Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

BR Adjusts Service/Schedule Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hayzel7773
Booking Changes
  • The airline has suspended all basic category bookings for Y and PE for flights April/May. J continues to offer Basic, Standard, and Up.
  • Singapore ticketing/booking office is temporarily closed to protect employees in accordance with guidance from the Singapore Ministry of Manpower.
  • Manila Town Office closed indefinitely to comply with the PH Government's Quarantine Order
  • NYC Office closed as an abundance of caution.
  • Unpublished but BR North America is currently struggling to cope with the influx of requests as well as the PHO of the State of California. Because they are deemed "essential", the airline is able to compel attendance but staff have been taking a heavy amount of leave, which is leaving them severely short-staffed.
Passenger Requirements
  • Prior to check-in, Pax must fill out the Health Declaration Form: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/2020-02-01-new-type-coronavirus-news.html?filter=
  • You must confirm at check-in you are symptom free for the last 14 days, and have your temperature taken.
  • If you refuse the temperature check or the medical declaration, you will be refused carriage. The refund waiver does not apply in this case; you forfeit the entirety of your ticket.
  • Pax found to have falsely declare their medical information are liable to prosecution under the Communicable Disease Act and BR has the right to collect any incurred cost, losses, or damages stemming from you.
Ground Experience
  • All lounge food items are now pre-packaged ready-to-eat snacks. Ice cream and self-serve removed.
  • Shower service, lockers, and computer service is temporarily suspended.
  • Lounge times/hours are adjusted to ensure sanitation. Currently, only one lounge is open every day. Hours are also extremely limited.

Flight Changes (All Changes are Indefinite)
  • All Hello Kitty services suspended, including the airport check-in and onboard products. Suspension began on April 1st. Flight attendants will no longer wear HK themed items (pins, aprons etc.).
  • All Duty Free Cart Sales suspended. Passengers must preorder via the Duty Free website.
  • Due to a catering supply chain issue in the UK, no special meals are offered on outbound LHR flights. Only limited tray service will be provided.
  • Immediate suspension of all preordering services online for RL/PL/Business.
  • Flights under 6-hours: Room Temperature, ready-to-eat snack bags provided to customers of all classes. Only vegetarian special meals are available.
  • Flights over 6-hours: Single tray food service provided to customers of all classes. Only medical, religious, vegetarian, and baby special meals are available.
  • No paper menus, toiletries, playing cards, or magazines/newspapers provided. Only hand soap is provided in the lavatories. Pens will be available on a limited-request basis.
  • Customers are encouraged to wear a mask unless it is meal time. You must supply your own mask, wipes, sanitizer etc. The airline will suspend the distribution of masks on request immediately.
  • Passengers are not permitted to:
    • Change seats unless instructed to do.
    • Congregate around the aircraft. You must remain seated unless you are using the lavatory.
    • Use restrooms designated "Crew Only"
    • Board if they do not pass the temperature check or they refuse it.
    • The PIC has authority to comply your compliance with all guidelines. You are subject to arrest, fine, or imprisonment for violating health guidelines onboard in accordance with the Communicable Disease Act and Civil Aviation Act of Taiwan. There will be no written warning to compel your cooperation, FA's are instructed to issue one verbal warning followed by PIC's determination of force. You will be banned from BR.
  • Flight crew and Cabin Crew will don the following PPE for your safety and their safety:
    • Goggles (Medical grade)
    • Masks (N95 or equivalent with a second surgical mask layer)
    • Waterproof Gloves
    • Gowns (FA's only)
Ticket Waivers
Valid for Tickets issued: On or Before Apr09 and must be submitted prior to Jun02 for the following periods:
Mainland China / Hong Kong /Macao Between 2020-01-20 and 2020-05-31
Singapore Between 2020-02-11 and 2020-05-31
Japan Between 2020-02-22 and 2020-05-31
Korea Between 2020-02-24 and 2020-05-31
Europe (except Italy) Between 2020-03-11 and 2020-05-31
*Italy Between 2020-02-18 and 2020-07-06
Australia Between 2020-03-20 and 2020-05-31
Others Between 2020-03-17 and 2020-05-31

If your ticket is in the waiver period:
  • Rebooking ONE time is permitted without a change fee. Fare Difference/Tax may be collected. No changes to routing or RBD permitted.
  • Refunds may be requested on rebooked flights, assuming you do not no-show the rebooked flight. "Refund Fee could be waived" (I guess it's their discretion on this)
  • If you are identified as a no-show for the original flight (failed to cancel before check-in closed), you are not eligible for the refund waiver. No-show fee cannot be waived if you want to reissue/rebook.
  • Refund fee waived; pax booking through BR are advised to submit the refund application online and await their response.
  • Pax booking through a travel agency have to cancel/refund via their agency. BR will not touch the ticket period. Calling them is no use and you are just clogging up the already busy phone lines. You need to sort it out with your TA!

