Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

BR Adjusts Service/Schedule Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

BR Adjusts Service/Schedule Due to Coronavirus Outbreak

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 28, 20, 5:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: username
Wiki Link
EVA's Web Page on the Situation: Taiwan CDC Guidelines / Info: Taiwan Immigration Guidelines: Other Interesting Resources:






Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 20, 8:34 am
  #196  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Posts: 943
It's a tough situation. Should I rescheduled it for December or should I ask for the refund. My only worry for December is would Eva be still flying and if so on the sectors I fly.
dav662 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:37 am
  #197  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,844
According to a new company directive, a lav on each flight will be designated crew only.
hayzel7773 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 11:01 am
  #198  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Just got off the phone with EVA.

Spent 3 weeks trying to call their local San Francisco number, finally got someone on the first try today by calling their Toronto number.
Agent was super helpful and pleasant, and walked me through the refund process. Turns out she is based in LA, but working through the Toronto office.

We were due to fly May 15th SFO - NRT and back KIX - SFO May 24th. Tickets have been cancelled, and we're losing about $200 a person due to penalties, but still able to recoup about 80% total cost.

TLDR: If you can't get through to the local US office you're trying to call- CALL TORONTO'S OFFICE INSTEAD (thank you dav662 for this info and DP!)
boardingtheplane is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 12:40 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,347
Originally Posted by boardingtheplane View Post
...
We were due to fly May 15th SFO - NRT and back KIX - SFO May 24th. Tickets have been cancelled, and we're losing about $200 a person due to penalties, but still able to recoup about 80% total cost.
I am curious why you cancelled so soon. Wouldn't it be better to wait and see if they cancel first? Also, is the fare that much lower to go through Taiwan for Japan?

Thanks.
username is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 5:59 am
  #200  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, Accor Gold,, Hilton gold
Posts: 353
I need to wait until 1 week before my departure date in order to cancel my flight via Expedia, yet I am watching EVA constantly change my itinerary. Originally booked P (premium eco) departure 06-Apr from YYZ. A few weeks ago this was changed to 07-Apr. Just now, I received another update that my flight will now depart from YVR on 08-Apr on B class (Eco Semi flex?) Seriously?
wysiwyg is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:22 am
  #201  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,575
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I need to wait until 1 week before my departure date in order to cancel my flight via Expedia, yet I am watching EVA constantly change my itinerary. Originally booked P (premium eco) departure 06-Apr from YYZ. A few weeks ago this was changed to 07-Apr. Just now, I received another update that my flight will now depart from YVR on 08-Apr on B class (Eco Semi flex?) Seriously?
Looks like March 27th is the last BR35/36 flight
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 9:05 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Posts: 943
Originally Posted by username View Post
I am curious why you cancelled so soon. Wouldn't it be better to wait and see if they cancel first? Also, is the fare that much lower to go through Taiwan for Japan?

Thanks.
When I spoke with Eva last week it's their recommendations too. Wait until the 1st of April at least to ask for refund for my flight end of May. Otherwise I have to pay a penalty. So I will wait until April before I apply for the refund.
dav662 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 9:07 am
  #203  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Posts: 943
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I need to wait until 1 week before my departure date in order to cancel my flight via Expedia, yet I am watching EVA constantly change my itinerary. Originally booked P (premium eco) departure 06-Apr from YYZ. A few weeks ago this was changed to 07-Apr. Just now, I received another update that my flight will now depart from YVR on 08-Apr on B class (Eco Semi flex?) Seriously?
If I were you and if you paid for a pe I would push for an upgrade to business class if they have no pe on their flight.
dav662 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:55 am
  #204  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,347
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I need to wait until 1 week before my departure date in order to cancel my flight via Expedia, yet I am watching EVA constantly change my itinerary. Originally booked P (premium eco) departure 06-Apr from YYZ. A few weeks ago this was changed to 07-Apr. Just now, I received another update that my flight will now depart from YVR on 08-Apr on B class (Eco Semi flex?) Seriously?
I think YVR is on the 787-9 now so no PE so you might be faced with a tough choice - flying across the country domestic + TPAC in Y or not go.
username is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:17 pm
  #205  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,347
Originally Posted by username View Post
UA is suspending TPE for April. I certainly BR keeps some North America routes going. https://hub.united.com/2020-03-17-un...645516655.html

Do they lose money if they fly an empty passenger 777 full of belly cargo TPAC?
Here is an article about cargo: https://udn.com/news/story/120974/4440932

It says now that factories on Mainland China are starting and playing catch-up, there is a huge demand on cargo. It says CI and BR are letting cargo forwarders charter their planes.

I don't understand the logic the article is describing since it keeps saying TPE-SHA but Mainland factories need to export...

It does say this for TPE-SHA...with the current pricing (went from NT$18 -> NT$60 per KG):
航空業者不諱言,現在載貨比載客有利,以777機型為例,座位最少有320多個,但往返台北上海的旅客僅個 位數,若改以777機型機腹載貨,滿載上看40噸,單趟運價上看240萬元,基本上等同載客率 九成以上。
777 passenger jet with 40 tons of cargo makes NT$2.4M "single trip" (whatever that means) which is like having a passenger load factor of 90+%.

It says BR has 5 cargo planes and CI has 18 - 1 (leased out) (bur article is about using passenger jets for cargo).
username is offline  
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:52 am
  #206  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CAN, LAX, TPE
Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Posts: 2,714
Originally Posted by boardingtheplane View Post
Just got off the phone with EVA.

Spent 3 weeks trying to call their local San Francisco number, finally got someone on the first try today by calling their Toronto number.
Agent was super helpful and pleasant, and walked me through the refund process. Turns out she is based in LA, but working through the Toronto office.

We were due to fly May 15th SFO - NRT and back KIX - SFO May 24th. Tickets have been cancelled, and we're losing about $200 a person due to penalties, but still able to recoup about 80% total cost.

TLDR: If you can't get through to the local US office you're trying to call- CALL TORONTO'S OFFICE INSTEAD (thank you dav662 for this info and DP!)
I agree no point cancelling so early, you lose $200 cancelling now or later if situation gets better.
coolfish1103 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:16 pm
  #207  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 11,452
Was scheduled for BR17 March 30th SFO-TPE which has been cancelled (oddly Google Flights still shows it, but a new search on the EVA web site doesn't, only 3/28, 3/31, 4/1, 4/3, ...).

Which is fine with me, but unfortunately since I booked with UA miles now I get to go argue with them...
Zorak is offline  
Old Mar 26, 20, 7:43 pm
  #208  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Posts: 943
I am going to ask for a refund on the 1st or 2nd of April. It's wise to do so.
dav662 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 1:14 pm
  #209  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,460
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
I agree no point cancelling so early, you lose $200 cancelling now or later if situation gets better.
One possibility is BR goes the way of other carriers in not giving refunds, when they realize how much cash they are losing.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 1:46 pm
  #210  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Posts: 943
From the information I am getting from Taiwan, they are financially strong enough to survive and also the government is going to back them
dav662 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: