Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Go back few pages and see why "flying in first and staying in hostel" was brought up and then tell me where would you rather stay (provided you had funds or points) while traveling thru smelly Kolkata or mosquito infested Saigon - JP Marriot or $5 "oh so social" hostel.
Assuming unlimited funds none of this matters. But I live in the real world. :-:

Originally Posted by fresar
a list of the Commission Rates the bloggers get
This list is not 100% accurate based on my knowledge/experiences; the numbers I've seen from some of the affiliate managers are lower than these. Not enough lower to skew the discussion significantly, but lower.

If you're willing to work at the shilling it isn't hard to clear 6 figures annually. There is a lot of money out there to be had.

Last edited by sbm12; Feb 26, 2013 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Uber-Pleased to be listed in the same breath with Rick and Brian! ^

Considering Rick's blog was purchased by FT and Brian is, well Brian!
It's wonderful you think that way.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
Ok, maybe a couple of blogs would be willing to push Spirit. Their award chart starts at a very low price, and availability is supposedly good on some routes. HAHAHAHAHA
One already does from time to time. :-:

Originally Posted by Tiki
I managed to get banned from Adsense a couple weeks ago. I have mixed feelings about that. I was getting no clicks at all (anyone with half a brain has ....... Plus on their browser) so I asked my personal Facebook friends to click my ads. I guess they were too generous with their clicks because I got an email from Adsense saying my account was cancelled and I can't even talk to anyone about it. I got a form email after I attempted to appeal.
It's kind of a moot point because if they don't like my friends clicking my ads then there is no point in having the ads.
There is a difference between not liking your friends clicking on ads and click-fraud. I don't blame them for banning you for that behavior.
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
The problem is that affiliate income has a tendency to make blogs worse (or, in the context of this discussion, 'less useful'). That may not be the rule, but it's certainly a trend among many blogs that when the affiliate income arrives, the useful/good content starts getting pushed to the sidelines to throw in more CC links.
Yup. A lot. They all deny it, but an outsider looking in sees it bright and clear. So many posts justifying bad deals and bad ideas, just to get the CC links out there. But it pays well so they keep doing it.

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Repeated content is an antiquated concept. The entire blog from inception is always available to newcomers, not like a newspaper or magazine that gets thrown away.
Yes and no. The vast majority of traffic still comes from search engine links. And old posts don't have the same SEO credibility unless they're very, very well linked. Rehashing the same data again bumps the new page back up in the rankings. Basically there is a battle between writing really good content and just writing a lot of content. Either works; one is - sadly - a lot easier than the other.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Platinum Sky Pimp
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes and no. The vast majority of traffic still comes from search engine links. And old posts don't have the same SEO credibility unless they're very, very well linked. Rehashing the same data again bumps the new page back up in the rankings. Basically there is a battle between writing really good content and just writing a lot of content. Either works; one is - sadly - a lot easier than the other.
Yep, and thats why complete garbage, yet key word rich with great backlinks, gets on page one of google results. Look at TPG backlinks! Other than that his 4 post a day blog is nothing but a doorway dump.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
LOL. I've been waiting for a "Hilton Points are still great" post that explains the wonderful places you can stay if you get all the Hilton points related cards on one app-o-rama (Citi HH and Reserve, AMEX HH, Virgin Atlantic transfer, and BOA x2 transfer) But be sure to get them all!
Well it took a few days, but it looks like MommyPoints has delivered:

“Bright Spots in the Hilton HHonors Devaluation”

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...s-devaluation/
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyFasterFlyFarther
How about this. We can subjectively disagree. But it's a start.

1. One Mile at a Time
2. View from the Wing
3. Frequent Miler
4. Million Mile Secrets
5. Live and Let's Fly
6. Loyalty Lobby
7. Wandering Aramean
8. TravelBloggerBuzz
9. Heels First Travel
10. Dan's Deals

Other up-and-comers: The Miles Professor, Head for Points

Not so best of
1. Frugal Travel Guy
2. The Points Guy
3. MileValue
4. Noob Traveler
5. Miles Momma
Back on topic, I would add Travelisfree to the top 10 (Its in my top 3). Much more useful and easier to look at than Dan's Deals. Its easy to read and very insightful.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
The number of bloggers out there is mind blowing. I am amazed that MMS can still find "bloggers" to interview every Friday...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Jesperss

Lets attribute this to "Positive attitude".
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Lets attribute this to "Positive attitude".
Now that some of these hotels require less points, does that make the Citi Hilton Reserve card less valuable?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:15 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by Jesperss

Yeah, I had readers asking for me to share info about properties that were going down in points requirements, so I did. I am not at all thrilled about the devaluation since I primarily wanted to use my HHonors points at properties that are shooting up in points price, but there are some brights spots to popular family destinations, so I shared them.

Imagine the horror of a miles and points blogger pointing out some popular destinations that now require fewer points. Come on, guys.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>The number of bloggers out there is mind blowing.

Yeah, tell me about it

The answer is here: "If you're willing to work at the shilling it isn't hard to clear 6 figures annually. There is a lot of money out there to be had." by sbm12 Post #1546

So expect more. And the vast majority have nothing to offer but being a "strong advocate" for the ^(*%$# banks me and you bailed out.

The whole community started going downhill ever since...Money changes people...You can pretty much tell who you want next to you in a fire:-)

Last edited by gpapadop; Feb 26, 2013 at 2:40 pm Reason: edited a bad word:-)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
Yeah, I had readers asking for me to share info about properties that were going down in points requirements, so I did. I am not at all thrilled about the devaluation since I primarily wanted to use my HHonors points at properties that are shooting up in points price, but there are some brights spots to popular family destinations, so I shared them.

Imagine the horror of a miles and points blogger pointing out some popular destinations that now require fewer points. Come on, guys.
The problem is that sticking in affiliate links makes it hard to believe that you are not fishing for more people applying through your affiliate links.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ok, I apologize, strong word indeed. I will edit it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 2:47 pm

There are so many bloggers MMS will not have any problem at all finding ones to interview at all. I have a long standing offer to be interviewed there myself. I just need to get my own affiliate links in order before showtime.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
One already does from time to time. :-:
You're right, I recall seeing some blog hawking it - can't recall which one. One day, when I've applied for every non-churnable CC I can, maybe I'll apply for the Spirit card ...nah, not even then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.