpose is to generate affiliate revenue. This is equivalent to a cooking blog being asked a question on the best way to cook chicken, but ends up talking about caviar instead - eat in luxury too.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Don't think angelina is paying mv. I recall a tweet a few months ago but I can't seem to find it.
If MileValue has no banner ads and exports all credit card referrals to another blogger who can provide credit card links.. is the basis of the blog to obtain customers for the award booking service?

If so, what with the transition into credit card related content? Something seems off to me. The story about losing a bet and having to put up links for another blog for an undetermined amount of time seems rather sketch. I think someone pointed out at the possibility that the blogger was not able to obtain referral links on their own, but should this not warrant some sort of disclosure to the reader? I have a hard time believing in one way or another the blogger is not getting compensated by the other blogger for the links.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
If MileValue has no banner ads and exports all credit card referrals to another blogger who can provide credit card links.. is the basis of the blog to obtain customers for the award booking service?

If so, what with the transition into credit card related content? Something seems off to me. The story about losing a bet and having to put up links for another blog for an undetermined amount of time seems rather sketch. I think someone pointed out at the possibility that the blogger was not able to obtain referral links on their own, but should this not warrant some sort of disclosure to the reader? I have a hard time believing in one way or another the blogger is not getting compensated by the other blogger for the links.
+1...I think it's clear that MV is trying to build enough of a base to get his own (real) affiliate links so he can stop pushing the Frontier card (please?), but the current arrangement is just weird.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

We can all take a stab at what's happening, but then until there's actual evidence, it's all random jumble.
And MV does have a lot of Award booking clients... but then not all bloggers blog to make money. He is using credit karma, but for now he redirects to Angelina's site because he can't get chase links.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.