EVA's Web Page on the Situation:
  • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/2020-02-01-new-type-coronavirus-news.html
  • Chinese: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/2019-nCoV.html
  • Best way to check cancellations might be to check your reservation: https://booking.evaair.com/flyeva/eva/b2c/manage-your-trip/log_in.aspx?lang=en-global
Taiwan CDC Guidelines / Info:
  • English: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/List/7tUXjTBf6paRvrhEl-mrPg
  • Case Distribution English: https://nidss.cdc.gov.tw/en/NIDSS_DiseaseMap.aspx?dc=1&dt=5&disease=19CoV
  • Chinese: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/Disease/SubIndex/N6XvFa1YP9CXYdB0kNSA9A
  • Case Distribution Chinese: https://nidss.cdc.gov.tw/ch/NIDSS_DiseaseMap.aspx?dc=1&dt=5&disease=19CoV
Taiwan Immigration Guidelines:
  • Table with current restrictions: https://ifi.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=18577&ctNode=36570&mp=ifi_en
  • Chinese: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5385/7229/7238/
Other Interesting Resources:
  • UDN Diagram of Cases in TW (in Chinese): https://udn.com/newmedia/2020/covid-19-taiwan/?utm_source=udnnews&utm_medium=tab
  • Dashboard by Johns Hopkins University: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
  • Worldometer: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Print Wikipost

BR Adjusts Service/Schedule Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It's a tough situation. Should I rescheduled it for December or should I ask for the refund. My only worry for December is would Eva be still flying and if so on the sectors I fly.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
According to a new company directive, a lav on each flight will be designated crew only.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:01 am

Just got off the phone with EVA.

Spent 3 weeks trying to call their local San Francisco number, finally got someone on the first try today by calling their Toronto number.
Agent was super helpful and pleasant, and walked me through the refund process. Turns out she is based in LA, but working through the Toronto office.

We were due to fly May 15th SFO - NRT and back KIX - SFO May 24th. Tickets have been cancelled, and we're losing about $200 a person due to penalties, but still able to recoup about 80% total cost.

TLDR: If you can't get through to the local US office you're trying to call- CALL TORONTO'S OFFICE INSTEAD (thank you dav662 for this info and DP!)
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boardingtheplane
We were due to fly May 15th SFO - NRT and back KIX - SFO May 24th. Tickets have been cancelled, and we're losing about $200 a person due to penalties, but still able to recoup about 80% total cost.
I am curious why you cancelled so soon. Wouldn't it be better to wait and see if they cancel first? Also, is the fare that much lower to go through Taiwan for Japan?

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I need to wait until 1 week before my departure date in order to cancel my flight via Expedia, yet I am watching EVA constantly change my itinerary. Originally booked P (premium eco) departure 06-Apr from YYZ. A few weeks ago this was changed to 07-Apr. Just now, I received another update that my flight will now depart from YVR on 08-Apr on B class (Eco Semi flex?) Seriously?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I need to wait until 1 week before my departure date in order to cancel my flight via Expedia, yet I am watching EVA constantly change my itinerary. Originally booked P (premium eco) departure 06-Apr from YYZ. A few weeks ago this was changed to 07-Apr. Just now, I received another update that my flight will now depart from YVR on 08-Apr on B class (Eco Semi flex?) Seriously?
Looks like March 27th is the last BR35/36 flight
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by username
I am curious why you cancelled so soon. Wouldn't it be better to wait and see if they cancel first? Also, is the fare that much lower to go through Taiwan for Japan?

Thanks.
When I spoke with Eva last week it's their recommendations too. Wait until the 1st of April at least to ask for refund for my flight end of May. Otherwise I have to pay a penalty. So I will wait until April before I apply for the refund.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:07 am

If I were you and if you paid for a pe I would push for an upgrade to business class if they have no pe on their flight.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think YVR is on the 787-9 now so no PE so you might be faced with a tough choice - flying across the country domestic + TPAC in Y or not go.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
UA is suspending TPE for April. I certainly BR keeps some North America routes going. https://hub.united.com/2020-03-17-un...645516655.html

Do they lose money if they fly an empty passenger 777 full of belly cargo TPAC?
Here is an article about cargo: https://udn.com/news/story/120974/4440932

It says now that factories on Mainland China are starting and playing catch-up, there is a huge demand on cargo. It says CI and BR are letting cargo forwarders charter their planes.

I don't understand the logic the article is describing since it keeps saying TPE-SHA but Mainland factories need to export...

It does say this for TPE-SHA...with the current pricing (went from NT$18 -> NT$60 per KG):
航空業者不諱言,現在載貨比載客有利,以777機型為例,座位最少有320多個,但往返台北上海的旅客僅個 位數,若改以777機型機腹載貨,滿載上看40噸,單趟運價上看240萬元,基本上等同載客率 九成以上。
777 passenger jet with 40 tons of cargo makes NT$2.4M "single trip" (whatever that means) which is like having a passenger load factor of 90+%.

It says BR has 5 cargo planes and CI has 18 - 1 (leased out) (bur article is about using passenger jets for cargo).
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by boardingtheplane
Just got off the phone with EVA.

Spent 3 weeks trying to call their local San Francisco number, finally got someone on the first try today by calling their Toronto number.
Agent was super helpful and pleasant, and walked me through the refund process. Turns out she is based in LA, but working through the Toronto office.

TLDR: If you can't get through to the local US office you're trying to call- CALL TORONTO'S OFFICE INSTEAD (thank you dav662 for this info and DP!)
I agree no point cancelling so early, you lose $200 cancelling now or later if situation gets better.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Was scheduled for BR17 March 30th SFO-TPE which has been cancelled (oddly Google Flights still shows it, but a new search on the EVA web site doesn't, only 3/28, 3/31, 4/1, 4/3, ...).

Which is fine with me, but unfortunately since I booked with UA miles now I get to go argue with them...
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:43 pm

I am going to ask for a refund on the 1st or 2nd of April. It's wise to do so.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I agree no point cancelling so early, you lose $200 cancelling now or later if situation gets better.
One possibility is BR goes the way of other carriers in not giving refunds, when they realize how much cash they are losing.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:46 pm

From the information I am getting from Taiwan, they are financially strong enough to survive and also the government is going to back them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.