Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlist Lottery

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Show me the points!
Waitlist Lottery

Currently on waitlist for TPE-LAX on 29/1 and there are 5 seats for sale in J. Is there a rhyme or reason to when or if the upgrade will clear or could it come down to me begging at the gate?
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nichojo
Currently on waitlist for TPE-LAX on 29/1 and there are 5 seats for sale in J. Is there a rhyme or reason to when or if the upgrade will clear or could it come down to me begging at the gate?
By definition, waitlist is a list and it is not a lottery.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
By definition, waitlist is a list and it is not a lottery.
The title was tongue in cheek. Thanks for the 0 value reply.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The title was tongue in cheek. Thanks for the 0 value reply.
I am sorry you failed to understand the concept of a list. By definition, it is not random and you begging at the gate won't help. There is an order and the list is cleared based on that order - usually it is a function of status, time and fare paid. As to when how many seats are released into what fare bucket, it is based on their expectation of the sales.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
I am sorry you failed to understand the concept of a list. By definition, it is not random and you begging at the gate won't help. There is an order and the list is cleared based on that order - usually it is a function of status, time and fare paid. As to when how many seats are released into what fare bucket, it is based on their expectation of the sales.
again, no value in your reply
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry I try to help and get this kind of response. Good luck.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Help would be "EVA clears the waitlist every day up to day of flight and even sometimes happens at the gate. There's no pattern that we can find, but dont lose hope."
Not helpful is defining a word in the subject.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If you are truly looking for your chance if your upgrade can be cleared or not, then you are better suit in Y instead.

CNY is on 01/22 this year. LAX is one of the most populated metro in terms of Asian population. With the increased demand in leisure (but not business) travel, I will not be surprised if that 5 J seats are sold before that.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:27 am

1/29 is still pretty early. they likely will call you a couple days before departure if there are seats available.
Usually there isnt seats available at the airport, but if you really want to take a chance, show up at start at check in and ask again.

based on past loads though, J class is always full.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Do you have any status with BR? Since I became a Diamond member (about 5 years ago) I have never missed a requested upgrade. Sometimes they make you sweat it out until the day before the flight, but it eventually works out. This is in comparison to my time as a Gold member, where I only cleared about 75% of requested upgrades.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
If you are truly looking for your chance if your upgrade can be cleared or not, then you are better suit in Y instead.
If that was meant as an insult, it was a pretty poor one as I don’t even fully grasp what you’re saying.

Originally Posted by BuBu4
1/29 is still pretty early. they likely will call you a couple days before departure if there are seats available.
Usually there isnt seats available at the airport, but if you really want to take a chance, show up at start at check in and ask again.

based on past loads though, J class is always full.
Thanks, that is helpful.

Originally Posted by hlee628
Do you have any status with BR? Since I became a Diamond member (about 5 years ago) I have never missed a requested upgrade. Sometimes they make you sweat it out until the day before the flight, but it eventually works out. This is in comparison to my time as a Gold member, where I only cleared about 75% of requested upgrades.
Helpful as well. No status. Ironically, I am Qantas Platinum and Krisflyer Gold but BR wouldn’t match, even to silver, and even though I have requisite mileage when you look at past years travel on those combined with what I’ve already done with them.

An interesting data point: we know that EVA ML award inventory is separate than EVA ML upgrade inventory, but what is interesting is that there is an award seat on this flight in J, but the upgrade still hasn’t cleared. An outright redemption is only 15k more than the upgrade cost, so it’s quite surprising to me they would want to try to sell this before clearing their own members.

Even though I (apparently) belong in Y, I’ll keep hoping for the best!
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:44 am

Roughly, they keep most revenue J seats until the day before departure. But if it's full and you have no status with Eva and the cabin is full weeks in advance, you have very very very thin chances, they give priority to their FFers.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Upgrade cleared today, 4 days ahead of flight. Coworker on TPE-SFO cleared at same time.
Some data points for future knowledge.
1. EF loading after U/G cleared:

2. What app showed before u/g was processed:

Hope this helps someone else in the future! My return isn't looking so good with J0. Oh well!
https://imgur.com/765wrWw
https://imgur.com/765wrWw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.