Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to SFO with EVA soon!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb Flying to SFO with EVA soon!

Anyone flown between TPE and the United States during the pandemic? I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of lots of things. When I heard that TPE was reopening for transit, I decided to choose it. As a nervous flyer the idea of a stopover in Taipei to help break up the long trip a little from Singapore to the U.S seems like a good option.

I'm wondering things like:
1) How many meals are served on the TPE -> SFO flight post COVID?

2) What is the the transit area like (for anyone who has been there this week)?

3) Are flight attendants keeping their distance with a minimum of interaction with passengers? I usually always let flight attendants know when I board that I'm a nervous flyer.

4) I'm looking at the flight seating map and see that most seats are still available. Are a lot of seats available because there really isn't that many people traveling or is it because nobody has paid to book their flights in advance? I'm guess it's because the flight is mostly empty, which for me is a blessing, because it may be easier to lay down to try to sleep. Even though I've never been able to sleep on an airplane in my life. I'm in economy, and hoping that if I can lay down across a row that I may be able to get a couple hours.

5) I wonder about the routing of this flight? Looking at FlightAware and FlightRadar, it looks as though the route on most days doesn't go to close to Alaska. As a nervous flyer, I often always feel better flying closer to land. But someone on these forums told me that FlightAware and FlightRadar are often times an estimate and may not be the exact route flight. Just wondering in general for TPE -> SFO if the route goes closer to Alaska than it looks on the tracking sites?

Sorry lots of questions. I was trying to jot down anything I can think of to better prepare for the very long trip (25 hours with a connection at SFO) -- Economy all the way. Appreciate it

Last edited by FlyingSloth; Jun 30, 2020 at 4:53 am
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Anyone flown between TPE and the United States during the pandemic? I'm just wondering what to expect in terms of lots of things. When I heard that TPE was reopening for transit, I decided to choose it. As a nervous flyer the idea of a stopover in Taipei to help break up the long trip a little from Singapore to the U.S seems like a good option.

I'm wondering things like:
1) How many meals are served on the TPE -> SFO flight post COVID?

2) What is the the transit area like (for anyone who has been there this week)?

3) Are flight attendants keeping their distance with a minimum of interaction with passengers? I usually always let flight attendants know when I board that I'm a nervous flyer.

4) I'm looking at the flight seating map and see that most seats are still available. Are a lot of seats available because there really isn't that many people traveling or is it because nobody has paid to book their flights in advance? I'm guess it's because the flight is mostly empty, which for me is a blessing, because it may be easier to lay down to try to sleep. Even though I've never been able to sleep on an airplane in my life. I'm in economy, and hoping that if I can lay down across a row that I may be able to get a couple hours.

5) I wonder about the routing of this flight? Looking at FlightAware and FlightRadar, it looks as though the route on most days doesn't go to close to Alaska. As a nervous flyer, I often always feel better flying closer to land. But someone on these forums told me that FlightAware and FlightRadar are often times an estimate and may not be the exact route flight. Just wondering in general for TPE -> SFO if the route goes closer to Alaska than it looks on the tracking sites?

Sorry lots of questions. I was trying to jot down anything I can think of to better prepare for the very long trip (25 hours with a connection at SFO) -- Economy all the way. Appreciate it
1. Still two meals for the long-haul and one for the SIN-TPE. SIN-TPE will be a cold snack bag and TPE-SFO should be two hot (unless that has changed in the last month).
2. It's reportedly just one of the gate holding rooms that is at the airport. With the near nonexistent traffic, I assume it is C5R/D5R, the remote apron boarding area. Subject to change as they adapt the process to make it better.
3. FA's are all wearing goggles, masks, and medical gowns. Interaction is near-zero, just closing of the bins, passing out/clearing meals (only water provided, no beverages), and safety checks. If you need anything, press the call button.
4. Plenty of seats available TPE-SFO. No one is going to the USA right now.
5. Routing will depend on the winds-aloft the day-of the flight, the jet stream, and the availability of the tracks. You won't be able to control the routing. Route on tracking is pretty accurate. Only 3/5 eastbound tracks over the Pacific go over the Aleutian Islands, and the other two stray far away. It'll all be weather dependent.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
1. Still two meals for the long-haul and one for the SIN-TPE. SIN-TPE will be a cold snack bag and TPE-SFO should be two hot (unless that has changed in the last month).
2. It's reportedly just one of the gate holding rooms that is at the airport. With the near nonexistent traffic, I assume it is C5R/D5R, the remote apron boarding area. Subject to change as they adapt the process to make it better.
3. FA's are all wearing goggles, masks, and medical gowns. Interaction is near-zero, just closing of the bins, passing out/clearing meals (only water provided, no beverages), and safety checks. If you need anything, press the call button.
4. Plenty of seats available TPE-SFO. No one is going to the USA right now.
5. Routing will depend on the winds-aloft the day-of the flight, the jet stream, and the availability of the tracks. You won't be able to control the routing. Route on tracking is pretty accurate. Only 3/5 eastbound tracks over the Pacific go over the Aleutian Islands, and the other two stray far away. It'll all be weather dependent.
Thank you this is such a great reply and gives me some idea what to expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.