Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Eva Really a 5 star airline

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:17 am

Month ago (long haul, J) food was not good at all. 2nd meal was way too hot. This reminded me another time food wasn't good either. To be fair I'm comparing to japanese airlines. Considering china airlines (taiwanese airline) from taiwan next time. Seats were worn, plane was old.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I love flying on BR; have flown in Business (RL and Premium Laurel) and Premium Economy. I love the pre-ordering ability, the lemon candy at the end, and the Hello Kitty flights. The newer planes, clean interiors, and pleasant FAs are also major pluses.

I don't like the IFE GUI as much, and the movie selection isn't as extensive as other airlines, but those are lower on my must-haves.

I will fly my first segments in Y in a few weeks. Hoping it won't be too bad, and that the 2 seats at the back of Y will free up at the airport check-in.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
In my experience with BR their long hauls are much better than the short hauls. Their PE is one of the best I think. Certainly a lot better than CX or AC in my experience.
But as every airline it depends on the crew if you have a great service or ordinary service..
Definitely....I did have a case where they forgot to load the preorder meal in J and the FA (who was supposed to ensure all the preordered meals were loaded before departure) tried to blame it on me. I think out of all these years of flying BR, this was the only service anomaly I had.

For Premium Economy, I think BR is the 2nd airline in the world to offer it (after Virgin Atlantic). It has been doing it since 1992. So, it has a lot of experience.

The 77W layout is not so great. I think seat comfort has actually gone done since the 744 days and price differential has gone up. Still, it is a competitive product.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by username
Definitely....I did have a case where they forgot to load the preorder meal in J and the FA (who was supposed to ensure all the preordered meals were loaded before departure) tried to blame it on me. I think out of all these years of flying BR, this was the only service anomaly I had.

For Premium Economy, I think BR is the 2nd airline in the world to offer it (after Virgin Atlantic). It has been doing it since 1992. So, it has a lot of experience.

The 77W layout is not so great. I think seat comfort has actually gone done since the 744 days and price differential has gone up. Still, it is a competitive product.
I flew AC PE this month and compared to BR it was not so good. I have not flown Virgin Atlantic for a very long time as the destinations I fly are not offered by them. I felt that the PE cabin and seating was better than any PE that I have flown.
Yes they do mess it up occasionally and as another OP has said the IFE is bad compared to the top airlines. The short hauls on the 777 are also nothing to talk about. It's interesting that they have the same 777 aircraft for short hauls but don't offer PE on those sectors. I simply don't like their boarding procedure but I guess they know their customers a lot more than I do.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think EK also belongs on the 5 star list. Hainan and LH should come off, and probably OZ, too.

I would put NH at the very top, IMO they have best J product in the world (but have not flown QR). SQ is a tough one. They have polished service and excellent food. But the hard product in J I don't like at all and their customer service (reservations/ticketing) is horrible. BR to me is slightly below CX (pre-corona virus) but still a very good airline. The lounge situation at TPE is the biggest negative IMO.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I agree BR has an outstanding J product on the intra-Asia routes I fly. I am happy with the lounge situation at TPE, especially now with reduced travel. However multiple calls to their North America customer service line have been unsuccessful. I am merely told "due to high call volume" call back later. I am not even placed on hold. BR needs to address the high call volume.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I agree BR has an outstanding J product on the intra-Asia routes I fly. I am happy with the lounge situation at TPE, especially now with reduced travel. However multiple calls to their North America customer service line have been unsuccessful. I am merely told "due to high call volume" call back later. I am not even placed on hold. BR needs to address the high call volume.
Isn't the high call volume due to Covid-19?
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
I've called before, and was placed on long holds, but I have also been able to visit the local BR office (a 25 minute transit ride from my home) and sort out problems in-person.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would put NH at the very top, IMO they have best J product in the world (but have not flown QR). BR to me is slightly below CX (pre-corona virus) but still a very good airline. The lounge situation at TPE is the biggest negative IMO.
Do you mean the new J seats on NH? I agree those are great! I wonder why you rank CX above BR. I think BR beats out CX on long hauls (pre-protest/corona).

Originally Posted by username
Isn't the high call volume due to Covid-19?
Probably, but that's going to be an issue for the next few months, so they really should do something about staffing.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dave510
Do you mean the new J seats on NH? I agree those are great! I wonder why you rank CX above BR. I think BR beats out CX on long hauls (pre-protest/corona).
That's personal preference and I acknowledge it could go either way. I don't drink, so BR's superior wines are not a factor for me. I really like the CX style of service, though others may find it cold. CX has better AVOD. I also much prefer HKG over TPE for transfers.

I also like NH's business staggered seat on the 787s. To me, NH has the very best soft product in J. The service and food are simply outstanding.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's personal preference and I acknowledge it could go either way. I don't drink, so BR's superior wines are not a factor for me. I really like the CX style of service, though others may find it cold. CX has better AVOD. I also much prefer HKG over TPE for transfers.

I also like NH's business staggered seat on the 787s. To me, NH has the very best soft product in J. The service and food are simply outstanding.
All fair points. I’m more of a sucker for a good drink so that probably explains my preference for BR.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Dave510
Probably, but that's going to be an issue for the next few months, so they really should do something about staffing.
This is my point. Last summer there was high call volume due to the FA strike and associated cancellations. There is always something.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am surprised at the long wait. You can call any of their north American numbers. Yes it could be about 10 mins at the most but I have been able to get thru in less time than that. I called them even last week and got thru to one of their offices. I am presuming that you are in North America of course.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am curious why the OP was not allowed to film takeoff or landings - were they using something other than a cell phone? I've never had a problem on any airline recording or doing a FB live for a takeoff or landing - and none of the crew can even see what I am doing anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am curious why the OP was not allowed to film takeoff or landings - were they using something other than a cell phone? I've never had a problem on any airline recording or doing a FB live for a takeoff or landing - and none of the crew can even see what I am doing anyway.
FB Live? Are you transmitting during takeoff and landing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.