Wiki Posts
Search

Any update on long haul J service?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: ua *s, kl se, asiana *g
Any update on long haul J service?

I've been given the option of swapping a QR flight for a BR one. The Eva flight is better timed and non-stop but I was looking forward to the QR service, which now seems to be back to normal and comes with the novelty of the A380 bar.

Is BR still very much in COVID mode when it comes to minimal service standard and crews in hazmat suits?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swiss Julie
I've been given the option of swapping a QR flight for a BR one. The Eva flight is better timed and non-stop but I was looking forward to the QR service, which now seems to be back to normal and comes with the novelty of the A380 bar.

Is BR still very much in COVID mode when it comes to minimal service standard and crews in hazmat suits?
Yup, still reduced service.
They’re not hazmat suits. 😂 More like some PPE.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:40 pm

Programs: EVA: Gold; Starlux: Explorer; China Airlines: Gold
Just checked with the client service team in Taipei for my upcoming TPE-JFK trip.
For meal services, shall all be back to normal in July.
For beverage, they suggest to check on their e-menu 21 days before departure.
For lounge in Taipei, only the Star is opened. Lounge in JFK is opened but the time doesn't fit to BR31. Food voucher is given to passengers whom entitled to access the lounge in JFK.

For cabin crew, I notice UNI air, Starlux are remove those cover and only left mask and gloves, trust BR shall follow as well or will be soon.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
A family member took a flight ex-TPE this weekend. Individual courses are back but the salad cart is not. Items are served covered with plastic.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by BR787
A family member took a flight ex-TPE this weekend. Individual courses are back but the salad cart is not. Items are served covered with plastic.
That sounds similar to when I last flew BR ex-TPE late May. The main course was served on a tray along with appetizer and two pieces of bread, and the appetizer seems to remain the same regardless of your main course. Then another try with fruits, cheese, and dessert. Breakfast was just in a single tray with the main course, two pieces of bread, some fruits, and yogurt/jam. Everything was covered in plastic but removed prior to being served.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Flew CGK-TPE-CDG last week.

The short-haul CGK-TPE flight had a very basic meal service, but I was impressed our A330 was one of the retrofitted ones with lie-flat 2-2-2 seating, great for a flight of this length.

I was pleased with the service and food on the long-haul TPE-CDG. I never flew EVA before the pandemic, but it seems to me most of the service has been restored. Dinner was served in individual courses, and almost everything tasted great outside of the strange foie gras/jelly appetizer which I forgot to get a picture of. Beef for the main was still pink inside as I asked them to take it out early. There were also several additional options available only as pre-orders, but none sounded appealing to me. Warm bread was offered including garlic bread.

Breakfast was served on one tray, but that's fine by me to minimize disturbing passengers that are sleeping. The Paris route has a special Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame Rose on offer instead of the regular champagne, it was delicious! The PDB dragonfruit juice was also great, and they had enough to keep pouring it throughout the flight.

After take-off we were given hard-shelled amenity kits and pajamas which were super comfortable. Overall I was very impressed by both EVAs soft and hard products, the 14-hour flight flew by.

Steak - cooked perfectly.

Desserts and cheese.

Breakfast - frittata. Just ok.

Bonus: CGK-TPE meal. Braised chicken. Just ok.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
Flew CGK-TPE-CDG last week.

The short-haul CGK-TPE flight had a very basic meal service, but I was impressed our A330 was one of the retrofitted ones with lie-flat 2-2-2 seating, great for a flight of this length.

I was pleased with the service and food on the long-haul TPE-CDG. I never flew EVA before the pandemic, but it seems to me most of the service has been restored. Dinner was served in individual courses, and almost everything tasted great outside of the strange foie gras/jelly appetizer which I forgot to get a picture of. Beef for the main was still pink inside as I asked them to take it out early. There were also several additional options available only as pre-orders, but none sounded appealing to me. Warm bread was offered including garlic bread.

Breakfast was served on one tray, but that's fine by me to minimize disturbing passengers that are sleeping. The Paris route has a special Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame Rose on offer instead of the regular champagne, it was delicious! The PDB dragonfruit juice was also great, and they had enough to keep pouring it throughout the flight.

After take-off we were given hard-shelled amenity kits and pajamas which were super comfortable. Overall I was very impressed by both EVAs soft and hard products, the 14-hour flight flew by.

Steak - cooked perfectly.

Desserts and cheese.

Breakfast - frittata. Just ok.

Bonus: CGK-TPE meal. Braised chicken. Just ok.
Didn’t know BR let’s you customize how well “cooked” your steak is. Nice!

I haven’t flown TPE-CGK with BR for ages, but I believe the A330 they use have been all lie-flat since they retired the 744 combis.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: ua *s, kl se, asiana *g
Just realised I should have responded to this.

Cabin Crew serving Y seemed to be more "gowned up" than those working at the front.

Food was very good with multiple rounds of service for dinner although all served with plastic or foil lids on, which takes the J class edge a bit. By the end of the flight I probably could have opened a profitable e-bay store reselling all the hygiene stuff as every few hours we were given more cleaning wipes.

All told, I was very impressed with my first trip on BR. A couple of things didn't quite go as well as they could (LHR security shunting around 50 passengers into the fast track queue just before I got there and a bit of snagging about lounge access) and i'm still not sold on the colour scheme in the cabin, but I'm happy to overlook that.
bledfeet likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Are they still insisting on wearing a mask on board the flight?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
That's the regulation of the Civil Aviation Administration. Mask must be worn unless actively eating or drinking.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Not so. I had flew AMS-TPE-SEA in business and masks were not enforced (only when boarding and leaving aircraft).

Service on all flights was excellent.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I flew SEA-TPE-BKK in business class in mid-October 2022. Masks were enforced when boarding. After that I’m honestly not sure whether they were enforced or not as compliance was high enough that I can’t consider “enforcement” as having been meaningfully tested.

Service was as I remember pre-covid. For example meals are plated (not pre-composed trays), the same meals were offered at the same times as before, and I was able to defer one of my meals for several hours after which it was cheerfully served in its entirety.

The lounge in TPE is also running just as I remember it.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I have a flight coming up in a couple of weeks' time LHR - BKK I was looking at the on-board beverage list having chosen my meal and it indicated that both Veuve Clicquot Grande Dame and Rose would be available on the flight is that correct? I know they have been serving the regular Grande Dame for years, but the Rose as well would be a first for me on a flight out of LHR let alone both, serious step up if it is the case, just hope it's not an error and I'm setting myself up for disappointment lol.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by shoven
I have a flight coming up in a couple of weeks' time LHR - BKK I was looking at the on-board beverage list having chosen my meal and it indicated that both Veuve Clicquot Grande Dame and Rose would be available on the flight is that correct? I know they have been serving the regular Grande Dame for years, but the Rose as well would be a first for me on a flight out of LHR let alone both, serious step up if it is the case, just hope it's not an error and I'm setting myself up for disappointment lol.
I believe rose is only available on TPE-CDG and TPE-JFK.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I have read that before it just surprised me to see it on the beverage menu when I looked on the app for my up-coming flight perhaps that particular menu is just generic across all their long-haul flights online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.