Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like there are developments on this front:

https://udn.com/news/story/7266/3000140 - BR7 and BR8 will be all volunteer cabin crew for the whole month starting March
https://udn.com/news/story/7241/3000087 - PEK will not use same-day-turn cabin crew during bad weather months

Not sure what they mean exactly but there is news.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by username
Looks like there are developments on this front:

https://udn.com/news/story/7266/3000140 - BR7 and BR8 will be all volunteer cabin crew for the whole month starting March
https://udn.com/news/story/7241/3000087 - PEK will not use same-day-turn cabin crew during bad weather months

Not sure what they mean exactly but there is news.
Probably means

"due to continued disagreement between management/union, rotating roster BR7/8 work will not be compulsory and be filled with either backup/standby/volunteered staff"
"because of tight deadline to max timeout or end of day, rather than risking them doing a turnaround flight back the same day, management will let them overnight in PEK instead. Basically the compromise is done on a risk-assessed basis on when delays were most likely to occur"

That is how i read it
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Probably means

"due to continued disagreement between management/union, rotating roster BR7/8 work will not be compulsory and be filled with either backup/standby/volunteered staff"
"because of tight deadline to max timeout or end of day, rather than risking them doing a turnaround flight back the same day, management will let them overnight in PEK instead. Basically the compromise is done on a risk-assessed basis on when delays were most likely to occur"

That is how i read it
This is the result of the 11th arbitration meeting. BR has forced the union to consult with them regarding strike terms and strike notice. The union claims they have done very little to improve the working conditions so they have no right to be discussing such things.

SFO volunteer schedule will most likely offer extra money(normally it is NT2500-5000). Anyways, the 3-day schedule ends in July. Of course, the union failed to mention this. The whole "informational" post they had was focused on trashing the company for proposing strike notices/terms and how the PEK proposal is completely unacceptable.

Next meeting is 3/27. Hopefully we don't see any protests between now and then.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
This is the result of the 11th arbitration meeting. BR has forced the union to consult with them regarding strike terms and strike notice. The union claims they have done very little to improve the working conditions so they have no right to be discussing such things.

SFO volunteer schedule will most likely offer extra money(normally it is NT2500-5000). Anyways, the 3-day schedule ends in July. Of course, the union failed to mention this. The whole "informational" post they had was focused on trashing the company for proposing strike notices/terms and how the PEK proposal is completely unacceptable.

Next meeting is 3/27. Hopefully we don't see any protests between now and then.
that is why union in this case is bad for business.

totally not negotiating but use media to hold company hostage.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a conversation with someone who works for a franchised US hotel chain in TPE. Their new expat GM apparently is conducting a lot of searches of employee lockers (I guess he somehow suspected the employees are thieves).

When I asked him if they had a union, he said no. The company has busted unions by using contractors to stay under the # of employee limit for years. So, in this case, I think a union would be beneficial.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme

that is why union in this case is bad for business.

totally not negotiating but use media to hold company hostage.
The media stands with the company though. Evergreen group has maintained excellent media relations throughout the years through the use of discounted/free tickets to press and other associated benefits. In return, the media often quells/quashes stories and other favors.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I had a conversation with someone who works for a franchised US hotel chain in TPE. Their new expat GM apparently is conducting a lot of searches of employee lockers (I guess he somehow suspected the employees are thieves).

When I asked him if they had a union, he said no. The company has busted unions by using contractors to stay under the # of employee limit for years. So, in this case, I think a union would be beneficial.
I'm not familiar with Taiwan law, but in all jurisdictions I'm aware of in the USA, searches of employee lockers are regarded by courts as an acceptable condition of employment. Perhaps more to the point, courts and legislation determine the legality of such issues - not unions.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
I'm not familiar with Taiwan law, but in all jurisdictions I'm aware of in the USA, searches of employee lockers are regarded by courts as an acceptable condition of employment. Perhaps more to the point, courts and legislation determine the legality of such issues - not unions.
I am sure it is legal but it is just does not make the employees feel good when a new expat GM thinks all his Taiwanese employees are thieves, right?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I am sure it is legal but it is just does not make the employees feel good when a new expat GM thinks all his Taiwanese employees are thieves, right?
This has nothing to do with your last post. Employees "feeling good" is a management issue, not a legal issue.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has nothing to do with your last post. Employees "feeling good" is a management issue, not a legal issue.
Huh, weren't you the one who brought up the legality of the locker searches? I was thinking the "feeling good" is a management, employee and union issue.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:05 pm

The union is adding BR265/266 to their demands of flights to be changed. They say that mgmt. continues to operate flights to PNH without a crew change even when they knew beforehand that they would work over 12 hours due to delays in TPE(or known delays they would face in PNH).

It will be interesting to see how CNX will operate(layover or not) when it starts.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:38 pm

Huh, weren't you the one who brought up the legality of the locker searches? I was thinking the "feeling good" is a management, employee and union issue.
"feeling good" != labor rights.

(the fact that I actually have to state that is a bit scary.)
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"feeling good" != labor rights.

(the fact that I actually have to state that is a bit scary.)
Glad I don't work for you ...and I did not use the word "rights".
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:57 pm

Glad I don't work for you ...and I did not use the word "rights".
It should be obvious that working for an employer who understands the difference between labor rights and management styles is preferable to working for one who doesn't.

(And again, that I actually have to state that is a bit scary.)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:36 am

EVA Air and TFAU held their 12th arbitration meeting yesterday, with no mentions of overnight rest. Instead, the consultations revolved around a guaranteed 60hr/month, the implementation of 2hr/1 day of annual leave, and the per diem adjustment to NT150.
1. 60hr./month was debated and BR said they had to get back to the union on this as they must consult with crew scheduling/C-suite.
2. 2hr./1 day of annual leave was debated but no agreement was made as BR claims that it is not sustainable. However, one should note that pilots get 1 annual day of leave per 3 hours of work.
3. For per diem, BR said that they are not CI and are not obligated to provide NT150 just because CI is doing it. The union says there is room for adjustment. They threatened the union with a CX-type per diem, meaning that only overnight flights will be getting per diem now, and turnarounds will not be paid per diem. The union objected.

in addition, BR bodes farewell to their cabin crew management division VP, who is being replaced by his deputy. Hope all is well in the future.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Mar 27, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.