FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   BR23 SEA-TPE cancelled after March 2018 ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1868519-br23-sea-tpe-cancelled-after-march-2018-a.html)

Transpacificflyer Dec 6, 2017 9:14 pm

Air Canada has a daytime direct flight to TPE at 11:50 AM and allows the Canadian pax who were hopping over the border don't have to do it anymore. BR's 1 am flight from YVR had been on the outdated B747 combi and once they moved to the B777 that was another reason for the Canadian pax not to go to Seattle. However, the killer has been the AC pricing.
In business;
January RT YVR-TPE - $3019 AC vs $4600 BR in $CAD
for comparison purposes and using $CAD SEA-TPE is $5800 with BR.
It's more killer on the LAX-TPE route, which is one that I used to use, with AC still $2,000 CAD less

I appreciate that BR can be considered a superior airline to AC in many ways, but the differentiating factor for the profitable business class customers in North America has been pricing and the savings potential is putting pressure on the US EVA hubs. It's only going to get worse as the $CAD depreciates in 2018 and US pax will be looking at significant cost savings if they fly out of Canada. (It will be quite the reversal from the mass exodus of Canadians to US border airports for the savings on flights south.)

hayzel7773 Dec 6, 2017 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 29144026)
Air Canada has a daytime direct flight to TPE at 11:50 AM and allows the Canadian pax who were hopping over the border don't have to do it anymore. BR's 1 am flight from YVR had been on the outdated B747 combi and once they moved to the B777 that was another reason for the Canadian pax not to go to Seattle. However, the killer has been the AC pricing.
In business;
January RT YVR-TPE - $3019 AC vs $4600 BR in $CAD
for comparison purposes and using $CAD SEA-TPE is $5800 with BR.
It's more killer on the LAX-TPE route, which is one that I used to use, with AC still $2,000 CAD less

I appreciate that BR can be considered a superior airline to AC in many ways, but the differentiating factor for the profitable business class customers in North America has been pricing and the savings potential is putting pressure on the US EVA hubs. It's only going to get worse as the $CAD depreciates in 2018 and US pax will be looking at significant cost savings if they fly out of Canada. (It will be quite the reversal from the mass exodus of Canadians to US border airports for the savings on flights south.)

EVA pricing just to TPE has always been more expensive than itineraries with connections onward.
Their main focus out of NA has never been on the Taiwanese, as Taiwanese are not loyal to their home carriers like other countries. If the Taiwanese want to take BR, they will fork out the money.

GeoSpark Dec 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Maybe Eva should consider Boston. I flown on a Cathay flight to Singapore and other destination in Asia with a stop in Hong Kong and the flight was very full from Boston. most passengers seem to be connecting onwards. Maybe Eva can get in on this since they want to be a transit airline. Cathay also flies the 777-300