Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Park Hyatt in Name Only

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

136 E Thomas Pl Beaver Creek, CO US 81620

Park Hyatt in Name Only (0 Photo)

The headline from my stay is that this property is a Park Hyatt in name only. Hyatt's corporate page describes the Park Hyatt Brand as offering "refined residential-inspired luxury experiences in top-tier cultural destinations. Guests enjoy highly personalized and engaged service, renowned art and design and exceptional food and wine." I've had the pleasure to stay at many of these properties over the years in New York, Chicago, Paris, Dubai, Tokyo, Seoul, and Washington, D.C. and uniformly loved my experiences at each. With some notable exceptions (which I will detail below), the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek just simply does not live up to this brand promise and its peer properties around the world.

First, let me note that this property's team has been dealt a losing hand. I'm aware the property was originally constructed as a Hyatt Regency, and this shows. Tacky stucco ceilings in guest rooms, small rooms, combination bath/showers with plastic curtains, thin walls through which noise travels easily, and a focus on event space are not changeable now; however, the aesthetics are nothing like the understated luxury and clean lines one usually expects from a Park Hyatt. 

What the team can control, however, is the soft product and service. Here, too, our stay did not quite hit the mark. First, the positives. Josh at the front desk was helpful, kind, competent, and personable. The ski valet staff were uniformly efficient and friendly. Steve at the Bell Desk went above and beyond to arrange courtesy transport for us on our final full day at the property, and Herb, the GM was responsive to requests providing a personal touch which was deeply appreciated. 

Unfortunately, negative interactions with staff outweighed the positives highlighted above. Overall, staff did not seem to be problem solvers and frequent answers to questions were "have you spoken to x? i can't do that." One example encapsulates this quite clearly: I spent over 30 min trying to reach the bell desk by phone to see if courtesy transport was available from another location in the village. They were unable to pick up the phone so I called concierge and explained what I was looking for. They said "I can't help you with that. please speak to the bell desk." The front desk never picked up the phone either. Ultimately, we had to call the 8100 Mountain Grill restaurant and ask them to literally walk the phone over to the bell staff to communicate a request and in parallel asked the GM of the property to help out. And while the GM responded promptly and helped, I felt I really shouldn't have had to ask around to that many associates and escalate to the top tier of on-site management to even get a response.

My other major issue was the lack of quiet, peaceful spaces on property. I think its wonderful the resort is family-friendly, but children dominate this place to the extent that it feels like one is in Orlando at Disneyworld. Examples include children unsupervised running up and down the hall at 6:45AM despite the clearly posted placards indicating quiet hours and unsupervised children jumping off the large rocks behind Jacuzzi #3 cannonballing into the waters which is both dangerous and adversely affects the experience of everyone else there. I would recommend the team find ways to create more adult-only spaces so folks who are not traveling with multiple small children can enjoy the property to its fullest. 

Finally, our stay also included multiple small service lapses and missing features that just aren't characteristic of a Park Hyatt. Examples here include lack of Le Labo amenities which are a brand standard, housekeeping staff not removing trash from the room with each cleaning, housekeeping staff forgetting to replace a 2nd bathrobe in the room on more than 1 day, and the lack of the Hyatt Chromecast feature that seems ubiquitous at almost all properties. None of these things are a big deal in isolation, but they just contributed to an overall feeling that this hotel is not at parity with its brand peers. 

I did my due diligence in advance and read detailed reviews of the property so I wasn't expecting the absolute best Hyatt has to offer, but I think the hotel would likely do well to consider either removing the Park Hyatt brand from this resort or planning a major renovation to bring it up to the high standard set by the Park Hyatt name around the world. Unfortunately, I plan to look elsewhere for my next mountain vacation.

Room

Below average outdated ant not in line with PH brand standards

Best part of resort. Truly ski in ski out

Park Hyatt in Name Only

Would you like to write a review on the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.