Is Eva Really a 5 star airline

Old Feb 27, 20, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
Is Eva Really a 5 star airline

Hi,
I recently flew eva'a A330 from tokyo to taipei. My experience on board was pretty good, except the fact that the crew did not want me to film during takeoff and landings. That being said, I don't think eva is that much different than other asian airlines, and I'm not sure if they really deserve 5 stars. Here is the video I made regarding the flight. Thanks for watching!
Old Feb 27, 20, 3:57 pm

I mean it was a 4h short-haul journey in Y on an A330, is that really enough to determine whether an airline deserves a Skytrax 5-Star rating? I sure as hell hope not.
Old Feb 27, 20, 4:46 pm

Given that most of the Asian carriers (CX, JL, NH, SQ) are 5-star, so yes, BR is similar to those. Especially in Y, not much difference.

Try flying some of the US carriers on a 6hr TCON -- pay for food, no in-seat entertainment, and US carrier in-flight service.
Violin1990 and Mendobrew like this.
Old Feb 27, 20, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Not sure the OP has enough detail to comply with FT rules on external links: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#externallinks

That said, does anyone really pay attention to Skytrax ratings? I mean, this is a company that awarded LH a 5-star rating back in 2017 in part for a business class product that hasn't even debuted as of today...
Old Feb 28, 20, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
That said, does anyone really pay attention to Skytrax ratings? I mean, this is a company that awarded LH a 5-star rating back in 2017 in part for a business class product that hasn't even debuted as of today...
lol, I was going to say compared to LH, BR is definitely a 5* airline.

And totally agree, a single regional flight is no basis for even asking this question.

I have no problem calling BR a 5* carrier. Definitely better than OZ.
Old Feb 28, 20, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I have no problem calling BR a 5* carrier. Definitely better than OZ.
Agreed. The easy way to think about it is - are there any non-5* carriers that deserve to be on that list? I'm not there is. Truth is, most Asian carriers are a step above their American counterparts. Living in NZ, I will go out of my way to avoid domestics in Europe and America - I'd rather transit in Asia and get as close to my final destination as possible.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:11 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Given their service compared to a lot of other airlines that say are 5 star I would say that BR is a 5 star alliance. The one thing that I don't like about BR is their boarding procedure.
Old Feb 28, 20, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by prelude View Post
Agreed. The easy way to think about it is - are there any non-5* carriers that deserve to be on that list? I'm not there is. Truth is, most Asian carriers are a step above their American counterparts. Living in NZ, I will go out of my way to avoid domestics in Europe and America - I'd rather transit in Asia and get as close to my final destination as possible.
To be fair to USA/Europe carriers, you are spoiled by getting to fly ANZ... It is such a nice airline and friendly staff.
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:51 am

BR is ok but I hate (and it happend a few times) that the FA on the way to HKG from TPE work so bloddy slow that we had to do go arounds a couple of times. If they can't clean the trays in an hour then don't serve a full meal.
Old Feb 28, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: AC, KL
BR service is stellar. I feel like the OP only posted to get views for their video.
Old Feb 28, 20, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
Originally Posted by BML87 View Post
BR service is stellar. I feel like the OP only posted to get views for their video.
BR service wasn't anything special on my flight... plus, the IFE screen were not very responsive
Old Feb 28, 20, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by east_west View Post
To be fair to USA/Europe carriers, you are spoiled by getting to fly ANZ... It is such a nice airline and friendly staff.

​​​​​​​Don't get me wrong I like Air NZ, but if I need to make a connection or two I vastly prefer taking Asian carriers, and I generally find the food consistently better. I'll take transiting in ICN/TPE over LAX/HKG anyway.
Old Feb 29, 20, 1:44 am

I recently flew SQ and had very high expectations given their reputation. I was not that impressed and posted my thoughts on the SQ forum. I was kind of ridiculed and attacked there by some regulars/SQ defenders. So, let's try not to do that to OP.

On that trip, I did SQ and NH long haul and BR, NH, NZ shortthaul (1.5-4 hours) - all in Y. I have to say NH (787-9) impressed the most. NZ was on a 737 and the service was very attentive (probably given its size) and creative.

For BR, I expected efficiency, reliability and consistency - that is what I got. The only thing that really turns me off about BR is that stupid safety video.

BR is definitely up there with the NH and SQ!
Old Feb 29, 20, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by BML87 View Post
I feel the same way. Definitely a publicity post for clicks and views IMO
Old Feb 29, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
In my experience with BR their long hauls are much better than the short hauls. Their PE is one of the best I think. Certainly a lot better than CX or AC in my experience.
But as every airline it depends on the crew if you have a great service or ordinary service..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: